JDM counterbalanced shafts - are there any?

Ian-500

Woods or irons in graphite.

Thanks Mags. I have the Fubuki J, and it's an excellent shaft. I was just wondering if there were boutique jdm shafts (Quadra/Crazy/Muziik/Waccine/Syncographite etc) that may have a counterbalanced profile.

Most brands are not marketing if their shafts are counterbalance but many in Japan use an extra material to stiffen the butt section depending on the profile of that model.

Do you guys find anything noticeable with counter balanced wood shafts?  There are many ways to counterbalance a club at the club-makers or manufacturing level.  

The KBS tour steel shafts are counterbalanced to an extent. I like them as they are heavy enough. In a driver though it would not be for me. I like to feel the head and I play my drivers shorter than standard - typically 44.5". I assume that counterbalancing is mostly something for longer drivers? The head weight must be up there around of over 200 grams or it will feel like a fishing rod. Or am I wrong?

1 hour ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Most brands are not marketing if their shafts are counterbalance but many in Japan use an extra material to stiffen the butt section depending on the profile of that model.

Do you guys find anything noticeable with counter balanced wood shafts?  There are many ways to counterbalance a club at the club-makers or manufacturing level.  

The only thing I noticed was that they 'seem' to fit my swing. I had a driver shaft fitting recently and narrowed it down to 3 shafts that were all counterbalanced to some degree in their design. I was just wondering if there were any specific models that guys know of from the jdm side of things.

16 minutes ago, Ian-500 said:

The only thing I noticed was that they 'seem' to fit my swing. I had a driver shaft fitting recently and narrowed it down to 3 shafts that were all counterbalanced to some degree in their design. I was just wondering if there were any specific models that guys know of from the jdm side of things.

I guess I never knew these were counterbalanced shafts or considered that.   The Fuji techs in Japan we talk to haven't mentioned anything about counterbalancing to us.  any additional info on this?  I'm trying to figure out what makes these counterbalanced and how many grams etc..  

56 minutes ago, Swizbeatz said:

For me they tend to launch higher and have tendency to turn left a little less.  Lots of them on tour in fairways, tour blue and hazardous red are both popular.  Oban just came out with the "devotion high balance" which is a great looking shaft IMO.  

Tested the Devotion HB but it didn't give me the numbers. The Kyoshi HB, now that's a different story. Awesome shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ian, so base on your researched, what are the other counter balance driver shafts? Do you mind sharing the list of driver shafts you found that are counter balance?

Counterbalance driver shaft seems to work best for me so far. Fubuki J, Fuji Speeder Evo 2 and the UST chrome is pretty good.

So we have the ones you've mentioned plus the one I have, Fubuki J series, Fujikura Speeder Evo 2, UST Elements Chrome and UST Mamiya Launch Control.

What my builder told me: Oban Kyoshi HB and Devotion HB, Fujikura Speeder XLR8 Pro.

What I've read online, so take them with a pinch of salt: UST Axivcore Black, Blue and Red, Nventix's Nunchuk, Aldila RIP Gamma, Habanero, Serrano, and Wasabi, Fujikura Blur, Miyazaki Kena Blue, Graphite Design Tour AD Quattrotech, Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue and Red Supercharged.

I couldn't find much info on JDM specific shafts.

Edited by Ian-500

5 hours ago, magpies said:

Thanks for the info Ian. Ust element chrome is counter balance. What about the ust element chrome plus?

Don't know, but more than likely.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian I just tried this new counter balance shaft. Attas g7. Amaze ballsssss. thinking about getting it.

So far the top 2 counter balance driver shaft for me are fujikura speeder evo 2 and attas g7. 

Edited by magpies

1 hour ago, magpies said:

Ian I just tried this new counter balance shaft. Attas g7. Amaze ballsssss. thinking about getting it.

So far the top 2 counter balance driver shaft for me are fujikura speeder evo 2 and attas g7. 

Don't tell me that, as I've just missed out in a 6x and 7x on eBay! Aggghhhhh.

I need to try one out ?

52 minutes ago, magpies said:

I'm thinking whether should I go 5sr or 5s ?

What head did you test it on?

• 2 weeks later...

The Kamui Pro Tour-S & Tour-X shafts are counterbalanced.

http://www.kamuipro.co.jp/product/tp05s.html

I have a Tour-X on my TP05s.  Seems like a decent shaft, firm feel throughout.  The Tour-X seems to play only a slight bit stiffer than a normal S though.

On 12/16/2016 at 9:04 AM, Ian-500 said:

So we have the ones you've mentioned plus the one I have, Fubuki J series, Fujikura Speeder Evo 2, UST Elements Chrome and UST Mamiya Launch Control.

What my builder told me: Oban Kyoshi HB and Devotion HB, Fujikura Speeder XLR8 Pro.

What I've read online, so take them with a pinch of salt: UST Axivcore Black, Blue and Red, Nventix's Nunchuk, Aldila RIP Gamma, Habanero, Serrano, and Wasabi, Fujikura Blur, Miyazaki Kena Blue, Graphite Design Tour AD Quattrotech, Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue and Red Supercharged.

I couldn't find much info on JDM specific shafts.

Thanks for info on the Kamui shaft. So far it's the only JDM shaft we've found that is counterbalanced.

To add to the ones already mentioned by myself and others, the Attas Punch, The UST Elements Chrome + and Chrome (Prototype) Platinum, Fujikura Pro XLR8 and SIX XLR8.

Any others?

• 2 months later...

Just read that the Fire Express RB shaft is counter balanced. Has the latest and greatest Torayca1100 material in the tip too.

Need......to.....try.....one

9 hours ago, D22marshall said:

Ian I have tried the rb was a 6sx it's a fun shaft really releases nice,

if it was the x I would have kept it.

i have the evo2 661x ATM and don't see it getting changed out.

Will keep a look out for an RB6x in future. Thanks Dean.

Heard loads of good things about the EvoII 661. Need to try one of these too....

Edited by Ian-500

All of Waccine Compo's shafts are counter balanced.  Very high quality made by Fujikura but with Harada-san's own designs.  Most high end shafts have 10-12 layers waccine has 15-21 layers.  Harada-san used to handle design and making of Taylormades tour players custom shafts.