The New SEVEN MCB

They were supposed to arrive late March.   We just got them this weekend.  Back orders filled,  a few sets left in full body milled or hand polished body.

DSC01674-Edit.jpg

It is a beautiful thing this iron; one piece milled entirely from a block of Japanese steel.  It's every angle is perfectly shaped by computer controlled milling.  Our CG locations and CAD produced using an HD-3D NX7 software.  The resin prototypes shaved by hand to determine its final form.  Getting excited?  The new MCB Mid-sized players cavity back by SEVEN Golf. 

DSC06096.png

Once you hold one of the new generation SEVEN Irons CB or MCB in hand, you will see the difference in quality, shape, and detail. These are on a different level when compared to SEVENs previous products, and the brand is committed to reproducing the entire line up so the performance, feel, and design is consistent with these new irons.

The face shape plays a significant role in how well these perform. It's not chunky in any one area and balanced well throughout. We selected particular irons from other makers to compete with and uncover what attributes allow smaller sized heads pack ample forgiveness. The concept I came up with is I call stacked metal, and it means no portion of the head should be too thin or thick, all dimensions must be flowing with consistent thickness throughout. This allows it to be thick and dense yet still compact.

DSC06108-Edit.png

The clubs in these photos are prototypes let me explain;  The new SEVEN CB and MCB come in full milled body or hand polished body options.  Both are made the same way its just an extra step is taken in the hand polished version to remove the intricate milling found over the club heads entire surface.  It's personal preference, and we do not charge any more for the polished version.  We sell more full body milled than polished,  yet I play polished.  What else is different is there no bead blast within the cavity we selected a beautiful and quality bead blast to go inside the cavity to give it a more refined look.  I will post pics later,  the new heads have just arrived at TSG, and we are shipping all back orders of the MCB immediately.

DSC03494-Edit.jpg

Several other prototypes were made to test different shapes even an undercut cavity.  We found no improvement in forgiveness with an undercut versus without.   It features a very thick cavity yet on the sole does not look wide.

DSC03316-Edit.jpg

No other mid-sized players CB has this little offset.  This is the same face progression you would find in a compact players blade and while yes offset is our friend one of the most overwhelming requests in a mid-sized CB is the absolute the least amount of offset possible for good performance.  FP 4.5-5.5 through the set!

DSC06185.png

We set out to make a shape, feel, and forgiveness that would rival or better irons like the previous ONOFF KURO, Titleist VG3 Forged, Callaway Stenson's, and an elite group of others which we defined as the benchmark.  We have surpassed our expectations in not only each of the categories we initially set out to conquer but one area especially surprised and it was a noticeable quality difference.

DSC02315-Edit.jpg

Above the full body milled version shows off whats truly unique about the new SEVEN CB and MCB irons Full CNC, and this is not just an effect or milling over a shaped head this is the entire hosel, neck, and all transitions transformed into the AutoCAD design. Precision done in Japan.

A deep cavity is hidden beneath a mid-size sole. The MCB's sole design is flatter and wider with a killed leading edge it can support the better player who wants forgiveness or, the more casual golfer who still appreciates a nice looking club at address.

DSC06138-Edit.png

The leading edge is pronounced it supports players with a slightly steeper attack angle yet will please semi shallow sweepers with ease.

DSC06180-Edit.png

How do these feel?  Soft for sure,  some of our advanced testers use the word addictive.  The entire face has CNC milling on milled grooves which change the relationship with vibration time and feel much like a putter with deeper milling feels softer at impact.  But that is not the only way these feel different because these are not pressed or forged to shape the entire face feels like butter at impact.  Not gushy soft but a cold firm dense stick of butter.

DSC06084-Edit.png

In the chart below you can see the MCB has the least amount of offset in its segment. The Lofts are traditional by today's standards with a 47* PW.  You may also notice that we have a set dedicated AW, We see most players have distances gap issues between their PW and first blade wedge, so we created a 50* to supplement and highly recommend this as it will save you some strokes.

Screen-Shot-2017-05-01-at-7.23.29-AM.png

The AW has a more narrow sole which allows the player to open it up the same way consistently.  This is another area where the CB and MCB are different.   The CB as it moves into the wedges gets a thicker sole while the MCB gets more narrow we found this a unique way to give the MCB some extra points with the better player.

DSC06263.png

I play the MCB, and my favorite club is the AW.  I used to hit my PW about 125 yds yet my AW only 110 yards,  muscling up or de-lofting was rarely a smart decision. The 15-yard gap of missing distance seemed to be a popular one for me on course. I had this issue, and so did many of our customers.

