Itobori yes or no

Vegaman

Some controversial info floating around, including a "warning" on the itobori website to avoid TSG, first thing you see at itobori.com. What's going on? TSG and MTG had a falling out of some sort?

Edit: I'm not here to gloat or anything remotely like that, just curious. 

Edited by Vegaman

So lets first address what they claim:  that TSG may be selling fake itobori products...   Who here really thinks TSG has sold anything fake ever?   Their only claim is false.   

TSG was in agreement to deliver on:

1.  supply photos and build website www.itorborigolfclubs.com .   ( visit website for proof )

2. teach his team of dealers about photography,  equipment,  technique .  ( look at his dealers photos and see similarities )

3. create price sheets,  order forms and file sharing network for his dealers .  ( I can post all of these up! )

4. design aesthetics and ideas for future products . ( genrei stamping,  smooth sole option,  genrei blade,  itobori stamp )

We delivered 100%  He then very cowardly disappeared and caved to his dealers request to get rid of TSG.   We gave him every chance to mediate the situation but he was silent.   He then saw marked down prices on TSG and put that garbage up on his website. 

So lets take a look at what Itobori is:

- open model head cost 2000 yen,  finish cost 1500 yen,  his grinding as seen on youtube he touts takes 20min..  Thats $40 + labor to create a wedge that retails for $350.    850% mark up ok with you guys?  

- They stamped Made in Japan on a driving iron made in China.  First excuse was because import department required it,  second excuse was it was finished and paint filled in Japan...  truth is they were trying to mislead the consumer.  below more examples of this:

- Hammer Forged - They market the genrei is hammer forged,  implying its forged by hammer.  load of bull!

- They claim the grind on the back of the driver is made to control ball flight - anyone believe this?

- That Mayuki Takai makes all the wedges by his own hand.  Ive seen first hand this is not true.

- Saying their shaft ( actually a sanki ) is made of 110T,  its made of 90T

- They have argued they tell their customers the woods, putter, and driving iron are made in China.  

There is just a steady flow of bull shit from these guys.  But on the positive side he is a skilled grinder and I do acknowledge his style.

What you will see is his distributors supporting him strong because no other brand is offering them $250 bucks profit on a single wedge.  Guys the bottom line is if your going to spend $350 a head at least get something original design or demand the dealer give you 50% off.  Never buy an Itobori at full price as for what it is $175 per head would be about right.

I do have some Itobori stock I can clear out if anyone is interested at 50% off.

56 minutes ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

So lets first address what they claim:  that TSG may be selling fake itobori products...   Who here really thinks TSG has sold anything fake ever?   Their only claim is false.   

TSG was in agreement to deliver on:

1.  supply photos and build website www.itorborigolfclubs.com .   ( visit website for proof )

2. teach his team of dealers about photography,  equipment,  technique .  ( look at his dealers photos and see similarities )

3. create price sheets,  order forms and file sharing network for his dealers .  ( I can post all of these up! )

4. design aesthetics and ideas for future products . ( genrei stamping,  smooth sole option,  genrei blade,  itobori stamp )

We delivered 100%  He then very cowardly disappeared and caved to his dealers request to get rid of TSG.   We gave him every chance to mediate the situation but he was silent.   He then saw marked down prices on TSG and put that garbage up on his website. 

So lets take a look at what Itobori is:

- open model head cost 2000 yen,  finish cost 1500 yen,  his grinding as seen on youtube he touts takes 20min..  Thats $40 + labor to create a wedge that retails for $350.    850% mark up ok with you guys?  

- They stamped Made in Japan on a driving iron made in China.  First excuse was because import department required it,  second excuse was it was finished and paint filled in Japan...  truth is they were trying to mislead the consumer.  below more examples of this:

- Hammer Forged - They market the genrei is hammer forged,  implying its forged by hammer.  load of bull!

- They claim the grind on the back of the driver is made to control ball flight - anyone believe this?

- That Mayuki Takai makes all the wedges by his own hand.  Ive seen first hand this is not true.

- Saying their shaft ( actually a sanki ) is made of 110T,  its made of 90T

- They have argued they tell their customers the woods, putter, and driving iron are made in China.  

