PRGR 2016 RS Forged & Titans review

RLL33

Had a chance this week to hit the new PRGR irons in the RS series -- both the Forged MB and the Titan CB. And true to rep, these are fine feeling, great looking irons. 

IMG_4072.JPG

The Forged MB's were definitely special to me. Crisp, precise hits, great feel, and easily workable. I hit these with the stock NS Pro 95 S shaft, and the trajectory was a nice medium height rising kind of carry that flew long and had nice roll out. Size-wise, they're not quite as small as the blades I've been playing, but they definitely don't look like CB's when looking down at them at address. Interesting shape to the sole made them play well off both tight turf and rough.  Beautiful sound on strike gives great feedback on the hit, and the sweet spot seemed to be large and forgiving for a player's iron.

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

The Titan is a little larger, but not overwhelmingly so. It, too, has a great shape and appears surprisingly similar to the MB at address. The face is a little darker, and has a white line on the bottom groove that makes it super easy to set up. The CB has a channel separation at the base that, sure enough, reminded me of the Mizuno MP55 both in look and feel. This one jumps on impact with a slightly more energetic sound. Not a big topline at all for a CB. Def does NOT look like a GI iron at address. I hit it with both the stock carbon and the stock NS Pro 85 shafts. Both were a little lighter, and to my liking, produced a higher trajectory with a little more spin, and the distance bump was what you'd expect from a forgiving CB even if the feel was a little less precise than the forged.

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4088.JPG

Great irons for someone looking for a blade that's a little more forgiving or a CB that seems loaded with the new distance technologies that keep finding their way into the higher end irons.

--RLL

Edited by RLL33

Received mine yesterday. Can't wait to hit them. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Preliminary review:
Don't really have much time at the moment to go out and play golf but managed to sneak out and hit a bucket of balls with the new irons at a range nearby. Just took out the PW and the 7i. Pretty bad range with really bad balls. Sun was right on the face and I couldn't actually see where the ball was going which does not help. 
Bear in mind I'm coming from 2011 Onoff forged irons. 
First few hits even though impact looked alright on the face felt pretty hard and dull for some reason. As I couldn't see the ball flight I couldn't tell if at least the results were good. Very very confusing and disappointed. My fist thought was, why the F@#% did I sell my trusty Onoffs. I'm an idiot. 
But I continued hitting and slowly I started to groove in with the new irons. All of a sudden they felt very good. It is a different feel than the Onoffs. Not as marshmallow soft but at the same time more dampened if it makes sense. It is definitely a more synthetic feel rather than the pure soft forged feel of the onoffs. I still prefer the feel of the onoffs. But the PRGRs feel great. They definitely give you more feedback as well. The onoffs felt great, no matter where you hit it on the face. The PRGRs will let you know that you didn't strike the middle. By doing that I had the feeling that they were not as forgiving as the onoffs. Slowly the sun started setting and I could finally see the ball flight. For me it is a stronger more penetrating ball flight comparing to the onoffs. Not really sure about length as this is not the usual range that I go to and the balls were really bad. But if I had to guess, I believe these are a bit longer than the Onoffs which surprised me because the Onoffs are plenty long. I could also finally see the mis**ts and even thought they did not feel as good the were still going ok. Better than what the feel off the face suggested which leads me to believe that the are quite forgiving. 
By the end of the very short session I was hitting them beautifully. Very happy with those results at the end. Definitely need more time but I am quite confident that these will be good. Will report back once I spent more time with them. 
Just wanted to give a first impression. 

Nice read, indeed. They look great and sometimes that helps too :-)

• 4 years later...