Need honest, logical answer for purchase recommendation between Honma tw727v orMiura CB-1008 or MB-5005

Vincenti

Guys,

Frankly I am tired reading irrational, mythical, one sided reviews and comments around certain JDM brands. I need an really a honest and useful comments for these iron types:

1.  Miura MB-5005: looks nice but cavity design is really weird because normally mass is concentrated behind sweet spot to create highest torque and momentum. This is a simple physics. Forgiveness in on question, but I think with large club it must be forgiving. And the most important thing is: it is a "blade" and that tempts me so much. everybody wants to play blades as long they are easy to hit. ;)

2. Miura CB-1008: design has better common sense than MB-5005 but it resembles my current club very much (honma tw901). What t chnical advantages will I get by switching?

3. Honma tw727V: basically an iteration from my older club with expectation that 6 years younger club can bring some forgiveness. But I doubt it, from outside the finish quality is certainly lower than tw-901. I think currently everybody is pressing production cost to survive the economy.

4. Mizuno MP-4: is my last option, for $450 is a steal, by technology they must be close the the previous three minus brand snobs. 

I always like Honma for their finish quality, I saw and touch Miura clubs and I don't see any indication for the highly praised precision from outside, it's simply a hand grinded clubs. A CNC machine can never be beaten by human hands and please don't tell me that Mr. Miura has God hands. I also hit some passing point models and CB-501, yes they are soft with a bit click sound but it's not like addictive gourmet restaurant. It's simply a nice clubs.

Since I can get Honma for $200 less, I am still justifying my purchase for Miura. I don't change clubs that often and ready to spend more but not for bullcraps and hypes.

Thank you guys for your response in advance.

(Currently I use Honma TW 901. They are good, feels at at sweet spots. But they already have a lot of scratches and dings)

thank you!

Fella im still backed up against the wal,after reading that assault!

if tehy are simply chunks  of  simple steel.

Grab some tm pos for10 bucks.

personally id go the honmas 

i have no idea what ur On about that thier finsih is crap , its fricken awsome mate ,honma upped thier game3yrs back the717on is  top of the  range  its bloody good!,

and pls dont turn this joint into another miura hater place  the dad aint made culbs in years. His hands have been  retired   Above st peters  mantle piece long ago, the kids do all the yaka now.

u want some  easy blades,  grab some srixon 945 or epon af tours

Yes lot's of stupid in this post.  

I think Honma is the best on that list in design and quality.  TW-BM is a stud!

I get lots of feedback good and bad and the CB-1008 has not lived up to what I thought it would ( based on feedback )  Lots of positive,  Lots of meh and a few negatives.  

Honma hardcore users rarely post in forums I find and tend to keep their irons for a long time and become repeat customers of the brand.

MP-4 is the workable brother of the MP-5 which is geared toward forgiveness.  

Purists tend to switch often and keep more boutique brands in rotation.

CNC vs Hand vs Mass Produced - based on what?  It's only preference there is no better or worse.  

8 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Yes lot's of stupid in this post.  

I think Honma is the best on that list in design and quality.  TW-BM is a stud!

CNC vs Hand vs Mass Produced - based on what?  It's only preference there is no better or worse.  

Thanks Chris.

Yes, I think Internet is too biased and very difficult to get objective point of views. The crowd will always be polarized into two groups: lovers and haters. And like other hobbies, from lovers comes esoteric cult :))

I think I made up my mind. I keep my 10 years old TW and look for new iteration from Honma.

Rgds,

Edited by Vincenti

I've been gaming a set of Honma 727vn in black nickel finish for 6 months. They are so sweet in every way that I can say with utmost confidence that they are the best JDM irons I have ever played and I have tried my fair share.

The IB Vizard shafts and W-forged heads are in perfect balance. They are beautiful to look at and hit.

Honestly I've more or less stopped Ho'ing JDM. I just stick to Honma for irons and Ryoma and Romaro for woods.

Edited by laudney

Not much talk about Honma here. I switched to their more forgiving iron set IS-05. Glad I did couldn't be more happier.

5 hours ago, JBW said:

Laudney,

Which Vizards did you go with; IB85, IB95, or IB105?  And what flex?  And can I ask your 6I swing speed?  

I've been looking at Homa for the last couple of weeks, but can't find any reviews on the Vizard iron shafts.  Thanks.

Joe

Joe, mine are IB95 in stiff. I originally thought they might be a tad too light but in the end they felt great.

My driver SS is around 105mph. I hit my 6 iron about 165 yards carry. My steel shafts are Nippon modus 125 stiff.

23 minutes ago, laudney said:

Joe, mine are IB95 in stiff. I originally thought they might be a tad too light but in the end they felt great.

