Epon AF-702 vs. PXG 0311XF

nicu2001

I play AF-702s with Fujikura MCI 100-S and got to hit PXG for the first time today. After going through some shaft combos I was hitting the 0311XF 10-15 yards longer with a regular Recoil 95 F4 with less dispersion (no MCI there for comparison). At face value it seems PXG was a clear winner but the PXG did not "feel" as good as the 702s and were chunkier at address. Almost reminded me of AP1s. While the numbers do not lie, is it possible the shaft was the winner here vs. the club head?  My fitter said the MCI 100-S was a bit too stiff for me.  Should I check out the Epon 703s?  Kinda want a new set but not at the expense of feel or performance.  I will say I loved the PXG 56 wedge. I am an 11 index.

Thanks!

Are the PXG and Epons the same loft? 10-15 yards seems too much otherwise.

it's all subjective. I have 702s and PXG irons and the PXG's are clearly the best feeling to me. Not noticing much difference in distance. Getting the right shafts is clearly a key component.  I'm using Steelfiber 95s.

Yes, oviously subjective. I need to hit both with the same shaft to really compare. Found a place that has 703s and PXG so will test that out next week. Appreciate the comments. 

On a side note no matter what they tried their hybrids could not come close to my Ryoma U utility's!!  The guy was shocked at them. 

Both PXG and 7 series are not designed to be "feel" in MY opinion.

step 1 - define what exactly feels good to you 

step 2 - find irons that have the design to create that type of feel

- there is spongy soft,  dead soft,  only soft in the center for feedback,  one piece soft,  2 piece soft etc.. etc..

I deal with a lot of purists who want soft centers and feedback on mishits and agree with them that the best feel can only come from a blade.  I personally think blade + carbon shaft is the best.

I game 503 with recoils - I love the feeling of the shaft!! The head is not as mushy smooth as my old tourstage 705-m but with this shaft they come alive and feel very nice!

Before this set I got epon 501 with steelfibers - the heads were what felt good in this combo - the steelfibers are dull and boring for me... The recoils are another level in my mind

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 2:07 PM, wedda said:

I game 503 with recoils - I love the feeling of the shaft!! The head is not as mushy smooth as my old tourstage 705-m but with this shaft they come alive and feel very nice!

Before this set I got epon 501 with steelfibers - the heads were what felt good in this combo - the steelfibers are dull and boring for me... The recoils are another level in my mind

Recoils do feel better than steelfibers but based on feedback they are not as accurate.  It's kind of like Mitsubishi OT vs MCI,  the Fuji is tighter while the mitsu feels better and launches higher.  Shafts play a big roll in feel.

3 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Recoils do feel better than steelfibers but based on feedback they are not as accurate.  It's kind of like Mitsubishi OT vs MCI,  the Fuji is tighter while the mitsu feels better and launches higher.  Shafts play a big roll in feel.

I changed clubs Miura 501 to epon 501 with steelfibers.. I shot my lowest rounds ever the 2nd.. 3rd.. 4th round after getting the steelfibers... maybe they were meant for me.. but.. I didnt like the feeling at all and I think if it doesnt feel right and I play well I'm not going to game it anyway.. :D 

Chris what graphite shaft do you think is the best performance-wise? Steelfiber / Fire express / MCI/OT / Bangvoo? =)

• 3 weeks later...
On October 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM, nicu2001 said:

Yes, oviously subjective. I need to hit both with the same shaft to really compare. Found a place that has 703s and PXG so will test that out next week. Appreciate the comments. 

On a side note no matter what they tried their hybrids could not come close to my Ryoma U utility's!!  The guy was shocked at them. 

I'm trying to decide between the same clubs, what did you decide and why?

• 4 weeks later...