DSC02309-Edit.jpg

We avoided creating short irons that were shovels at all costs.  Even our cavity design 50* wedge looks like a blade wedge and matches the feel,  performance, and distances of the full iron set.  By using CNC to produce the shape, the neck transitions are perfect the top line thickness is consistent from heel to toe, and with a CNC milled face, you can be sure it is totally flat.

DSC06281-Edit.png

Even our finish is better,  we took many leading brands even Japanese irons and tested our finish against their using nails,  razor blades,  hammers, and hitting sand balls the durability is the best of any plating we have seen.  If you're feeling sadistic please, by all means, put it to the test.

DSC06277-Edit.png

The Japan and Korean markets will be receiving limited edition double gold IP heads with mist bead blast, and black paint fill so stay tuned for those!

The New SEVEN MCB is now shipping and ( available here ) - Remember that the final version has subtle improvements over the prototypes ones used in these photos. The inner area of the cavity has a beautiful bead blast which makes them look more expensive.

DSC06261.png

The progressively thinner sole widths and available GW make this so appealing! Not to mention how you packed more forgiveness into a compact CB. The decreased offset and forgiveness make it too easy to hit these straight. Better players could game these and it would be like cheating within the rules...and without those random fliers that go 15yds long for no reason like most GI clubs can do.

Gotta say, these sound and look VERY attractive. So you've hit them, too, Mikey?

Man that AW looks sweet.   Never seen an AW that matches the set this well.. looks so sleek and not those shovel AW that usually come with the sets.      How about a matching SW (56) to go with it?  :)    

30 minutes ago, RLL33 said:

Gotta say, these sound and look VERY attractive. So you've hit them, too, Mikey?

I hit the 6iron and was pretty impressed...and it's few and far between that a CB impresses me. I'm kinda glad I didn't see the wedges...I'd likely have bought these on the spot!

These look stunning. Great job Chris.

I had the chance to hit these head to head with the Seven CBs as well..  MCBs are definitely a touch more forgiving.  

Seven CBs are true players CB and these MCBs are your "forgiving" players CBs..  

I can see these heads being combo'd with high end graphite shafts though I am sure steel shafts would work just as well. 

To continue with my exotic car analogy ... if Seven CBs are Koenigseggs, I'd say these MCBs are Bugattis.   A bit easier to drive straight but still highly exotic and precise. 

Definitely my favorite looking iron heads for the season !!

We are sending the CB and MCB around for people to experience.   We want members to compare them to the best the market has to offer.

DSC06138-Edit.png

The face shape is totally different from the CB.  The MCB looks noticeably easier to hit while still compact.

DSC06171-Edit.png

I was one of the lucky ones that got to test these and here were my initial thoughts.

On looks alone the new Seven CBs are amazing. The precise machining is apparent and unlike almost anything in the golf world.  This automatically puts them in elite company so comparing them to my copper Epon 302s seems only natural. My 302s have graphite shafts so they're pretty hot and both of these Seven models didn't give up any distance with steel shafts mounted. The Sevens are definitely more forgiving and some how do so without giving up the compact players profile. The only hint that these would be this forgiving when at address is that top line is just slightly thicker. Not enough to take away the appeal for the lower handicappers but thick enough to give a little more confidence to those that might be moving away from something more GI. They definitely invoke the feeling of players CBs and I like the trend of lower offsets that I'm seeing in players clubs. These still have offset but it's not enough to become a distraction like it has for Epon. The neck, toe, and overall shape are very pleasing and actually made my 302s look a bit dated. Of course feel is there and I believe it will be there no matter what the shaft preference is. Every bit as good as Epon if that's our current pinnacle of measurement. The only thing I didn't like, or more accurately, that I'm just not used to, were the width of the soles. They work too well for their intended purpose, and keep the club from getting too deep into the turf. For a players CB I'd personally prefer just a tiny bit thinner sole but the club hides it well and you don't even notice it at address. These would be fantastic on slightly softer turf, which we just don't have in AZ. When you look at these as a whole package, it all works perfectly together and the quality is second to none. The combination of forgiveness, top line, and wider sole should help bring people looking to transition from GI clubs. The size, feel, and less offset make this a great players iron. And the quality should attract anyone that simply want the best of the best!

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

These are beautiful looking creations.  I don't know where to apply to get a chance to hit these, but I'd really appreciate a chance to put these head to head with the Kuros.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 5:10 PM, 1putt1 said:

How does the blade length of the MCB compare to that of the CB? Are the blade lengths consistent throughout the set or do they get shorter with the short irons?

DSC05283-Edit.jpg

Just thought I would share some of the final steps which the factory allowed me to take photos of.  In this small but difficult step they are taping up the heads to bead finish inside of the cavity for an added effect. 

