SEVEN 2017 VS-R Putter 1st Run

TourSpecGolfer

Expect a lot of new from SEVEN coming soon.

This is our new VS-R Putter.

SM490A but this time we  used process we call  Pure Tempered Heat Treatment where we heat the raw material  to 850* degrees for 3-4 hours then bring the heat down to 500* in a vacuum atmosphere. This putter is made 100% in Japan using only Japanese SM490A

It's got very subtly notch back bumpers and a shape somewhat newport 2'ish.

We did a lot of testing using high speed camera's and fitting software to analyze what face milling does to a putters roll.  

DSC00474-Edit-1.jpg

DSC00444-Edit.jpg

DSC00481-Edit.jpg

DSC00405-Edit.jpg

DSC00407-Edit.jpg

DSC00431-Edit.jpg

DSC00428-Edit.jpg

DSC00388-Edit-Edit.jpg

DSC00460-Edit.jpg

Very nice! Price and does it come in black finishes?

Sweet!  

Curious to know.  What is the purpose of the additional heat treatment in this case? 

Fabulous looking.  I am sure it feels and rolls beautifully, too.

1 hour ago, Mjr. D said:

Very nice! Price and does it come in black finishes?

Yes black is here!  550 is retail.

DSC00771-Edit.jpg

Ok , so now just explain us the goal and effect of this heating  treatment , just quick personnal point of view of the feel and roll and i will place my order , sure it will be great with my black dogatti :)

Chris, any chance you'll share with us some of the data collected with your fitting software and high speed cameras? I'd LOVE to see that kind of stuff!!!!!!!!

20 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Sweet!  

Curious to know.  What is the purpose of the additional heat treatment in this case? 

To be honest it's hard to differentiate any change.  It's  a slightly different sound/feel that is more dense with less click.  We did not like the heat treatment on the deep face milling design as it was too soft or almost carbon like.  With our new face milling which has more surface area the ball touches it naturally firms things us so combined with heat treatment it balanced out really well.  We felt it gave SM490A the feel we wanted.  It's something different that hopefully will evolve into us trying other things.  It costs me an extra 700 bucks and a couple of weeks to do this method of heat treatment on these heads.   On irons & wedges it was a more noticeable improvement and for sure we will be doing it on our next releases.  

15 hours ago, chiromikey said:

Chris, any chance you'll share with us some of the data collected with your fitting software and high speed cameras? I'd LOVE to see that kind of stuff!!!!!!!!

I'm very casual,  we had our club maker take these to various shops that had putting studio's to test them against popular brands.  Here's the thing we learned,  face milling matters more for feel.  In regards to roll just about all the different face designs we had tested had a similar result compared with our own.  So we used our new face milling to control the feel more than control the roll.  Another thing we noticed is that someone who doesn't putt as well may have more of a benefit with deeper mills vs the better player who can have the same result from using a flat face with no milling.  Face milling also reduces side spin but in putting I can't say this is a good thing or not.  Yes you want your putts to roll straighter but that's going to happen with a good stroke.  Like a blade you want an anser putter to be workable you want a reliable break pattern on the greens.  I can't back this up but it seemed to me that a deep and complex face mill had the possibility to create more variables between two identical rolls.  

My favorite in all areas was a Swedish stainless steel prototype with zero mill marks and no finish.  I call it the perfect click.  This bar none is the best stainless steel in the world.  DASS & GSS  are marketing.  When Sasaya sent GSS to the lab it was identical to JIS 303.  When he sent DASS the result was the same ( I assume DASS is heat treated or aged? )  SM490A is different.  I have always loved this material and wonder why other brands don't adopt it.

On 2017-02-01 at 4:49 PM, TourSpecGolfer said:

My favorite in all areas was a Swedish stainless steel prototype with zero mill marks and no finish.  I call it the perfect click.  This bar none is the best stainless steel in the world.  DASS & GSS  are marketing.  When Sasaya sent GSS to the lab it was identical to JIS 303.  When he sent DASS the result was the same ( I assume DASS is heat treated or aged? )  SM490A is different.  I have always loved this material and wonder why other brands don't adopt it.

Swedish stainless steel proto? Being Swedish, I know we are pretty good with stainless, but I did not know of a stainless Swedish putter proto. More info on it would be great! 

Will there be any lefty in black?

i was already curious about what SEVEN would be coming out with for 2017 but after seeing this now i'm very excited for the rest. i'll def be adding one of these 2017 putters with new steel and face mill to my bag, it just remains to be seen whether or not it'll be this one..

On 2/6/2017 at 2:27 PM, bngolfer said:

Swedish stainless steel proto? Being Swedish, I know we are pretty good with stainless, but I did not know of a stainless Swedish putter proto. More info on it would be great! 

It's called sandvik stainless steel and it's supposed to be the best.  RomaRo made a few expensive putters with it years ago but did a poor job educating people about the material itself.

i bought enough material to produce 10 putters.  shipping the metal was the expensive from Sweden to Japan.  I'm going with no face milling,  perfectly flat so the owners can get full metal vibration.  no finish as well.

23 minutes ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

It's called sandvik stainless steel and it's supposed to be the best.  RomaRo made a few expensive putters with it years ago but did a poor job educating people about the material itself.

i bought enough material to produce 10 putters.  shipping the metal was the expensive from Sweden to Japan.  I'm going with no face milling,  perfectly flat so the owners can get full metal vibration.  no finish as well.

So please hold one of them for me Chris! Sandviken, the town where Sandvik comes from, is 1.5h north of my town and Sandvik used to be the biggest employer in my small town. Would feel like a nice homage of having a unique JDM putter made from Sandvik stainless steel.

Edited by bngolfer

On 2/10/2017 at 1:13 AM, TourSpecGolfer said:

Here's a photo of the VS-R's face in black 

DSC00779-Edit.jpg

Lefty?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a top line view of this putter to see the offset.

I'm close to pulling trigger on ordering, but not sure on finish.  Any recommendations?

Edited by golftech

• 1 month later...

I bought a black version from a Chris (red details) and it's an amazing feeling putter.  Has a denser feel than previous carbon or stainless putters I've had and the face milling works with a pure roll.  Testing it on a golf trip currently and my second favorite putter ever (Gauge Design The One from 2005 is still favorite).  The feel is quite consistent, a muted denser feel and sound and easy to manage pace with.  

Great design Chris!

• 9 months later...
On 2017-02-09 at 6:12 PM, TourSpecGolfer said:

Chris, did you ever produce any Sandvik putters?