Welcome to Japanese Golf Clubs at Golf To Impress

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Grumpy

Anyone have any information about PXG irons ?

28 posts in this topic

Hi There,

Anyone have any information about PXG irons ? It's cost 300 to 350 per head, how do they feel ?

Thank you for the help. 

I think it cost much more than that, not just 300-350 per head. It hurts!

I have two buddies that play PXGs, both excellent players. They love them, and while expensive they think they are worth the money given that they do not change irons very often. I have hit them a few times and personally don't find to be special  They have the feel of Ping irons that have enhanced distance due to aggressive loft specifications.

I have also hit the 3 wood and if I was going to buy something from their line that is the club I would spend the money on. Looks good at address and is long (but I'm not sure it because of design or the loft isn't a true 15 degrees). I could shape it left or right without any extra effort. Like everything the key is finding the right shaft. 

Around my neck of the woods you have to be fitted by a PXG tech and prices per iron head start at $350 depending of shaft choice, which are many and varied. The 3 wood runs at or close to $650. 

Tried all of them thanks to my clubmaker , finally keeping my epon irons , but their drone putter kicked my combo ryomap3/dogatti out of the bag 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:16 AM, rjw said:

I have two buddies that play PXGs, both excellent players. They love them, and while expensive they think they are worth the money given that they do not change irons very often. I have hit them a few times and personally don't find to be special  They have the feel of Ping irons that have enhanced distance due to aggressive loft specifications.

Parsons, the owner of PXG, hired a bunch of former PING engineers to design his clubs, so you'll find a lot of similarities between the PXG clubs and some older model PING clubs, especially the i25 driver and woods those are extremely like the PXG driver and woods. as you can see from rjw's comment the irons also supposedly feel similar to certain PING models, the difference being that PXG uses some soft internal material which they tout makes the irons feel and perform better, but that's very debatable. that design feature isn't even as innovative as PXG tries to make you believe it is because Yonex did the same thing first  with their Ti-Hybrid MB irons, and in my opinion Yonex did it much more successfully by using titanium internally to create a very high performance MB iron instead of the soft plastic-like material that PXG uses which makes even their tour model iron closer to a GI or CB in terms of feel and performance than a real MB but they make it look and sound like it's supposed to be more like an MB. I actually think the best design feature in PXG clubs is the many changeable weights because that makes it really easy to dial-in an individual's perfect SW, but that can also be accomplished by any competent club fitter so that too is not a particularly revolutionary or innovative design feature, but PXG tries to market it as such. 

I personally think their clubs are good stuff in comparison to the other popular brands like Callaway, Titleist, TaylorMade, etc., but if you're going to compare them to the types of equipment you'll find on TSG then it's a totally different story. a high-quality one-piece forged MB or CB I think will out perform their irons all day long, and their driver and woods are blown out of the water by the likes of jBEAM, Grandista, Ryoma, PRGR, etc. Their driver heads are entirely cast from the same exact material (Ti 8-1-1) that's used to make the body of the PING i25 driver, and even the i25 used Ti6-4 for the face because it's a better material for that purpose. In fact, the new PING G400 driver has a forged Ti6-4 face, so I'd expect even that to significantly out-perform the PXG drivers. No forged cup face or revolutionary proprietary material or anything like that used in the PXG woods, contrary to their marketing. so for all those reasons if I were to spend that kind of coin on clubs I would definitely not spend it on a set of PXG's. I'd go with a high-end one-piece forged set of irons and wedges, driver/woods from the likes of a jBEAM, Grandista, Epon, etc, and if you're dropping big money on a putter you might as well go with something like a Benock, SEVEN, handmade Yamada, or something like that which exemplifies the pinnacle of putter design and craftsmanship.  

11 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

Parsons, the owner of PXG, hired a bunch of former PING engineers to design his clubs, so you'll find a lot of similarities between the PXG clubs and some older model PING clubs, especially the i25 driver and woods those are extremely like the PXG driver and woods. as you can see from rjw's comment the irons also supposedly feel similar to certain PING models, the difference being that PXG uses some soft internal material which they tout makes the irons feel and perform better, but that's very debatable. that design feature isn't even as innovative as PXG tries to make you believe it is because Yonex did the same thing first  with their Ti-Hybrid MB irons, and in my opinion Yonex did it much more successfully by using titanium internally to create a very high performance MB iron instead of the soft plastic-like material that PXG uses which makes even their tour model iron closer to a GI or CB in terms of feel and performance than a real MB but they make it look and sound like it's supposed to be more like an MB. I actually think the best design feature in PXG clubs is the many changeable weights because that makes it really easy to dial-in an individual's perfect SW, but that can also be accomplished by any competent club fitter so that too is not a particularly revolutionary or innovative design feature, but PXG tries to market it as such. 