DSC05298-Edit.jpg

As you can see cavity is the unpolished finish of the body.

DSC05267-Edit.jpg

Its ready for bead blasting.

DSC05277-Edit.jpg

Bead blast completed time to clean them.

On 6/7/2017 at 10:18 AM, vanla01 said:

Would love to try the Seven Cb's against my Epon Tour Cb's!!

Email me and I will put you on the list.   I would love to hear what your comparison is. 

On 6/8/2017 at 2:07 PM, vanla01 said:

Email sent :)

Thanks Brad,  You are in line sir!  You will recieve both the CB and MCB.  Feel free to reshaft,  all we ask is you clean them up nice before you ship them to the next TSGer.

DSC06194-Edit.png

I have the 302s, the P2s, the Onoff Kuros and MB-5003s and would love to compare these to them. Can I have a spot on that list as well?

You guys are in for a treat. I got my turn and I've never felt anything better than the MCB. Will write more about it when I get my full set, which I've just ordered.

I've received a few PM's asking for more info...  For now, suffice it to say both the CB and the MCB have exquisite feel, but for me, the MCB just jumped up and grabbed my attention from the first hit. If this is a mid-sized CB, then give me mid-size! At address, it appears more precise than a lot of MB's I've played, and I love the overall look of the design of the club. Performance wise, I've hit most of the irons mentioned in this thread, and I can honestly say the MCB is longer, easier to hit consistently well, has better feel and sound. And yes, that includes the Epon's. When you hit this thing on the dime, the reaction is basically, Bingo!, and you just watch with a smile on your face. Miss a little, and it's easily the most forgiving iron I've hit. 

Anyway, I'm loving it, and I will write more when I receive my full set.

Demos go from me to you, Brad, this weekend. (I've got one more round with 'em this afternoon...!  <g> )

4 hours ago, RLL33 said:

I've received a few PM's asking for more info...  For now, suffice it to say both the CB and the MCB have exquisite feel, but for me, the MCB just jumped up and grabbed my attention from the first hit. If this is a mid-sized CB, then give me mid-size! At address, it appears more precise than a lot of MB's I've played, and I love the overall look of the design of the club. Performance wise, I've hit most of the irons mentioned in this thread, and I can honestly say the MCB is longer, easier to hit consistently well, has better feel and sound. And yes, that includes the Epon's. When you hit this thing on the dime, the reaction is basically, Bingo!, and you just watch with a smile on your face. Miss a little, and it's easily the most forgiving iron I've hit. 

Anyway, I'm loving it, and I will write more when I receive my full set.

Demos go from me to you, Brad, this weekend. (I've got one more round with 'em this afternoon...!  <g> )

Richard,

Hope all is well :)    The new Seven Mcb must be good if you ordered a set. Looking forward to testing these puppies out.  :)

Chris,    What is the height of the sweet spot for MCB , CB and Shinagawas?  

I also noticed that the MCBs were softer feeling at impact compared to the CBs...  after some research,  I learned that  MBs tend to have a higher sweetspots compared to CBs.   For ideal impact with MBs,  you do need a descending blow to the ball whereas some of the more forgiving irons have lower sweetspot which allows a more of a shallow angle of attack  ( = my swing  )  to hit the sweetspot .  

The other day at the range,  I was hitting my Shinagawas and took deliberate down blows and I was getting a much softer sensation off the face. 

Starting to think I should be playing these MCBs because of my angle of attack and swing type. 

Thoughts? 

19 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Chris,    What is the height of the sweet spot for MCB , CB and Shinagawas?  

I also noticed that the MCBs were softer feeling at impact compared to the CBs...  after some research,  I learned that  MBs tend to have a higher sweetspots compared to CBs.   For ideal impact with MBs,  you do need a descending blow to the ball whereas some of the more forgiving irons have lower sweetspot which allows a more of a shallow angle of attack  ( = my swing  )  to hit the sweetspot .  

The other day at the range,  I was hitting my Shinagawas and took deliberate down blows and I was getting a much softer sensation off the face. 

Starting to think I should be playing these MCBs because of my angle of attack and swing type. 

Thoughts? 

We do not have mapped CGs on the MB.  I do have on CB and MCB.  

Does this help = 33886.2095 mm.3  ....lol  I can post screen captures that show locations but not actual height #s as the company we have map our stuff does it differently.

I know what your saying and it makes perfect sense to me.  Im just not sure how much of a difference 0.5mm - 1mm would make in the real world.  Maybe its a big effect or maybe not.  Everything in golf is so subjective that all we can do is our best to figure things out.  

So you are thinking a higher CG helps with descending blows?  That could be.