Shimada K's 8001 - first impression

nobmontana

I'm in the process of reshafting my Shinagawa MB irons using the new Shimada K's 8001 shaft. 

I first had Monaco Stiff shafts in these heads but even at soft step x 1 ,  still felt like a workout when playing these irons.

I had to switch to something lighter to make it easier to swing.   Was thinking about getting Modus 105 but based on my last experience with them , 

I was not a big fan of the feel...  felt a bit harsh compared to Modus 120 S or Dynamic Gold  S200 ...  

My preference is a feel like the Modus 120 Stiff or DG S200 but lighter.   

As I was reading thru reviews of K's 8001 I learned that they are single flex and softer CPM compared to Modus 105 stiffs. 

What also interested me is the taper construction from the tip to the grip area... then it has some steps on the butt end. 

This construction is similar to their Tour Wedge shaft. 

Today, I had the chance to try the 6 iron with this new shaft and here is my first impression.  

- Feel:   Definitely better/softer feel than what I remember of Modus 105 stiff.  but perhaps not quite as mild feeling as  Modus 120 but I think it comes close.

- Consistency:  These shafts have very tight dispersion.  These shafts do not produce too much side spin either.   Easy to hit straight. 

- Trajectory: I would say these are mid to mid-high trajectory.      

- Distance:   I was getting 5 to 8 yards or so more based on my Yupitel compared to the Monaco shafts.   Amazing what a 10g reduction does to.   your shots 

I am really glad I got these shafts.   They feel good and they are easier to swing due to the lighter weight. 

My personal opinion is that softer steel shafts combined with forged heads produce the best feel at impact. 

This shaft is a good alternative those looking for lighter weight shaft but do not want to compromise feel. 

Thanks nob. Been toying with the idea of lighter shafts but I'm afraid to give up the stability and feel of slightly heavier shafts. I'm afraid even slight mis-hits will get harsh and send those unwanted vibrations into my hands. How do these feel on off centered shots?

thanks for bringing up this topic... I'm currently using KBS Tour 120g shafts in my irons, the 120g's are typically built out to stiff flex frequency but mine are built to 6.5 which is x-stiff for the 120g's. I really like the feel and performance of this build with my forged heads even though the shafts are a little light for their flex, but I have another set of the same iron heads that I've been thinking about shafting with either Modus3 120 X's or Shimada Tour's in X flex and I haven't been able to decide between the two. I prefer a heavier mid-low/mid launching iron shaft, so I guess my questions are: 1. do you have any experience with the Shimada Tour iron shaft?  2. if so, are you able to compare it to the Modus3 120 and/or KBS Tour?  3. do you know which Shimada K's model is comparable to the green label Tour iron shaft?  4. based on my iron shaft preference that I mentioned, would you have a recommendation for either the Modus3 120 or Shimada Tour?

I currently use Shimada shafts in my wedges and I love them, I have the green label Tour Wedge's in one set and the K's HW120's in another, so I know I like Shimada but I've never tried the green label Tour iron shafts or the Modus3 120's so I have no basis for comparison between them and my current KBS Tour's.

36 minutes ago, chiromikey said:

Thanks nob. Been toying with the idea of lighter shafts but I'm afraid to give up the stability and feel of slightly heavier shafts. I'm afraid even slight mis-hits will get harsh and send those unwanted vibrations into my hands. How do these feel on off centered shots?

Try the amt x100s great shaft imo tight enough but not too heavy.

shimadas are great but play very high on the cpms smoothness hides how tight they are.

modus 120s very loose if your coming from shimada tours.

modus 120x or Tx better shaft

I'm playing the Modus3 120x and it's the best combination of feel and lower trajectory for me so far. Love C-Tapers but the feel Kills me on anything but absolutely perfect shots. I'll grab a test iron with an amt x100 and see what happens. 

You guys are in a different boat than I am!! ..  these 8001 Shimadas are single flex designed for a stiff or less player.   

I think these are even a tad softer ( lower CPM )  than 105 Stiffs.   

WelI, I gripped the rest of the iron set today and went to the range.  

Trajectory wise, I think these are looking higher than I originally thought but not baloon high.      

Will need some time to get used to  ... but I am feeling great about these shafts so far.   

6 hours ago, chiromikey said:

I'm playing the Modus3 120x and it's the best combination of feel and lower trajectory for me so far. Love C-Tapers but the feel Kills me on anything but absolutely perfect shots. I'll grab a test iron with an amt x100 and see what happens. 

I soft stepped mine once, also got the tour issues.

5 hours ago, nobmontana said:

You guys are in a different boat than I am!! ..  these 8001 Shimadas are single flex designed for a stiff or less player.   

I think these are even a tad softer ( lower CPM )  than 105 Stiffs.   

WelI, I gripped the rest of the iron set today and went to the range.  

Trajectory wise, I think these are looking higher than I originally thought but not baloon high.      

Will need some time to get used to  ... but I am feeling great about these shafts so far.   

Great news no wonder the Monaco's were a bit much for ya they need to be hit hard.

