Are JDM Irons weaker on the loft?

Haovictor

Over the time, I found JDM brand such as Modart and Zodia have their irons in much weaker loft than US brand. 

I know you can always send in the custom order, but from their standard spec sheet, they are weaker. For example, some Zodia model has almost 2-3 degree weaker than PXG. 

I know couple members here always adjust the iron loft. I just want to get some idea on the reason behind this. Thanks.

Victor 

I think it's because the big companies have been in a marketing arms race over the last decade or so and distance seems to be the only thing that matters.  The best way to know some hack at golf galaxy will hit the new 7 iron farther is to change the loft.  I tend to bend mine a little weak or else instead of 4-pw I'd buy 5-P and add a 48*.  Can't do a 43* PW and the usual 52/56/60 wedge setup. 

There are just as many JDM irons with stronger lofts just like USDM clubs.

It's all about how you prefer to gap your clubs and their respective distances.

Many of the more popular player's forged iron sets tend to be closer to traditional lofts and I think it's because the target audience are more experienced players who have established wedge loft preference that  fit better with traditional lofts from a distance gap perspective.    

Try to convince a low handicapper player to switch to a different set of wedge lofts...  they won't.    well not without taking the risk of spending a season or longer to get used to the new wedge lofts from 100 yards and in. 

I do believe, however,  that even player's forged irons are slowly but gradually getting stronger lofted as well.   

If you look at the history of PW loft on Titleist Forged MB irons .. you can see that it only moved from 49* with their 681 forged in 2001 to 

47* with 716 MB in 2016.     Mizuno MP-33 from 2001  had a 48* PW and MP-4 from 2013 is 46* PW.     You get the picture. 

There is no such thing as standard. Specs vary brand to brand, model to model its different and the loft is a big consideration in the overall target market a product is gunning for.

I usually suggest only changing loft 1* and 2 tops only if there is a noticeable yardage gap and we don"t always have to change the entire set. The school of thought is a consistent gap between lofts t but what I find is people have yardage gaps for more reasons than just loft alone and often with a particular club.  So go ahead and change loft in just where you need it with gaps in your yardage.

If your figuring out if you like strong vs weaker lofts depends on how you play,  how many irons you want in the bag,  what you hit best irons, ut or woods.  Very personal this game and there is no right or wrong just what works.

My common yardage gap is between the PW and the 52*  If I go 50*  then it creates a gap or I need another wedge in the bag so my solution is to use an AW that has the same cavity design as the PW even if they have the same loft the CB design gives me a touch more distance and consistency.