jBEAM ZY-11.......my review

Ian-500

Finally got this built yesterday. Long story short, my builder couldn't get me one of these shafts from USTmamiya so I had to source one. Looks like they've been discontinued for 2017. USTmamiya told me that the Elements Chrome is a very similar (counterbalanced) design if I need another shaft in the future.

I think it looks absolutely stunning. A guy at the builders said "what the hell is that?" Lol.

20161212_154755.jpg

20161212_154807.jpg

Spec is:

Loft: 10*.

FA: square.

Head weight: 207g.

Shaft: USTmamiya Launch Control LL 6F5 tipped 1".

Club plays at a length of 44" and a SW of D1.8.

Review from the range

I went straight to the range from my builders, and took along my TS X-Drive 905 for a 'feel' comparison, and my Cally fti-z for a 'forgiveness' comparison. I had high expectations for this driver/shaft combo. My no.1 goal is accuracy, with some distance following centre strike after centre strike!

After not much of a warm up (just couldn't wait ANY longer), my first strike produced a very low launched pull. Low and out of the toe. After a few more swings I was still experiencing a low launch, lower than my 905, so I experimented with changing the tee height which definitely helped. It wasn't as forgiving as the fti-z, and my 905 felt a tad softer off the face but I liked the sound of the jBEAM. More on that later. The jBEAM 'seemed' straighter though. My main problem with the range session yesterday was I just couldn't make out the distance of each drive. They seemed every bit as good as my other two drivers, but I was a little underwhelmed when I left. Admittedly, I was faced with this:

20161212_154854.jpg

Review from the course

Now we're talking. I played 9 holes this afternoon, and hit 4 out of 5 fairways. Never been this consistent at this course. Plays over 3600yds.  I experimented with a variety of tee heights and there was only the slightest difference in height of ball flight. I always like drivers that you can swing out of your shoes with, and this thing did it with aplomb today. I think it laughed at my swing, kinda saying "is that all you've got" :) Talking of ball-flight, it was very flat and penetrating. Can't wait to get some trackman numbers. I expect less than 2000 spin.

I saw a YouTube video by meandmygolf at the TM launch over the past week. They had Dustin Johnson there hitting a few drives (300+ carry). He sets up for a fade, so I thought I'd try one today on a 402yd Par 4 off an elevated tee box. Tee'd it lowish and BOOOOM, leaving me a little 50* wedge to the green;

20161213_142519.jpg

The sound is like hitting a nail with a hammer. A muted thwack. Like a beer can full of cork. The only simile's I've got!! Very excited to see what this driver can do in the summer. Bring it on.

The Three Amigos

20161212_152233.jpg

Edited by Ian-500

This review is encouraging.. I just got a white ZY-11 (11*) and a TourAD BB 6X for it but haven't put it together yet. The more I read about this head the more it sounds too good to be true, I truly hope that's not the case ha 

I love my FT-IZ.... I have tried many clubs over the last few years and I am down to gaming the ZY-11 and plan on using it for a long time. If it stops working for some reason I'm going back to Cally as it is such an easy club to hit. Best of luck. 

Just received my brand new Zy-11 with 2016 AAA Basileus today from Chris. Can't wait until Friday to let the beast out of the cage

Seems like you don't like it Ian. You have my address. ?

1 minute ago, bngolfer said:

Seems like you don't like it Ian. You have my address. ?

Hahahaha you cheeky chops ?

I'm hoping this stays in the bag a long time......

I bet it will Ian. Great looking combo to say the least! But come January, you know where to find me ?

4 hours ago, liftsheavy said:

I love my FT-IZ.... I have tried many clubs over the last few years and I am down to gaming the ZY-11 and plan on using it for a long time. If it stops working for some reason I'm going back to Cally as it is such an easy club to hit. Best of luck. 

Yes, it's one of the better Callaway drivers. It's there if I need it :)

5 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

This review is encouraging.. I just got a white ZY-11 (11*) and a TourAD BB 6X for it but haven't put it together yet. The more I read about this head the more it sounds too good to be true, I truly hope that's not the case ha 

That sounds like a great combo. Let us know how it goes.

Sounds like a gun going off ?

Well, it does on my phone anyway!!

VID_122210513_071353.mp4

Edited by Ian-500

And it doesn't sound this loud or high pitched either. Weird.

OK. That definitely sounds strange......and I really really wanted to try it. :)

Nice write up Ian.

Ever since getting my hands on kamui tp07, i just cannot find a worthy rotation until the zy11. I got a recommendation from a top chap here to try fujikura evo2 661 & it is low spin bomber but can also be used for controlled drives. Not a muted as the foamed tp07 but i really like the sound. Beautiful flat launch.

Now i can pick any of these two as they are both performers.

1 hour ago, Eca said:

Nice write up Ian.

Ever since getting my hands on kamui tp07, i just cannot find a worthy rotation until the zy11. I got a recommendation from a top chap here to try fujikura evo2 661 & it is low spin bomber but can also be used for controlled drives. Not a muted as the foamed tp07 but i really like the sound. Beautiful flat launch.

I spoke to Tuan about his ZY-11 and he told me you took it -  I was hoping you didn't like it and would take it off your hands, but I am guessing this is not happening anytime soon :-( 

Hey J,

Yea remember the kamui magic during the Vic Champs a couple of years ago? Finally a driver that matches it! & i tried a few. Always worried, i break it & i have to grab an oem until i can rebuild lol.

I thought you had one with 7dreamers?

5 minutes ago, nudgeegolf said:

I spoke to Tuan about his ZY-11 and he told me you took it -  I was hoping you didn't like it and would take it off your hands, but I am guessing this is not happening anytime soon :-( 

On 12/21/2016 at 7:46 AM, Eca said:

Nice write up Ian.

That is exactly the combo I had. Absolutely perfect.