Callaway Epic Star Japan Only Driver

Snapped some shots of the Japan only Callaway EPIC "Star" driver today and figured now would be a good time to go over the differences between the standard sub-zero model and the Epic star version found in Japan.  First thing to note is Japan offers both models but the Star has been met with explosive demand as of our orders placed near the end of Janurary are now shipping sometime in May and beyond. 

The Epic star is not an adjustable driver many players in Japan prefer traditional epoxied style hosels myself included.  Another big change is that there is no forward weight which means the star version likely has a higher MOI and creates straighter more stable yet less workable shots.  Finally there is the weight rail in the rear that the sub zero version does not have.  This is to position your weights to create a performance bias.

The specs are a little different as well.  The lie angle is more upright which favors the player who comes over the top to help fix a slice.  Another difference is in length as the sub zero model comes in at 45 inches standard while the star version is a bit longer at 45.75".   The face of the star  also appeared to be slightly closed although I cant verify this It was visually apparent.  My take is that this is the epic for the higher handicap when compared to the sub zero model.  In Japan the star is outselling the sub zero and has the longer back order list.   If this driver sounds like a good fit for your game you can order one here from the TSG Proshop 

DSC03875-Edit.png

DSC03881-Edit.png

DSC03887-Edit.png

DSC03879-Edit-Edit.png

Different for each player.  What people need to understand is golf is a very unique and individual sport.   What works for you may not work for me.

What I also want to educate people on is that every driver out now is within 5-10 yards of eachother.  There is no getting away from the rules and limitations put on equipment companies by the R&A/USGA.

Its all about finding the right driver/shaft/specs for you that has the proper characteristics for your swing.

What I can say is the STAR version seems like a higher MOI more weight backward design with a closed face and rounder shape.  This tells me its for the smoother or slower swinger or someone who battles the slice or needs a more rearward cg.

when you look at the shaft offerings as per the tutorial in the TSG shop menu, they talk about "shaft condition" and your options are MODERATE and MEDIUM.  They ain't much help!!

looks like low-mid kick point was translated as "moderate" and mid kick point was translated as "medium" 

hope that helps.    

• 2 months later...

Chris, is there a typical leave time for the Japan division to come out with their line after the launch of similar in the States and elsewhere? Meaning more specifically, when would you anticipate the Japanese Epic irons will be released ?

On 6/25/2017 at 3:19 PM, dickyfowler said:

Chris, is there a typical leave time for the Japan division to come out with their line after the launch of similar in the States and elsewhere? Meaning more specifically, when would you anticipate the Japanese Epic irons will be released ?

Nothing typical sir.  The Japanese Epic irons should be same as the U.S version with different shaft options.