3 wood

magpies

Hey guys any of you got the experience with the new ryoma fairway wood or the roddio spoon?

looking to add a 3 wood in my bag and would like to start with something extreme forgiveness for good off the tee and in perfect lie as a back up to the driver. 

Edited by magpies

I have the Ryoma Fwy on the way to me now. Will post something after I've played it. There's a Spoon available from a good guy in the BST. Hoping to see something on the new small-head Roddio drivers soon, too.

34 minutes ago, RLL33 said:

I have the Ryoma Fwy on the way to me now. Will post something after I've played it. There's a Spoon available from a good guy in the BST. Hoping to see something on the new small-head Roddio drivers soon, too.

Looking forward to your review of the new Ryoma fw!

Me, too. It's in Customs, so I hope to hit it next week.

I am also in the market for a good 3W.  

Been trying to find something that works better than my current Ping G20 ... just love this thing.    recent testing with Ping G did not kick it out.. I guess newer is not always better 

I have tried a few JDM Ti heads last year and in general they launch too high for me and the feel off the face were a bit too tingy. 

Steel heads generally tend to be more compact and players like shape and not forgiving enough.  Many of the USDM models are now adjustable which I do not like either.  

Bonded hosel,  165cc or so with a shallow profile that hugs the ground,  mid launch, solid feel would be my preference.

Oh and I almost never use my 3 wood off the tee .. 

You're selling your DST - how about the Kobe? I love mine.

I use the crazy fti in 5 wood and it's great. It works and goes as far as my cobra f6 baffler but with better feel. 

Currently leaning towards the ryoma fairway wood but will like to hear some opinions. 

Edited by magpies

26 minutes ago, bngolfer said:

You're selling your DST - how about the Kobe? I love mine.

Yeah,  If I had the skills to hit it more consistently, I'd keep it.  

I think the slightly deeper profile makes it a bit more demanding for me. 

Its a beautiful head.  

• 2 weeks later...

I found out recently that the Japan version JPX900 Fairway is actually a bonded hosel unlike the US version. 

Shallow profile and at 170cc it matches the profile I was looking for. 

I don't care too much about the adjustable weights and the crown but he shape at address looks really nice. 

Alright,   I am getting close to getting an M2 fairway...   not sure of 2016 or 2017 ... 

But those who have tried the new Ryoma F3   and M2..   how do they compare.

Are Ryoma FW as long as the M2 fairways? 

Edited by nobmontana

I was in Southern California couple weeks ago, and played with a rental set. It was my first time hitting M2 driver and M2 3 wood on course. ( I've demoed them in a in door trackman, nothing attractive at my demo.) Everything is TM stock stiff.

My driver went all over the place in the front nine, and I think I shot 6-7 over. I shot 1 under in my back 9, with 3 wood only. There are couple of short par 4, with very narrow fairway, and my M2 was very accurate. I did not miss any fairway, and hit every narrow line. Super impressive. 

I had Ryoma fairway wood in and out my bag over the years many times. I personally feel they are totally different club. M2 just so easy to hit and much easier to control ball flight. Ryoma for me request my A game to hit and control. 

Over all their sound, feeling, launch are all different. While my Ryoma shaft is heavier than M2 stock shaft, which is somewhere between 60-65 gram. I can't remember exactly. But the shafts are definitely can be a very important reason.

M2 driver might not be that bad, but that 10.5 is too high, and shaft is too light for me. So I'm definitely gonna buy several 2016 M2 to try in different shaft. And also to try their 17 model. 

Thanks for the quick feedback. 

I am thinking of getting the 2017 m2 3W ... not sure if I should get the 15 or 16.5

I finally got to play the new Ryoma Fwy a few times this week, and it ended up wowing me. I had tried Ryoma fwy's before and like some have mentioned over the years, I didn't quite care for them. The sound was too metallic or something and the club didn't deliver the soft thwack I prefer.

But this new model is, as Chris said, a whole new gamer.

I decided to try the F5 to see if it really would give me my 3-wd distance with a little higher ball flight. Check. Hit it 3-wd length off the tee and the deck. The difference is just what I wanted -- a higher ball flight, but still with no ballooning and plenty of roll out. The face feels unusual. It's soft and explosive. In fact, when I hit this thing on that round button on the face, all of us in my group agreed that the sound can honestly be compared to a gunshot. A very different kind of pop, even on off-center hits, than any fwy I've hit before.

I went with the Beyond Power shaft as I've been curious about it, and it did take some getting used to for me. I felt that it worked better with a nice smooth tempo than if I really went after a shot. Distance was actually longer with a slow wide arc swing than the kind I sometimes seem to make off the tee with a 3-wd. And whether it's the head or the head/shaft combo, literally everything I hit is a nice high draw, my preferred shot shape. 

In short, after yesterday's round, I decided to try something unusual. I'm going to get the 13-degree also and see if it can replace my driver at times when I want/need more of a fairway seeker. I tend to use higher lofted drivers anyway, and as the F5 easily goes as far as my XV and DST 3-wds, I'm anxious to see what I'll do with something of a 2-wood. 

Will post about that, too, when I get out with it.

Edited by RLL33

This is a very good review. R. That was a very unique pick on the beyond power shaft. I did not get along with that shaft in my driver, while I did not give it enough time either.

i like the idea of 2 wood. I played couple of round after back to FL. Same story. Driver kills my score, and fairway woods save my back nine. I am just shafting up an older Ryoma 2 wood head. Need find the fairway first. 

Thanks, Vic. And next time you head out west, let me know if you're in the LA area for a round on me. 

6 hours ago, RLL33 said:

I finally got to play the new Ryoma Fwy a few times this week, and it ended up wowing me. I had tried Ryoma fwy's before and like some have mentioned over the years, I didn't quite care for them. The sound was too metallic or something and the club didn't deliver the soft thwack I prefer.

I decided to try the F5 to see if it really would give me my 3-wd distance with a little higher ball flight. Check. Hit it 3-wd length off the tee and the deck. The difference is just what I wanted -- a higher ball flight, but still with no ballooning and plenty of roll out. The face feels unusual. It's soft and explosive. In fact, when I hit this thing on that round button on the face, all of us in my group agreed that the sound can honestly be compared to a gunshot. A very different kind of pop, even on off-center hits, than any fwy I've hit before.

I went with the Beyond Power shaft as I've been curious about it, and it did take some getting used to for me. I felt that it worked better with a nice smooth tempo than if I really went after a shot. Distance was actually longer with a slow wide arc swing than the kind I sometimes seem to make off the tee with a 3-wd. And whether it's the head or the head/shaft combo, literally everything I hit is a nice high draw, my preferred shot shape. 

In short, after yesterday's round, I decided to try something unusual. I'm going to get the 13-degree also and see if it can replace my driver at times when I want/need more of a fairway seeker. I tend to use higher lofted drivers anyway, and as the F5 easily goes as far as my XV and DST 3-wds, I'm anxious to see what I'll do with something of a 2-wood. 

Oooooh. 

I'm really looking forward to shafting these up and taking them out. I have the F3 and F5 on the way. Thanks for the review RLL33

21 hours ago, RLL33 said:

This sounds pretty good. I didn't like the old F2 for a lot of the reasons you mentioned so I'm anxiously awaiting your 3w review! Thanks!!