Lighter golf shafts

Henry

So we had an XXIO demo day at my club over the weekend. Very nice clubs with very light shafts. My swing speed increased slightly and hence more distance with these clubs. With that being said, I am not familiar with very light golf shafts and what is out on the marketplace. My swing speed is about 85-90 (smooth) so I think a lighter shaft would be of benefit. Anyone have thoughts on light shafts and what is out on the market and what to look for?    

I tend to like lighter shafts, too. MCI's and OTi's are great carbon/mixed shafts. And lately I've been enjoying the NSPro 105's in steel. As long as you can feel where the club head is in your swing, light can be ok and will increase swing speed.

Is this about wood shafts or iron shafts?   

If you are talking about lighter driver shafts,  there are now offerings by a few brands with sub 30g shafts.   

I recently switched from 70g range driver shafts to 60g range and it has helped my swing more consistently especially towards the tail end of a round.   

Lighter shafts are good as long as you can get enough control that you need. 

Edited by nobmontana

We always talk about swing speed as the only factor in ball speed (distance) but I'd love to see a discussion of mass affecting distance. I wonder how much mph you have to gain when you give up a certain amount of grams in the golf club to see an increase in distance?

That's the dilemma in a nutshell. Everyone has to find the balance that works best for them. All the factors, most certainly including mass, work their way into the equation. 

And then of course everything changes on you just when you think you've found the answer... 

<g>

... because new equipment comes along and takes more advantage of one factor or another... and if your swing is adaptable, you have to admit you can feel the advantage that way, too... 

... and on the quest goes...

I am looking at lighter shafts for the driver and would like to know what is out therein the marketplace.   

If you have a smooth swing speed you can go lighter.

expect slightly softer tips

higher launch

less fatigue over the round

you can swing smoother or slower which may help

---

What weight do you use now?  

---

Yes as Nobs said some shafts are sub 30s now like the new Crazy.

I have the jBeam Glorious Driver with a stock shaft in SR. I think its in the 50's gram area but not sure. Love this driver but if I can tweak out some more distance, I am all for this! 

• 4 months later...

How about light steel shafts for irons. Anything lighter than NSPro750 in steel?

Edited by Henry

25 minutes ago, Henry said:

How about light steel shafts for irons. Anything lighter than NSPro750 in steel?

Nippon Zelos 7.

https://www.tourspecgolf.com/nippon-ns-pro-zelos-7-steel-shaft.html

The 750 wrap tech had bad sound and feel. 

The Zelos7 fixed that but still a little hollow

Zelos8 is very nice all around.

I feel that the Zelos series comes second behind the many carbon iron shaft options available.