7 wood vs hybrid

magpies

Hey guys,

I was just wondering have any of you got any experience with 7 woods? I just had a lesson with my coach and it was determined (after trying to ignore it for a long time) that my wood game is better than my iron game. 

Am thinking of the gap between my 5 wood and 5 iron. I used to put a hybrid in between. Since my swing is more of a sweeping motion, am thinking of taking the hybrid out and putting in the 7 wood.

Any thoughts/feedbacks?

the 7W is probably the easiest FW to hit and it could be long or actually too long if you have the Ryoma 7w.  I would bag a 7w but keep a 25-27* UT to replace the 5i.  One should have a ut in the bag for rough play since FW would not do well if not on fairway.

1 minute ago, Duffer19 said:

the 7W is probably the easiest FW to hit and it could be long or actually too long if you have the Ryoma 7w.  I would bag a 7w but keep a 25-27* UT to replace the 5i.  One should have a ut in the bag for rough play since FW would not do well if not on fairway.

I see. Thanks a lot. 

Will a 7w carry distance be too close to a 5 wood?

5W sould likely be 17-18* and 7w typically at 21*.  I don't use FW much but I assume one might preclude the other if limited space in the bag. It is all about bag and game management on how you play your course.  

quite a bit higher and about the distance of a well stuck 4 iron .

7w  lands like a feather .

much easier to hit .  they are like a blend of a 5 wood an a ute.

it can easily be used for long par3s as well

I've always found that a 7w and 5w are too close in terms of distance. I was told by my fitter a few years ago that I should drop my Yamaha i.f.f 5w 17* in favour of the 7w 20* as I was slightly more consistent with it and not much distance lost. On one occasion my PRGR Egg 9w 22* was actually longer than my Kamui Works Ray 5w 18*. They had the same length shafts.

I would game a 3w/4w at 16* or 17* loft and then a 7w/9w at 20*, 21* or 22* depending on make/model, and as Duffer mentioned, replace a 5i with a high lofted hybrid.

Enjoy.

I used to bag a 7W right around the time Bubba carried one...  just wanted to test the differences.  

7W is definitely easier to launch ...  but my problem was that it went too high and I was less consistent compared to a 3UT. 

My current set up is 15* 3W ( 230 carry )   then 19* 3UT ( 210 carry )   then 4 iron ( 185 carry ) and so on...    gets the job done in most cases. 

I also have a lower launching shaft in my UT which helps avoid ballooning for shots into the wind. 

will shaft length matters? I plan to play my 5 wood ar 42.5" and 7 wood at 41.5" than i will go from 5 iron to PW.

Any of you guys feel that hybrid set up is confusing?  I can hit hybrid decent on the range. But when it comes to game time or when it matters, it just hooks left or i just top it. Really frustrating that I hit straight at the range and it never do well on the green. I only hit the green twice out of 10 times with my hybrids. 175-190 yards away kind of shot.

My 7 iron carries 145-150 yard, 6 iron goes 155-160 yard, 5 iron goes 165-170 yards and then my 5 wood at 42" carries 195-200 yard.  I have never take rolls as consideration. Driver carries 230-240 yards with a 95-98mph swing speed.

So there is a gap there. will be perfect if I can find a club that carries 180-190 yards.

Get the 1st generation PRGR Egg. Low priced for a used one on the auction sites. You'll thank me for it.........

4 minutes ago, Ian-500 said:

Get the 1st generation PRGR Egg. Low priced for a used one on the auction sites. You'll thank me for it.........

hehe ian, i already have a 7 wood in mind. I want to match my crazy full titan. I am just thinking should i get a 7 wood or try another new hybrid....

Dr Shanks and Suheric both used Egg Hybrids last week during our round.

They were hitting them very well!!  

Get a 7w

7 hours ago, Ian-500 said:

Get a 7w

Yes i will probably do so. I am thinking 42.5" on my 5 wood at 18.5 and 41.5" at 21.5 7 wood. Then it will go to my 5 iron. Some major shifting at the top of my bag before summer comes! Am getting my hands on a XR deep, a driver insurance!

i'm a bit biased in favor of the lower lofted hybrid/UT than the higher lofted wood, but that's because the increased loft in a wood shape just doesn't fit my eye and I tend to hit most hybrids very well. my current setup is 11* driver (carry 265-280), 15* wood (carry 250-260), 19* hybrid (carry 230-245), 3 iron 21* (carry 205-215), then 4 iron (24*) thru pw (48*) which is more traditional lofts but it gives me absolutely perfect loft and distance gapping. the only downside to that setup is with it I also carry 52* and 58* wedges, which means I sacrifice a little bit of versatility around the greens than if I were to carry a 52*, 56* and 60* setup like I prefer to. I also have a 52/56/60 set of wedges that I use sometimes, in which case I remove my 3 iron, so I then lose  a little bit of versatility around 210-225.

however, it sounds like you have pretty different preferences than mine. I prefer a smaller wood and hybrid/utility head and lower ball flight, but for a nice high trajectory and easy launch a fw would be the way to go for those who're comfortable with it. for the most part I prefer the types of clubs I do because I have the most confidence with them. so if you have more confidence with swinging  a wood and you like the higher launch then in my opinion that'd be the way to go, to refer back to what supo said "7w  lands like a feather. much easier to hit. also work great for long par 3's." he was spot on with all that. only downside, like another commenter mentioned, is hitting the woods out of the rough.. if you consistently hit a lot of fairways then i'd definitely say 5w/7w would be the way to go, in my opinion. if you tend to miss the fairway a decent percent of the time and sometimes have to hit that second shot out of high rough, then i'd maybe recommend a reasonably sized hybrid with a shape that you fits your preference. for instance, the hybrids I hit well I typically hit very well, but the hybrids I don't hit well I really struggle with. so depending on your accuracy off the tee, either go with the higher lofted wood or a nice big hybrid that fits your eye/swing.

**also should take into consideration the length you like to play the club at, a wood head will most likely be significantly lighter than a hybrid head so one may make for better swing weight for your preferred length than the other. proper swing weight helps a great deal with club effectiveness