Black Nickel TW-BM CAST Honma Blades!

TourSpecGolfer

Yes I'm touting the Cast!  Especially when it comes to Honma and I believe!

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan1.png

Honma already had the TW727M blade which was a small, narrow and workable choice so a blade that offered more forgiveness and larger dimensions was great next move.

The new TW-BM in comparison with the 727M has a taller and wider face.  Professional JPGA star Hideto Tanihara asked Honma to enlarge the head of the TW717M to try an MB that was forgiving. Instead of simply enlarging the size of the head they completely redesigned the blade from the ground up using CAD to optimize the CG.

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan4.png

While most of the male professional golfers use steel shaft for the irons, Hideto Tanihara uses “VIZARD IB” because of the “forgiveness of the carbon shaft”. The Vizard IB has amorphous metal fiber in it which is why it tends to play stiff to flex.  Tanihara plays the special order Vizard IB 105 which TourSpecGolf can get for you by request.  It's super accurate with better distance and feel than steel shafts.

Overall the head that is longer by 4.0 millimeters and taller by 3.5 millimeters than the TW727M.  It's softer yet it's Cast.  Honma has a strong history of producing golf specific castings that feel fantastic.  It's great to see them back to their roots and taking a different path in a sea of Forged MB's.  Son't get me wrong I'm a forged fiend myself but before I knew these were cast  I hit them and said they feel incredible.  It's hard to tell the difference,  it feels like a really good forged club.

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan3.png

The TW-BM can only be ordered with the Vizard IB series shafts because that is how they were able to optimize the size,  cg locations and performance of this model.  All other TW737 clubs we can custom order with most steels for you but the MB is supposed to be played with the IB which it was designed to.  That said,  I bet so many shafts would be great with these heads.

You may have noticed that these are not stock clubs.  TSG is passionate about our gear so how could I not opt for the black nickel finish.  TourSpecGolf can custom order you Satin, Mirror,  Half Mirror and Black Nickel also known as Black Mirror.

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan6.png

The sole on Honma's TW-BM is narrow and curved just right.  While the 737 series plays nice with each other as far as building a combo set the TW-BM is best served stand alone in a full set.

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan2.png

Part of making this club more forgiving is the face progression aka offset.  It has a decent amount to it.  This is something Japanese blades were always known for,  recently Epon's P2's was bold enough to bring back the offset to a classic blade.  The TW-BM doesn't have a lot but it's noticeably more than most straight necks and for good reason.  Offset in blades help make the club more forgiving and they also play a hand in feel some say along with loft.

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan11.png

Here's a shot of the special order IB105 shafts that Tanihara plays and TSG can special order for our customers.  This shaft isn't advertised as an option.

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan5.png

Everyone always wonders about the PW when it comes to blades,  the shape is so important,  no shovels please.  Honma nailed it on the shape as well.

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan12.png

This PW is one of my favorite clubs in the set,  It saved me many strokes during a round it feels so soft and it's so forgiving especially with a carbon shaft.

The lofts on these are fair with the PW coming at 46*.  They only sell these 4-10 ( Honma calls PW #10 )  The FP #'s are 3.75 in the long and 4.25 in the short.  To give you an idea straight neck is about 5 ish.  Standard length is 38.125" on the five.  Made in Japan :).

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan8.png

The feel is soft in the center and semi soft moving outward.  It's not harsh on mishits and remind me of Mizuno but a little firmer.  I prefer this feel over the MP-5's anyway.

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan9.jpg

Face shape is perfect,  Honma really knows how to curve edges and make soles.  The short irons are perfectly sized and shaped.  I think this irons only hang ups are that they don't match the rest of the 737 series for a combo set along with the requirement they come shafted with Vizard IB 95 or special order 105's.  I'm thankful for the finish options though.

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan10.png

If you made it this far in this post here's a cookie a sneak peak at the next Honma Club we will be covering the TW737P!  The P is the most forgiving of the Tour World Series and Sakata has made us one with the Black Badge and custom finish... Enjoy

Honma-Golf-TW-BM-Irons-Japan7.png

Fine looking design. Even finer looking finish.

Wasn't a Honma fan till this! Hope to see it in flesh someday...

Ho ho ho...

Seems like Santa was late this xmas :-)

Are loft an lie still adjustable with a cast iron head? They do look nice.

I wonder what drives them to cast this iron... economics or performance?  Not that I think cast is always inferior.  But it seems like a decision contrary to the image blades are supposed to create, so I wonder if it was the economics for a limited demand or if there was some performance goal behind this decision....

20 hours ago, chuck4golf said:

I wonder what drives them to cast this iron... economics or performance?  Not that I think cast is always inferior.  But it seems like a decision contrary to the image blades are supposed to create, so I wonder if it was the economics for a limited demand or if there was some performance goal behind this decision....

I'm the last person to ask about Honma but wasn't that their specialty back in their heyday...a cast club that felt better and outperformed forged?

Mikey, I think that is right. I had a few cast Honma blade sets in the early 1990's and they always felt great albeit not as soft as say Mizuno TP-9 and TP-18 that I also had. My favorite Honma blade was the PP-717 - fantastic but had a sweetspot the size of a dime. So rewarding when struck right.

Honma makes offset  in blades(  and these are definitely blades ) look more  right  than anyone. Smaller blades can do with some just like the pp737 those have a huge offsrt but it suits, i . Cant wait to give these.a looking over  im spring.