Want to avoid the left side? Honma 445cc Pro Driver!

TourSpecGolfer

There are 4 drivers in the new 737 driver line up the 445, 450 455 and 460 from smallest to largest.  The most obvious differences are that each head has different cg locations,  individual head designs and face structures.  Today we are talking about their low handicap pro level driver the 445.

The new TW737 445 is designed to for reduced spin,  workability and to avoid the left side allowing the hard hitter to go after it.  The cg is high and the face not as deep as most tour clubs which allowed them to add extra forgiveness but expanding it's outer diameter. 

DSC01391-Edit.jpg

The materials and technology Honma has utilized is important.  Starting with a cast 811-Ti body,  this in my opinion is one of the best materials to make a thin and durable light weight body.  The face is made of 6-4 Ti (forged).  The 737 445's cg suits the inside out swing often used by pro's,  the clubs entire design is to serve the tour pro with the optimum launch angle and spin rates.

DSC01406-Edit.jpg

Notice the weight is further toward the face in the 445 that's an 8 gram weight inserted that was redistributed from it's thin walled crown with a thickness of 0.6mm - 0.55mm,  the weight is removed from the heel side to further help the player who has a problem with the left side.

DSC01395-Edit.jpg

Honma created what they call a Grain-Glow Forged Cup Face,  yes Mizuno also uses this term.   Conventional grain flow forged manufacturing is horizontal,  by using a new shape original billet Honma has created a vertical + horizontal flow which improves fast ball release which they consider to be this drivers top feature it minimizes the golfers tendency to hook. By aligning the grain flow vertical it makes the face more dense and rigid so they can also make it hotter and thinner.

DSC01420-Edit.jpg

Honma makes great shafts,  they have had 6-Axis,  8-Axis before others and metal fibers in the tips of their carbon iron shafts,  they use both Torayca's T1100G and nanoalloy tech.  Do not consider these on the same level as most standard shafts.   There are 3 moels EX-A, EX-C, and EX-Z.  The Z is the tip stiff butt soft model,  the A is the softer tip stiffer butt model, and the C sits in the middle.

Thanks for reading oh and one more thing,  this head has the custom matte finish option added which looks a bit more stealth. 

DSC01396-Edit.jpg

DSC01409-Edit.jpg

this is a very interesting driver - but really confused by the numbers on the Honma website. Apparently, the sizes of the heads are:

445 = 457 cc

450 = 450 cc

455 = 456 cc

460 = 460 cc

Is it odd that the "smallest" model is actually the third largest in terms of head volume?

1 hour ago, bankbank said:

this is a very interesting driver - but really confused by the numbers on the Honma website. Apparently, the sizes of the heads are:

445 = 457 cc

450 = 450 cc

455 = 456 cc

460 = 460 cc

Is it odd that the "smallest" model is actually the third largest in terms of head volume?

Yes I noticed that but it's not that uncommon.

When you buy clubs that say 460,  they are usually never 460 but they are close.

In this case I have all the Honma drivers here in hand and can tell you the 445 is the most pear and smallest looking  which is due to it's shape.  Volume is one thing but your eyes will see the shape more and if the club's shape is larger it will look larger even if the volume is less than a head that doesn't look as big.

It also helps them make a series with names that help guide the consumer.    

have not bumped many weekend warriors who struggle keeping the ball out of the left - the day someone produces a true anti-slice driver is when sales will boom.

19 hours ago, d**kyfowler said:

have not bumped many weekend warriors who struggle keeping the ball out of the left - the day someone produces a true anti-slice driver is when sales will boom.

I think most drivers today are anti slice. But I'm definitely one of those guys that fights the left. Not that I'm a hard hitter anymore, but I'd bet most guys of that type struggle with the left more than the right. 

Same thing here. I no longer swing very hard but it is still the left side that I have to worry about.