There is just a steady flow of bull s**t from these guys.  But on the positive side he is a skilled grinder and I do acknowledge his style.

What you will see is his distributors supporting him strong because no other brand is offering them $250 bucks profit on a single wedge.  Guys the bottom line is if your going to spend $350 a head at least get something original design or demand the dealer give you 50% off.  Never buy an Itobori at full price as for what it is $175 per head would be about right.

I do have some Itobori stock I can clear out if anyone is interested at 50% off.

I kinda was thinking something like that was the case, that MTG didn't like the discounts offered here on TSG..Because the prices I've seen at retailers are very high, hell even over on Rak itobori is silly expensive. I of course never believed for a minute that TSG was selling fakes. 

Edited by Vegaman
Autospell mistake

We were actually at full price for a long time.  100% retail following his rules.

There was always a lot of indecisiveness and stupidity coming from Mayuki Takai.   All his dealers push him around and he constantly bends to their will.   One way he thought he could appease them is trying to implement the dumbest rule I have ever heard of restricting TSG from selling new products for 1 full year.   Then 1 year later we can sell the item to our customers.  You cant make this stuff up.   

He agreed with our advice to lower the retail but then his accounts said no...  he is not in charge.

He could have avoided this mess with simple communication and negotiation but nope, instead he vanished and did not fulfill his end of the deal. Then we mark down,  he puts that text up on his website and things are bad.

thanks very much for posting this question on here Vegaman. I had some interest in itobori stuff but was hesitant to pull any triggers because of the prices and some of the info that's floating around, now that I know all this everything makes sense.

Chris, I also want to thank you for being so forthcoming about the situation. I'm sure I speak for most TSG'ers when I say that we greatly appreciate the fact that you've stayed so true to your fanbase, and use your platform and influence to promote honest marketing and fair dealer practices for the consumers. Cheers to you mate

Thanks for the answer Chris. Informative for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

【Wan Studio】玩工坊 MTG itobori 一刀雕 全刀背 蓝字 铁杆组

举报

配送
广东深圳  广东广州 
快递 免运费 

5天内发货

数量
ƛƚ(库存99999件)
承诺
T1EQA5FpVgXXceOP_X-16-16.jpg7天无理由
支付
TB1dvGWQFXXXXcFaXXXXXXXXXXX-16-16.png集分宝

lucky we have Founder & Owner of TourSpecGolf / GolfToImpress. 

Thank Chirs and everyone at GOLF TO IMPRESS

Edited by Grumpy

Chris, Do you have any of their iron head covers at a discount? If not, find out the manufacturer and sell some.  High-end iron head covers is a missing market. 

Edited by Forecaddie

3 hours ago, Forecaddie said:

Chris, Do you have any of their iron head covers at a discount? If not, find out the manufacturer and sell some.  High-end iron head covers is a missing market. 

No i have nothing now I think.

On 2017-05-07 at 5:41 AM, bogeylondon said:

Sounds pretty nasty! Beside all those mumbo jumbo, do you think there's anything good for the driver?

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

Sounds pretty nasty! Beside all those mumbo jumbo, do you think there's anything good for the driver?

Not for the money.  They want 900 on the head.  Its made in China.  Its an open model driver head that they purchased a new sole mold for.  Its Chinese DAT55 not Japanese DAT55G.  For 900 bucks a head you deserve original design.    Itobori is not interested in investing their own money to produce new and original golf clubs.  They are interested in taking the cheapest shit and prettying it up to sell for expensive to Korean and S.E Asian customers.

Nothing‘s wrong of being artistic but not in this way, especially, in clubs making. What a pity for that great look!

• 5 months later...

Well, I ended up buying Cavity Back, 6 - pw,  then 51,  55,  59 for the wedges.  Paired them with KB steel light shafts,  and i like the penetrating ball flight.  Worked well this spring/summer.  Took a break now starting to play again.

• 6 months later...

i got a pre-loved cavity set at a steal.. hehe

thinking of getting a wedge as well to wrap up the set.

dropped the idea of getting the driver