My driver SS is around 105mph. I hit my 6 iron about 165 yards carry. My steel shafts are Nippon modus 125 stiff.

Do your Vizards feel comparable to your 125s as far as flex/torque is concerned?   Do they play soft, stiff, or just about right?

I have the 125s i my MB-5005s, so this will be a good baseline for me to go off of.  Thanks again and appreciate your insight.

1 hour ago, JBW said:

Do your Vizards feel comparable to your 125s as far as flex/torque is concerned?   Do they play soft, stiff, or just about right?

I have the 125s i my MB-5005s, so this will be a good baseline for me to go off of.  Thanks again and appreciate your insight.

How happy are you with your MB-5005? Are they forgiving and consistent (distant, dispersion) enough?

Their shape is pure a love or hate design.

5 hours ago, JBW said:

Flex-wise it feels just about right. IB shafts dampen a lot of vibration so when you hit them it feels very very smooth compared with steel shafts.

On 1/2/2017 at 4:11 PM, supo said:

i have no idea what ur On about that thier finsih is crap , its fricken awsome mate ,honma upped thier game3yrs back the717on is  top of the  range  its bloody good!,

See the picture below tw901 has better finish than tw727.

IMG_0369.JPG

4 hours ago, Vincenti said:

See the picture below tw901 has better finish than tw727.

IMG_0369.JPG

Not sure how you make that call from that pic?

Finished at the same place by the same people at Sakata.

one is half mirror the other is full chrome + 2 different bead blasts to remove any glare.

Any difference is purely intentional.   

9 hours ago, bngolfer said:

Not sure how you make that call from that pic?

- Writings on 901 has cleaner edges while in 727 you can see that it is stamped with high pressure.

- Fonts for clubnumber on 901 is somehow thinner and more classy

- Paint on writings on 901 is more even like it has been done very carefully

- You can see grind traces on 727 clubface (use a magnifier if you can't, I saw Miura and it has more visible grind traces).

- Ferrule on 901 has gold ring

- And TW901 sole has an slight S curve for gliding the turf while TW727 has straight lines. (For me it's like a Porsche's detail :))

My Assumption:

Tw901 belongs to Beres lines not TourWorld (I also spent more dollars for the that clubs than for the tw727).
Maybe they create a new line, the Tour World line for pro and serious golfer who don't prioritize the finishing quality above functions. I saw the new Beres IS-05 line and I have to say their details are there and very astonishing.

TW727 is still a damn very very great club. It was my observation only and has nothing to do with functions.

PS: Long time ago I worked simulating robotic arms for high pressure hydraulic press control system for various applications such as pre-forming press for automobile piston blocks etc. It is amazing that similar process is used intensively for making golf clubs. 

Edited by Vincenti

To me, all the "evidence" is personal preference. Font, gold ring, grind marks, s-curve etc. But that is fine.

3 hours ago, bngolfer said:

To me, all the "evidence" is personal preference. Font, gold ring, grind marks, s-curve etc. But that is fine.

Tw72x series are now on sale. I got one set already! Highly recommended.

14 hours ago, Vincenti said:

- Writings on 901 has cleaner edges while in 727 you can see that it is stamped with high pressure.

- Fonts for clubnumber on 901 is somehow thinner and more classy

- Paint on writings on 901 is more even like it has been done very carefully

- You can see grind traces on 727 clubface (use a magnifier if you can't, I saw Miura and it has more visible grind traces).

- Ferrule on 901 has gold ring

- And TW901 sole has an slight S curve for gliding the turf while TW727 has straight lines. (For me it's like a Porsche's detail :))

My Assumption:

Tw901 belongs to Beres lines not TourWorld (I also spent more dollars for the that clubs than for the tw727).
Maybe they create a new line, the Tour World line for pro and serious golfer who don't prioritize the finishing quality above functions. I saw the new Beres IS-05 line and I have to say their details are there and very astonishing.

TW727 is still a damn very very great club. It was my observation only and has nothing to do with functions.

PS: Long time ago I worked simulating robotic arms for high pressure hydraulic press control system for various applications such as pre-forming press for automobile piston blocks etc. It is amazing that similar process is used intensively for making golf clubs. 

The clubs are made differently,  with different materials and process.  One is cast,  the other is forged,  stamping vs engraving,  different finishes on top of that.    I'm not making an assumption I'm just telling you how it is.  

I don't want TSG'ers misinformed.

On 1/11/2017 at 1:29 AM, TourSpecGolfer said:

The clubs are made differently,  with different materials and process.  One is cast,  the other is forged,  stamping vs engraving,  different finishes on top of that.    I'm not making an assumption I'm just telling you how it is.  

I don't want TSG'ers misinformed.

All of these years I thought my club is a forged one :(