I personally think their clubs are good stuff in comparison to the other popular brands like Callaway, Titleist, TaylorMade, etc., but if you're going to compare them to the types of equipment you'll find on TSG then it's a totally different story. a high-quality one-piece forged MB or CB I think will out perform their irons all day long, and their driver and woods are blown out of the water by the likes of jBEAM, Grandista, Ryoma, PRGR, etc. Their driver heads are entirely cast from the same exact material (Ti 8-1-1) that's used to make the body of the PING i25 driver, and even the i25 used Ti6-4 for the face because it's a better material for that purpose. In fact, the new PING G400 driver has a forged Ti6-4 face, so I'd expect even that to significantly out-perform the PXG drivers. No forged cup face or revolutionary proprietary material or anything like that used in the PXG woods, contrary to their marketing. so for all those reasons if I were to spend that kind of coin on clubs I would definitely not spend it on a set of PXG's. I'd go with a high-end one-piece forged set of irons and wedges, driver/woods from the likes of a jBEAM, Grandista, Epon, etc, and if you're dropping big money on a putter you might as well go with something like a Benock, SEVEN, handmade Yamada, or something like that which exemplifies the pinnacle of putter design and craftsmanship.  

.....well, being yourself a 14 handicap, gaming forged blades, i would strongly recommend to give a try to PXG irons..............i promise you will be surprised to see how quickly your handicap will drop.............:-)

7 hours ago, casamarina said:

.....well, being yourself a 14 handicap, gaming forged blades, i would strongly recommend to give a try to PXG irons..............i promise you will be surprised to see how quickly your handicap will drop.............:-)

Brother, I appreciate the good intentions trying to help out, but my score alone doesn't indicate how I strike the ball even a little bit. My previous iron set was RocketBladez which would fall into the super GI category. I'm an athlete specifically ice hockey and I've had a real fitting done by a world renowned builder, my iron striking and my 3 wood are the only two really consistent best parts of my game. If I could putt I'd be in the high 70's. I hit my blades better than I've ever hit any other club and I've tried maaaaaany. I've hit the PXGs and like I said they're good but being purely objective their quality is far from a lot of what can be found on TSG. 

So if your intentions were good, again I appreciate the advice, but if you're really that knowledgable about golf then you know a handicap is in no way an exact method of qualifying a person's swing. I use my blades because I hit them better than every single other iron I've ever picked up, not because I pay attention to stereotypes and think it makes me look or sound cool. 

Well said.

Sorry i think, they  are a joke  , there are billikns of them for sale. Not one set resells 

wonder why

8 hours ago, supo said:

Sorry i think, they  are a joke  , there are billikns of them for sale. Not one set resells 

wonder why

agreed.. there are lots of basically mint condition PXG iron sets listed on eBay, and no one buys them because the sellers think somebody is going to pay $1,500-$2,500 for a used set of irons that the seller bothered to customize and purchase but didn't even like enough to keep

Well, as a PXG user, i still think that they perform very well and, again, i am coming from Miura, Epon and ONOFF.........but this is obviously personal.

And, gregoire56, my apologies for my judgement.......i was indeed trying to help, just based on my personal experience.

To me, in terms of game consistency, going from Epon AF302 (fantastic clubs) to PXG 0311 literally changed my life.

But, again, this is very personal........

Cheers

6 hours ago, casamarina said:

Well, as a PXG user, i still think that they perform very well and, again, i am coming from Miura, Epon and ONOFF.........but this is obviously personal.

And, gregoire56, my apologies for my judgement.......i was indeed trying to help, just based on my personal experience.

To me, in terms of game consistency, going from Epon AF302 (fantastic clubs) to PXG 0311 literally changed my life.

Cheers

That is awesome Casa! I wish I could have a revelation too. It would probably entail something different than the irons I decide to play. Perhaps someone could help me hit a green from 50 yards? From 200 yards out - not a problem - but from 50 - yikeeeees! Has to be the hardest shot in the world. I'd take a fried egg in a steep bunker any day compared to the fairway dead center and 50 out.

