Vega Wedges - Very confused!

karansivi

Hi guys! New to this forum!

I have the chance to get some Vega wedges but I unfortunately will not be able to try any of them beforehand.

I was hoping you guys could inform me on the models as there is very little info online.

I am going to play a 54* and 58*.

On the Vega site, it shows that all their different lofts have the same bounce across all the models, which I found to be a bit strange.

I also thought it was strange that the 54* wedges have 10* bounce while 58* have 13*. Normally you see lower bounce in the lob wedge.

So about my game:

I played my best wedge play with the original Vokey Spin Milleds, 54/10 and 58/08. I then wanted to get something new, and I am very picky about looks, and I like a small, teardrop shape, so I got some SCOR wedges. They were great when it's dry out, but when the ground was soft I found them to dig too much. (I live in the SF East Bay Area)

I like to use the bounce on my shots and that means letting the sole hit the turf a little before the ball sometimes, and these wedges were not good for this.

I definitely hit full shots with both 54's and 58's. Bunker shots would primarily be with 58, as would most shots around the green. I also like to open the face a bit and hit flops with the 58. But it is important it is not prone to digging on square face pitches and chips, for both wedges. My swing mechanics are fairly textbook other than that. I make normal sized divots, etc.

Are you guys able to recommend any head over the other between VW-02/04/06/08/10? I'm in no hurry

Also, do all these wedges have the same profile at address? Or are they different?

Thank you!

You have the opportunity to buy many wedges,  I would not consider Vega over what's out there.  

I suggest Crazy Tour Wedge,  A-Grind,  Modart T55, Honma's new TW-W, Mizuno Yoro's etc..

Some MCI Solid or Mild shafts built to a nice heavy swing weight and your length with the proper lie and grip/size for you.

4 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

You have the opportunity to buy many wedges,  I would not consider Vega over what's out there.  

I suggest Crazy Tour Wedge,  A-Grind,  Modart T55, Honma's new TW-W, Mizuno Yoro's etc..

Some MCI Solid or Mild shafts built to a nice heavy swing weight and your length with the proper lie and grip/size for you.

Thanks, but I am able to get the Vega wedges for under $50 a piece which is why

I would listen to Chris.

The wedges he mentioned are all spectacular and their shape / feel / performance is second to none.  Not saying the Vegas are any good - but for the most bang for your $$$, go with his recommendations.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers Bro

The best bang for the buck is a product that fits.  The fact that Vega has so many models - hence the OP's question - is what virtually ensures getting one that suits.  And Vega can be had quite inexpensively - far more so than any of the brands listed above with the possible exception of A Grind.  In general, I find Vega perhaps the best band-for-the-buck brand out there...and I own a lot of gear. 

On 1/3/2017 at 2:10 PM, karansivi said:

Thanks, but I am able to get the Vega wedges for under $50 a piece which is why

At that price go for it.  use this tool to see which one - https://bigdecisionweb.typeform.com/to/VAdVju

You know what - You're right.

Whether you play Ping, Vega Miura, etc - it's whatever makes you play your best that counts.

Go with your feeling and enjoy.

TK

my first full JDM bag was all Vega except for my irons (although Kyoei forged, not Vega). i've had several different types of Vega wedges from the old V-Wedge to the newer models in different finishes and i liked them all. in my vega bag i wound up gaming the Raw VW-08 in 52* and 56* and Raw VW-06 in 60*. just so you know, I think it's possible the bounces could be listed incorrectly on their website. for instance, the 60* VW-06 is listed at 10* bounce but i don't think it's really that high or at least it doesn't play that high, and same with the 56*. i don't know if it's because there actually is less bounce than is listed or whether it just plays less than its spec because the soles are more narrow on the VW-08 and 06 models.