I am at a point where swinging harder with heavy and stiffer shafts really don't make sense.   

I am not sure how other people think of it... but I'd rather get similar distances as effortlessly and efficiently as possible. 

I feel that is the way to go for lowering my score further.    

39 minutes ago, nobmontana said:

I am at a point where swinging harder with heavy and stiffer shafts really don't make sense.   

I am not sure how other people think of it... but I'd rather get similar distances as effortlessly and efficiently as possible. 

I feel that is the way to go for lowering my score further.    

Are you going that way with your woods too nob? I hear ya RE iron shafts as I only play light stiff graphites , but I need stiffer the better in driver and fw.

Yup going down to 60g shaft on driver and 3W.  ( both Kurokage Proto '13 )    

UT is now 65g  ( KBS Graphite Hybrid)     This shaft is pretty amazing.  Probably not the best feeling of shafts ... but boy do they go straight!!!  

I have not hit a single hook yet with these shafts.  I feel like I can even go down to a Regular flex for better feel.  

Had a round at The Home Course in Dupont WA with Cuistot and Dr Shankenstein.  

These Shimada shafts performed very well in the Shinagawa MBs. 

Though these are lighter than the previous TT Monaco by 10g or so,   I have not gained any distance.   

These don't feel like distance shafts ..  "NS 1050GH with tighter dispersion"  is how I would best describe them. 

I think these are good alternative to Modus 105.      The single flex "Stiff"  flex feels  right in between a Modus 105 R and S . 

Highly recommended!

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, D22marshall said:

Try the amt x100s great shaft imo tight enough but not too heavy.

shimadas are great but play very high on the cpms smoothness hides how tight they are.

modus 120s very loose if your coming from shimada tours.

modus 120x or Tx better shaft

thanks Doug. If you had to choose one or the other for low/mid launch and really tight dispersion, would you go with Shimada Tour's built to X flex or Modus3 120TX?

also, does anyone know if Shimada makes a K's model iron shaft that's comparable to the green label Tour iron shaft?

shimada tour 120s    and  X  flex  ive played pretty extensively.

the X  flex I found insanely  impossible to move laterally what so ever    but my gawd were these unfriendly for feel.

the s  are better...... they are still very rigid but  the X were something else.

the NS 120x are a much nicer smoother  feel. 

id prob not go for the shiamda x unless u really are a  strong stiker  .. ( think  x100 Dg plus)

the stiffs for me are  good ,  and I cud prob soft step them for a  bit more forgiveness.

both these really don't like to go sideways what so ever.

1 hour ago, gregoire56 said:

thanks Doug. If you had to choose one or the other for low/mid launch and really tight dispersion, would you go with Shimada Tour's built to X flex or Modus3 120TX?

also, does anyone know if Shimada makes a K's model iron shaft that's comparable to the green label Tour iron shaft?

The shimadas are tightest dispersion of both I have play x ss and stiffs liked the x ss more but I prefer to hit straight iron shots more so than moving the ball around.

done know much at all about the greens label shimadas 

21 hours ago, D22marshall said:

The shimadas are tightest dispersion of both I have play x ss and stiffs liked the x ss more but I prefer to hit straight iron shots more so than moving the ball around.

done know much at all about the greens label shimadas 

gotcha, thanks for the info. think I'm going to take your advice and shaft a set of the Shimada Tour's. if I don't like them I can always switch to the Modus3 120's

also, by the way, I'm loving the i-33! thanks again for that beauty  

1 minute ago, gregoire56 said:

gotcha, thanks for the info. think I'm going to take your advice and shaft a set of the Shimada Tour's. if I don't like them I can always switch to the Modus3 120's

also, by the way, I'm loving the i-33! thanks again for that beauty  

We got there in the end glad your enjoying it?

• 3 months later...

An update on the Shimada K's 8001 shafts. 

The Shinagawa MB heads now have Crazy CBI-80 Limited in them and working really well.    I wish Crazy would start producing them again. 

I recently acquired a used set of Bridgestone J015 CB heads and so I decided to install the K's8001 in them.  

BINGO!   The slightly thin feel that I was getting from the Shinagawa/K's 8001 combo is not felt with the J015CB combo.  

The J015 CB paired with the K's 8001 really feel great at impact.   On a side note,   I did install some Pro Soft foam inserts in them to see if I can reduce the unwanted vibration further and I think it is pretty effective.   Slight mis shots off of the center do not feel as harsh compared to without the inserts.        

In any case,  these K's 8001 shafts are sweet!  Been wanting to swing my irons as "easy"  as possible and these 100g shafts allow me to do that. 

The feel at impact is as good as heavy steel shafts.    Even when I swing easy, I get proper distance and the stability is there as well. 

for those who use Modus 105 Stiff and feel that they feel a bit harsh,  I think these K's8001 are great alternatives that feel smoother without loss of tight dispersion.    Trajectory might be slightly higher on the Shimadas compared to the Modus 105s but probably not by much.   

Highly recommended!!