22 minutes ago, bngolfer said:

That is awesome Casa! I wish I could have a revelation too. It would probably entail something different than the irons I decide to play. Perhaps someone could help me hit a green from 50 yards? From 200 yards out - not a problem - but from 50 - yikeeeees! Has to be the hardest shot in the world. I'd take a fried egg in a steep bunker any day compared to the fairway dead center and 50 out.

:-)

well, that is the next step/level.......................after all, now with PXG, i am still a modest 8 cap on a good day..............:-)

...........and, definitively PXG will NOT help you hit a green from 50 yards better than any others!

I demo'ed the PXG here (on mat at range) and they were okay but don't have a chance to take it out on course.  The problem is their unbending policy of using their shafts (built by them) and wouldn't use any preferred shafts by the purchaser.  This is one of the reasons that I did not get a set built.  

Btw, the easiest shot for me is 50 yards in.  Being a senior golfer and a 17 hdcp,  short game is how we are still able to shoot in the high 80s. 

I wish you could teach me. I'm 40 and a 3 handicap (used to be a scratch collegiate player who turned pro but never practiced) but where I think I should be able to hit it to within 6 ft every time from 50 yards I'm struggling with hitting the green. I'd take a 6 iron over half a wedge any day.. I wish I was fit enough to play now. Maybe I could motivate myself to a little bit of practice.

19 hours ago, casamarina said:

Cheers

it's all good mate, one thing that's unquestionable is that there's no such thing as one-size-fits-all golf equipment, everyone's unique with what is best suited to their swing and personal preferences. PXGs obviously work phenomenally for some players or else there wouldn't be so many tour and amateur players speaking so highly of their clubs, you're not the first and for sure won't be the last I hear sing their praises. I have a good buddy I play with all the time whos a scratch handicap and he's adamant that he'd buy a set of PXGs in a heartbeat if he had the means currently. plus I did try them and definitely liked the 0311T's, I just get by far my best results and feel from a one-piece forged mb/cb so some of the others you mentioned like Onoff (CB358) and also PRGR (iD nabla Tour) irons are right up my alley. never tried the AF302's but I've heard nothing except good things. 

also.. even though I couldn't putt my way out of a paper bag, I'm actually pretty capable inside 100yds, and for the 50yd shot I'm confident that I can use either of the Crazy CRZ Tour wedges (52 and 58) and sneak it within 10ft almost every time, very comfortable distance for me and especially with those wedges. another club I have total confidence in from that range is S-yard Bold 60*, that club is radar from 75yds and in, almost even gives an average guy like me the ability to hit those big Phil-style flops around the greens (almost). i'd be intrigued to try whatever the PXG club is you're referring to as the 50yd master though. just keep killing it with whatever clubs you're using because single digit handicap is definitely tough to achieve (believe me, I know) so you've obviously doing something right. 

4 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

it's all good mate, one thing that's unquestionable is that there's no such thing as one-size-fits-all golf equipment, everyone's unique with what is best suited to their swing and personal preferences. PXGs obviously work phenomenally for some players or else there wouldn't be so many tour and amateur players speaking so highly of their clubs, you're not the first and for sure won't be the last I hear sing their praises. I have a good buddy I play with all the time whos a scratch handicap and he's adamant that he'd buy a set of PXGs in a heartbeat if he had the means currently. plus I did try them and definitely liked the 0311T's, I just get by far my best results and feel from a one-piece forged mb/cb so some of the others you mentioned like Onoff (CB358) and also PRGR (iD nabla Tour) irons are right up my alley. never tried the AF302's but I've heard nothing except good things. 

also.. even though I couldn't putt my way out of a paper bag, I'm actually pretty capable inside 100yds, and for the 50yd shot I'm confident that I can use either of the Crazy CRZ Tour wedges (52 and 58) and sneak it within 10ft almost every time, very comfortable distance for me and especially with those wedges. another club I have total confidence in from that range is S-yard Bold 60*, that club is radar from 75yds and in, almost even gives an average guy like me the ability to hit those big Phil-style flops around the greens (almost). i'd be intrigued to try whatever the PXG club is you're referring to as the 50yd master though. just keep killing it with whatever clubs you're using because single digit handicap is definitely tough to achieve (believe me, I know) so you've obviously doing something right. 

