2017 Iron Recommendations

Lion Irons

Hey, I'm looking to purchase a new set of some JDM Irons. Does anyone have any knowledge of new irons for next year? I'm looking at those Mizuno MP66's, Vega VDC-01's, or something in the Miura lineup like the CB-501's. I know Miura and Vega hasn't released anything new in a while so that just has me thinking about paying a premium price for a product that was manufactured six years ago. Let me know what you guys think. I'm open to suggestions. 

I would wait to see what comes out at the Japan golf fair in February. OnOff seem to release a new forged iron when it's an 'odd' year, so 2017 should see a new release.

Miura typically does not release anything new until they have made improvements.  Most other manufacturers put out new stuff just to put out new stuff.  For instance, the Small "Baby" Blades were introduced in 2009 (I think).  Then again, not much to improve on with them.  IMO

15 hours ago, Ian-500 said:

I would wait to see what comes out at the Japan golf fair in February. OnOff seem to release a new forged iron when it's an 'odd' year, so 2017 should see a new release.

How is the feel for OnOff clubs? I like the soft feeling of Miura's 

36 minutes ago, Lion Irons said:

How is the feel for OnOff clubs? I like the soft feeling of Miura's 

For me based on what I've hit, since their 2011 forged iron release OnOff produce the softest feeling irons.....in the world. Miura irons in contrast are firmer feeling, even their baby blade. I would choose OnOff over Miura any day.

Let's start with some info about you:

current iron heads
next set do you want same size, a little smaller or a little larger

I'm 24 with a handicap of 4. I currently swing the Titleist 690 CB's.

I do like the size of them but I also am considering doing a combo set of MB, CB, and DI's.

What is your opinion on Miura CB57's? Once I started researching the accuracy of these boutique brands, I became obsessed with quality they provide. 

On October 28, 2016 at 10:32 AM, Lion Irons said:

I'm 24 with a handicap of 4. I currently swing the Titleist 690 CB's.

I do like the size of them but I also am considering doing a combo set of MB, CB, and DI's.

From personal experience, be careful with the combo set. At your level it's likely you'll soon wish you had gone full MBs. Just my 2¢...

Well Stew, that may differ from person to person I think. I used to be a very good iron player, had 13 GIR+ last two years in college, but sucked at putting and chipping. Back then it was easy to play any iron out there, I played Honma 717PP. Now though with 7 rounds per year and a total of 100 balls on the range, per year, not the same ball striker. I still can't stand to look at shovels, but the Yamaha Tourmodel 2009 I got from you a long, long time ago are really nice in the long irons but I would not mind blades for 7-p. Anyways, I wish I could hit my Yonex ezone mb well after not playing for 8 months but it doesn't work that way for me at least. Thus I think combos are awesome, if you can find a good match between the 6 and 7 or wherever you want to draw the line. Often aligning the loft is not enough and the 6 will be 16-18 yards longer than the 7. That is a problem.

Okay, so what MB's do you guys recommend? I prefer a softer feeling ball strike. I've never owned a set of MB's, I've only had hammy-down CB's my entire life. I would also consider getting my 5 & 4 iron in CB's just because I feel like I can be super aggressive with a bigger sweet spot. 

3 hours ago, bngolfer said:

Well Stew, that may differ from person to person I think. I used to be a very good iron player, had 13 GIR+ last two years in college, but sucked at putting and chipping. Back then it was easy to play any iron out there, I played Honma 717PP. Now though with 7 rounds per year and a total of 100 balls on the range, per year, not the same ball striker. I still can't stand to look at shovels, but the Yamaha Tourmodel 2009 I got from you a long, long time ago are really nice in the long irons but I would not mind blades for 7-p. Anyways, I wish I could hit my Yonex ezone mb well after not playing for 8 months but it doesn't work that way for me at least. Thus I think combos are awesome, if you can find a good match between the 6 and 7 or wherever you want to draw the line. Often aligning the loft is not enough and the 6 will be 16-18 yards longer than the 7. That is a problem.

How'd you like the Honma's? What do you think about the newly released ones?

6 hours ago, supo said:

Combo schmbo.

Get a full set of something decent.

Combos are anhalf ass way to say im too  scared to hit my irons witj autjority!

What do you hit now?

Those Honmas were nice. 20 years old though now.. Have not hit Honmas since 1999 besides a di that I have now.

I highly recommend the Miura Small "Baby" Blades.  People shy away from them because they are blades, lofts aren't jacked up, and they are SMALL.  Honestly, I truly believe that they will make you a better and more consistent ball striker.  As far as CB's with the longer irons, I am not the one to ask because I carry 2 iron down to 56⁰ wedge.  I am not a fan of the hybrid clubs.  I do not feel that I need to be "rescued". 

Miura MB 001 blades are great, a tad larger than the baby and a very good combo is the Epon AF Tour / 302