Member Review - JBeam Galpha

DSC09703-Recovered.jpg

Had a chance to shaft up this  Jbeam Galpha  driver with a TRPX  Xanadu to give it a whirl.    First off,   looking at the head at address,  shape wise very reminiscent of the legendary JBeam BM 435 ( aka Crazy CRZ 435 ) .   I have not checked recent stats,  but at one point the BM 435 was the most popular driver used among Japanese Mid Am players in competitions.    I also noticed that the paint had some colorful glitter mixed in.  Adds a touch of bling to the overall look.      At 445cc,  it definitely looks smaller than the said volume due to the deep profile.   Looking at the sole,  I do like the new design where it uses a mix of IP finish and mirror chrome accents.   Nicely done JBeam!    Face milling is present on this model as well.   It is said to provide slightly lowered spin. 

DSC09711-Edit-Recovered.jpg

Before hitting a ball,  I bounced a ball off the face to get a sense of what I should expect in terms of feel and sound at impact.    Having tried and failed with many JBeam heads with DAT55G face,   I was anticipating a slightly hollow “Klunk” sound that ended up being a deal breaker too many times…  But wait.. this one’s different.   More of a SP700 or 6-4 Ti type sound with a subtle metallic high pitch sound mixed in.   Ohhhh Wowww!   This is going to be really good!!  I knew it right off.

DSC00134-Edit-Edit-Edit-Recovered (1).jpg

After a few warm up shots, I started to see a consistent low-mid penetrating trajectory with a baby fade.    Not bad,  but I normally play a straight to mini draw trajectory.  BTW, I am really liking the feel of this shaft too.  Very stable for a 58g shaft.    Let’s see if I can move around the weight screws to get the desired trajectory. Moved the heavy weights to the heel and back.   Theoretically, this should straighten the shot a bit and provide slightly higher trajectory for more carry.   With this configuration,  I was starting to hit the ball more consistently with a mid trajectory and straight to slight draw shots.     Pretty soon I ran out of range balls and called it a day.    I sure enjoyed hitting all the balls today mainly because of the drastically improved sound and feel!

DSC06756-Edit.jpg

It still remains a mystery of exactly what material they used on this new head.    But I am now very curious to know if they are utilizing the new material for the new Glorious Second driver as well…    This Galpha is an excellent driver, but it is probably not the most forgiving driver on the market.  Honestly speaking,  I can use some added forgiveness.   In cany case, this new head has changed the way I think of JBeam drivers.     If you were like me and disliked JBeam drivers because of sound and feel,  you should have a look at this one.    Feel and sound wise, this head is comparable with Epon and Mizuno now.     Of course for those die hard JBeam fans,  this is one Jbeam driver that should not be overlooked.   Tried and true performance now with improved sound and feel!!

DSC06740-Edit.jpg

I hated the sound and feel of the 435. It did not perform for ME as well. But that is just me. Glad to hear that they improved on that area.

7 hours ago, shacco said:

I hated the sound and feel of the 435. It did not perform for ME as well. But that is just me. Glad to hear that they improved on that area.

Thats wild.  I have tons of feedback and notice similar feedback with the 435.  Some people covet it and claim it to be the straightest and longest low spin club,  I am in this boat.   Yet I also see people who have difficulty getting it airborne,  hate the feel and dont get the distance they expected.

How do you get along with other JBeam drivers?  

Is there a simple reason you think the 435 was a dud for you?  specs? shaft? weights installed?

Loved the feel of the 535. Does the Galpha compare favourably?

How do you compare it with ZY-11?

Had the ZY-11 and loved it. Probably the best driver I have ever had. Completely different to the 435.  

Also had the ZY-7 but it also did not perform like the ZY-11. Very much preferred the ZY-11 in terms of feel and performance. ZY-7 was a bit bettter than the 435 but actually Pretty similar. 

Edited by shacco

Love my ZY-11 with 7D. I want to try other drivers but I think it will be a waste of time. It took me 5 years and literally 20+ clubs to finally find the ZY-11. So satisfied with the sound and feel of the foamed head. I credit TSG and this forum for ending up with this combo. 

On 6/9/2017 at 7:35 PM, liftsheavy said:

Love my ZY-11 with 7D. I want to try other drivers but I think it will be a waste of time. It took me 5 years and literally 20+ clubs to finally find the ZY-11. So satisfied with the sound and feel of the foamed head. I credit TSG and this forum for ending up with this combo. 

I could just copy and paste your post and apply it to me.

Pre ZY-11 my driving game had issues off and on.

Post ZY-11 w/ 7D my driving game has been at its best.  

But 435 Black out with my same 7D shaft is pretty close,  I would say longer just less forgiving.

Jbeam heads help me by reducing spin and keeping my shots straight

• 4 months later...

All drivers are within 5-10 yards of each other head vs head.

You can get amazing distance with this club or terrible distance.  

It depends on the specs you choose,  the shaft and its characteristics together with your swing.

This does not mean go out and get a fitting because imo those are often garbage as well just trying to sell you something.  You need to learn what you like,  your preference in size, loft, specs, and head also what type of bend profile, flex, weight, feel in a shaft you want etc.. then you write down what works.  Then it becomes way more fun looking for gear because then you can actually figure out what you want on your own.

Galpha is a fantastic driver.  I am a ZY11 / 435 kinda guy for years.  Galpha feels better,  is forgiving,  is a little higher launching than the 435/ZY it has just the slightest bit more spin ( I want this vs the other Jbeam heads )  its mid trajectory.   good feel,  the usual jbeam distance and lower spin,  and with the right specs/shaft/build it for me is very long.