Hi my friend, you are obviously extremely knowledgeable about golf and golf equipment and, again, my apologies for rushing into conclusions earlier........

I don't actually spend much money apart from golf stuff, and i was blessed enough to be able to purchase a set of the new PXG milled wedges (50, 56 and 60 precisely).

As you said, there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all in golf but, to me, those wedges are amazing.

I think i am generally pretty good from within 100 yards, but definitively those wedges gave me that touch of "feel" to save more pars and birdies from the short range:-)

11 hours ago, Duffer19 said:

I demo'ed the PXG here (on mat at range) and they were okay but don't have a chance to take it out on course.  The problem is their unbending policy of using their shafts (built by them) and wouldn't use any preferred shafts by the purchaser.  This is one of the reasons that I did not get a set built.  

Btw, the easiest shot for me is 50 yards in.  Being a senior golfer and a 17 hdcp,  short game is how we are still able to shoot in the high 80s. 

Hello, when you are in Hong Kong, you may go to Pura Golf in Sheung Wan. They are authorized PXG and i think they can help you out.

Cheers

Thanks and I am now in HK full time.  At the moment quite happy with my 2 bags, Epon 703/MCI and Grindworks DC/Roddio I-6 and 2 identical M1/Evo 2 driver.   I demo'ed PXG at HKGC twice but only think the difference would be just marginal to my own gear. Also tried the driver with Auga shaft.  The driver is forgiving enough but lose distance to my own M1/Evo combo.

4 hours ago, Duffer19 said:

Thanks and I am now in HK full time.  At the momquite happy with my 2 bags, Epon 703/MCI and Grindworks DC/Roddio I-6 and 2 identical M1/Evo 2 driver.   I demo'ed PXG at HKGC twice but only think the difference would be just marginal to my own gear. Also tried the driver with Auga shaft.  The driver is forgiving enough but lose distance to my own M1/Evo combo.

Well, you are indeed playing excellent combos...............Epon/MCI is definitively fantastic:-)

PXG makes great irons.   Are they longer and more forgiving than pings?  nope.

Now that the hype has faded the PXG players are able to step back and see them for what they are which is just another really cool golf brand.    

Now that the hype has faded on the Callyway EPIC driver was it really that much longer than other drivers?  nope.  But the first 2 weeks they came out they were.

Most people buy marketing hype over technology,  materials, and where it's made.   Most people on the internet jump ship once the hype dies down.  

PXG is trying to define that they are drastically different than other brands yet they are doing the exact same things as other brands, using the same factories and same designers and paying the same players and using all the same tactics.  

Still to this day no one can tell me what PXG has that makes the product itself special.  It's hype and growth is notable, the money it's spending to achieve that growth is as well.

Hey Bn, I have exactly the same problem with hitting greens but around the 80 to 100 mark!  If not, I would be a low single digit handicap golfer....even at my age. LOL. Like you I would rather be in the bunker any day....especially having discovered the Frog's Leap 64* wedge. I get it up and down 7 out of ten times! 

BTW I really liked the two sets of PXG irons that I had previously. If I got a set of heads at a good price, I would switch the Baldo iron heads (no slouch in themselves) for the 0311  with my Basileus Biz 90 shafts (which rock by the way)!

Now if I could afford the Seven CMB ahhh.....perhaps that would be another story. 

Ive played the entire PXG line.

The irons, hybrids , and wedges are all very strong performers.   As good as anything Ive ever hit.

The fws are a good solid design,  but nothing ground breaking that stands out.

The driver is a dud.  Its forgiving enough,  but really lacks the firepower. Not worth the cost.

On 8/6/2017 at 7:28 AM, driverhead said:

Ive played the entire PXG line.

The irons, hybrids , and wedges are all very strong performers.   As good as anything Ive ever hit.

The fws are a good solid design,  but nothing ground breaking that stands out.

The driver is a dud.  Its forgiving enough,  but really lacks the firepower. Not worth the cost.

Have you perhaps tried the new 0811 X and XF series? Great improvement compared with the original 0811!

On 8/7/2017 at 9:42 PM, casamarina said:

Have you perhaps tried the new 0811 X and XF series? Great improvement compared with the original 0811!

I have the XF irons. I prefer the original 811 irons.   I have not tried the X series or XF drivers.