i also own several other types of JDM wedges like S-Yard Bold (Endo forged s20c), PRGR iD nabla Tour (Endo forged s20c), Fourteen RM-21 and LE-10, and now i have a pair of Crazy CRZ Tour (Kyoei forged s25c [i think]). i would say of all the ones i've listed i would agree w Chris that the CRZ Tour wedges are probably the best or highest quality, the feel is incredible it's soft yet firm and they're just all around top notch. i bought them based on Chris' recommendation and am very pleased. if you're getting vega's for $50 a piece though i wouldn't even think twice about buying a set as i believe they're also premium quality. the raw finish vega's spin is outrageous, just as i've heard of the Yururi Raw Gekku which is what i think the vega's were modeled after since Kyoei makes those also. 

so i can only give you my opinion based on how i play, but i do really like vega wedges i think they're a quality cost effective alternative to other high end brands. the raw finish wedge's spin is nuts and i think makes the feel a little softer than the other finishes, but downside to that finish is it tends to chew on balls and is non-conforming and it's raw so if you don't want it to turn into a weathered finish you'll have to take care of them. everything with golf equipment really depends on what works best for you though.  but for $50 who can argue 

Edited by gregoire56

I just assumed they were non conforming cuz the raw gekku's are, and they're basically the same wedge except for difference in grind from what I can tell. But I have no special knowledge other than what their website says either so I don't know for sure if they are or not, it was just a guess. For all I know they are conforming which would be awesome but I feel unlikely. I can spin the ball back a little w my other wedges but I can yank it back w those. 

On 1/12/2017 at 2:43 PM, gregoire56 said:

my first full JDM bag was all Vega except for my irons (although Kyoei forged, not Vega). i've had several different types of Vega wedges from the old V-Wedge to the newer models in different finishes and i liked them all. in my vega bag i wound up gaming the Raw VW-08 in 52* and 56* and Raw VW-06 in 60*. just so you know, I think it's possible the bounces could be listed incorrectly on their website. for instance, the 60* VW-06 is listed at 10* bounce but i don't think it's really that high or at least it doesn't play that high, and same with the 56*. i don't know if it's because there actually is less bounce than is listed or whether it just plays less than its spec because the soles are more narrow on the VW-08 and 06 models.

i also own several other types of JDM wedges like S-Yard Bold (Endo forged s20c), PRGR iD nabla Tour (Endo forged s20c), Fourteen RM-21 and LE-10, and now i have a pair of Crazy CRZ Tour (Kyoei forged s25c [i think]). i would say of all the ones i've listed i would agree w Chris that the CRZ Tour wedges are probably the best or highest quality, the feel is incredible it's soft yet firm and they're just all around top notch. i bought them based on Chris' recommendation and am very pleased. if you're getting vega's for $50 a piece though i wouldn't even think twice about buying a set as i believe they're also premium quality. the raw finish vega's spin is outrageous, just as i've heard of the Yururi Raw Gekku which is what i think the vega's were modeled after since Kyoei makes those also. 

so i can only give you my opinion based on how i play, but i do really like vega wedges i think they're a quality cost effective alternative to other high end brands. the raw finish wedge's spin is nuts and i think makes the feel a little softer than the other finishes, but downside to that finish is it tends to chew on balls and is non-conforming and it's raw so if you don't want it to turn into a weathered finish you'll have to take care of them. everything with golf equipment really depends on what works best for you though.  but for $50 who can argue 

Thanks!

I used the Vega Wedge selector tool, and basically was trying settings that seemed like they would be good for avoiding digging. The two that kept coming up were the 02 and 04. Sound about right?

On 1/17/2017 at 5:46 PM, karansivi said:

Thanks!

I used the Vega Wedge selector tool, and basically was trying settings that seemed like they would be good for avoiding digging. The two that kept coming up were the 02 and 04. Sound about right?

ya both of those sound about right if you want to avoid digging; i'd also consider the VW-10 grind for that purpose. of those three grinds the 04 is the most versatile, the 02 is the same as the grind on the VM-02 irons which is a shape that suits some players' eye but not others, and the 10 grind i think can help avoid digging cuz the bounce plays more than in the other models which can be used to your advantage.