Quadra Fire Express FW shaft in a driver?

kuyaariel

That would be unwise. These are meant for 215gram heads playing at 42/43. 

They em would be very very stiff odd in a driver. Unless someone had a gun to your head don't do it 

> These are meant for 215gram heads playing at 42/43

Adding 2.5 inches in length to 45 in driver adds 12.5 Swing weight points.

Reducing head weight by 20 grams to 195g driver head subtracts 12.5 Swing weight points.

The 20 grams less will make it play about 2/3 of a flex stiffer.

The additional length will reduce the stiffness some, difficult to estimate.

Lengthening also lowers the kick point.

Making it a 44" driver and adding about 6-8 grams tip weight would reduce the stiffness.

Edited by donnieu

On 2016-09-28 at 10:50 PM, kuyaariel said:

Its an uncut, 55g shaft. I'm not extending anything since I can get 45" easily. And with it being 55g, it's not a heavy shaft.  I'm not worried about swing weight.  I just don't know enough about the shaft if it's designed NOT to be in a driver.

FW shafts as you know are tipped so it will play a little bit stiffer in ur driver than it would in a FW.. For me stiffness doesnt really matter.. I can swing a x-stiff and a regular.. for me its all about feel.. some shafts are stout some are lively as you also know.. :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Can't hurt to try it. I've had some surprisingly positive results mixing shafts into clubs they weren't intended for -- especially drivers and fwy woods. Like D said, you can always pull it and save it for a fwy.

Thanks for the reply.  I've owned many JDM clubs, but not too many JDM shafts. 

I haven't seen too many USA shafts that were specifically "fairway wood" shafts.  Usually a heavier shaft that is tip trimmed some will go in a fairway in relation to the driver.

This particular shaft is labeled a "fairway" shaft, so, does that mean it's already tipped? At 55g it's the same weight as many of the light weight driver shafts.

Thanks. Yes, this shaft is new.

And sorry for my ignorance on this shaft. I now from experience that shafts need to be tipped for fairway woods, and tipped differently for different fairway woods ( .5" for 3 wood, 1" for 5 woods, 1.5" for 7 wood, etc). Is there guidance on this, or do you just insert this into the fairway wood head regardless of what wood it is?

17 hours ago, kuyaariel said:

Thanks. Yes, this shaft is new.

And sorry for my ignorance on this shaft. I now from experience that shafts need to be tipped for fairway woods, and tipped differently for different fairway woods ( .5" for 3 wood, 1" for 5 woods, 1.5" for 7 wood, etc). Is there guidance on this, or do you just insert this into the fairway wood head regardless of what wood it is?

You just insert it - I currently game a TRPX 1st messenger at SX - not tipped in my 3wood at 43,5.. I added 8 grams of rattlestop to the head to make the shaft more livlier... It feels MUCH better than it did without the 8 grams of added headweight.. 

There is no wrong or right.. experiment and you shall find whatever you like. :-) Look at tiger back in the days playing drivers at 43,5 inches.. 

It is very strange that their web site does not give tipping instructions.  It does say the parallel tip length is 70mm (2.75 inch).   The length of the parallel tip should be equal or more than the insertion depth into the hosel, which is usually 1.0 to 1.5 inches.   So you would be able to tip trim it if desired.   For a driver, I would not tip trim.