The Epic Star looks so much better without the adjustable hosel

They are selling very well.  The Japan only Epic star driver and fairway orders in some lofts are backed up until mid may already while other lofts are shipping fast.   Many of our customers own the standard epic and just cant stand the look of an adjustable hosel so they end up with the star version and are very happy.

DSC03866-Edit.png

DSC03869-Edit.png

DSC03872-Edit.png

So question on why Japan Market versions of USDM clubs are often times non adjustable hosels. 

Aesthetically,  I definitely like the bonded hosel as it usually means thinner hosel diameter.  Looks cleaner. 

Japanese users want aesthetics over adjustability? 

I also think not having additional mass around the hosel area probably means lower overall CG?  

Perhaps the difference in CG is pretty minimal, but it would be interesting to see head to head comparison between Epic Star vs Epic with same loft, same shaft and same club length.  

I dont play them either and when I did in the past I would tinker with it a couple of times and never touch it after.  Besides looking ugly imo adjustable hosels also limit design because you have some extra added weight for the male and female parts all near the neck so to balance that out weight must be added somewhere else.   Same thing with all those cut away soles and cavities in the drivers,  this can all be done internally and is more for looks and marketing but also create new challenges for the designer to overcome.  The fact that you can change anything on a club is definitely a selling point.   In the domestic market brands stay away from material, manufacturing, cost, and quality conversations while in Japan they dive deep into it.   It takes a lot to move the CG by a mm but it can still create bias and for sure they will have to compensate or adjust in some way to make up for the extra added weight.

that, looks playable ,the  other thing looks like a  born again  adjustable same old same old . least this looks classy

This thing I like the original carbon top  wood they did, a ways back  the ERC fusion, that  is/ was sensational from the tee  . not great from the deck  bec it was too deep  but from a tee its a TOTAL hammer.

70842142_tp.jpg

• 1 month later...

Callaway has just released EPIC irons in the States - two models - wondering if the Japan division has these coming ? 

2 hours ago, dickyfowler said:

Callaway has just released EPIC irons in the States - two models - wondering if the Japan division has these coming ? 

Yes they will be available in Japan.

are there any other differences between the US Epic and the Epic Star besides the bonded hosel? 

the pricing and supposed "PXG-like" R&D of this new iron line suggests the Japan division of Callaway would not easily find many things to make them stand apart from the USA offering - so we wait in eager anticipation.