Unbranded golf clubs

Staxxx

I recently received a set of OM-heads courtesy of the  generosity of Chris....and I LOVE them. They are just the profile and size and feel that I have been looking for. Topped with great forgiveness and distance too.

However, as they are blanks, they are not on the list of conforming clubs by R&A or USGA. Those are all listed by manufacturer/brand and model. I am not an elite golfer nor a professional but would like to play these in club tournaments. I will need to check the conditions of play for each tournament but regardless.....

Can someone help with understanding a few rules when it comes to this. When it comes to irons are the grooves the main area of contention? In which case, I  have been assured that these OM heads have conforming grooves and should be able to get some confirmation of this.

Does anyone know what brand / model uses this blank as that should also overcome this issue. I do know that Tiger played a match or two last year with unbranded equipment however, they were still un-stamped versions of approved models.

Any other ideas? I cannot send in a set of clubs for approval as the logistics of that is difficult.

I would like to reiterate that the clubs are fantastic1

post-18-0-09219100-1429494152.jpg

Edited by Staxxx

There is none thats why you saw it first on TSG as an OM series.

We will be using this design in the future with improvements for an OM brand.  

Your thinking about this the wrong way,  even if you find another company that uses this open head it will not put your clubs on that list.  The brand must register the make and model with R&A and or USGA to be officially included on that list.

These irons I paid to have made to the specs of my request as shape samples.  There is no brand designated.  Even with its conforming grooves it will never be on that list.

Thank you.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this design.  I really hope it comes into fruition as a legitimate brand/model soon.

• 2 weeks later...

To TSG Whiz ... you will have no problem playing those irons in any tournament. There is no mandate from the USGA that competitors can only play irons that are on a list of conforming models. The only requirement is that the irons comply with the applicable rules for design.

In terms of the groove rule there are two considerations. Since the irons were manufactured after 2010 then they must comply with the "groove rule" change instituted in 2010. As long as the blanks comply then they may be used in any tournament, even the US Open. FYI, irons manufactured prior to 2010 with non-complying grooves are grandfathered and may be used until 2024 in all tournaments except those meant for elite competition (US Open, PGA Tour, US Am, etc...).

As mentioned above, the USGA doesn't mandate that irons played in a tournament be on a list of conforming models. However, In terms of driver heads this can be different. In elite levels of competition (US Open, PGA Tour, etc...) a condition of competition can be instituted which requires that competitors use a driver that is on their list of conforming models. Without that special condition of competition, you can use any driver head (even a blank) as long as it conforms to the rules.

Hope that helps.

• 4 years later...

Those look awesome......remind me a lot of the Miura Tc-201

https://miuragolf.com/products/tc-201

That's the shape I'm looking for. Where you snatch those up?