The American Classic Remastered – MacGregor IM-G5 Classic!

IMG_0310.jpg

Introducing the MacGregor Japan Tourney Classic IM-G5 Iron Master Putter!  This putter is 100% made in Japan as a limited edition based on the original dating back to the 1930’s when it was named after Tommy Armor.  Back in the 30’s to 40’s it cost only $8.00 brand new oh have time changed as today it costs almost $600 dollars. 

IMG_0311.jpg

Back in the day there were three versions

· IM straight neck 
· IMG gooseneck 
· IMGN Swan neck

The number after the model name represents the length. IMG 5 → 35 inch.  IM stands for Iron Master while the G stands for gooseneck.  Players who play L style putters use them to  avoid the left side.

IMG_0329.jpg

This head is 100% CNC milled of stainless steel in Japan.  The quality is beyond anything MacGregor golf has ever produced.  The heel weight is made of SS at 10 grams while the toe is 19 grams made of tungsten to promote a straighter roll.

IMG_0313.jpg

Its body is made of SS400 an extremely soft Japanese steel while the face milling has a cool wave effect to promote straightening of miss-hits.

IMG_0323.jpg

It comes with a wrench yet no extra weights  ( sold separately ) It comes with a leather head cover along with a special Microfiber grip (69g) made by Muzik Golf.

IMG_0330.jpg

The putters shaft is the heavier 136 g “NS Pro” made by Nippon Shaft Co producing a stable stroke with moderate weight sensation.  Its such a beautiful and well made putter and having putt with it myself I can say with confidence it is the best iteration of any L shape putter to hit the market to date.

IMG_0322.jpg

These will go quickly and TSG only has several in stock.  You may purchase by ( clicking here ).

agreed! that putter actually looks like an L that I could use somewhat effectively. gorgeous 

Wasn't Mactec the Japanese Mcgregor line? I had mactac irons and drivers in the 90.s but I think they folded.  Is this putter a revival of the brand or there is still the Japanese Macgregor brand separately?

16 hours ago, Duffer19 said:

Wasn't Mactec the Japanese Mcgregor line? I had mactac irons and drivers in the 90.s but I think they folded.  Is this putter a revival of the brand or there is still the Japanese Macgregor brand separately?

Mactec was a line in Mcgregor line up.   They are still around.

Beautiful putter.

Fun story about the originals. My dad had one for many years. Never thought anything of it until I was on my honeymoon back in the mid 1990's in Hawaii. Went to a golf shop. They had 2 of these original putters in locked cases and were asking about $1,500 a piece for them. I started to get excited, found some price guides (before the internet) and found prices to be about $750 to a $1000 in mint condition. Over the years, I would hunt these putters down at garage sales, found about 10 of them and stashed them away in my basement. My last purchase was probably around 1998.

Fast forward to about 2015 when I was cleaning my basement. I found my putters underneath a sofa. Thinking that these putters would increase in value over they years, I quickly went on EBay dreaming my purchases would result in an early retirement! To my dismay, it turns out these putters were common, not as valuable as originally thought of and bring about $50 each. Shucks!

If anyone is interested, be happy to post a pick of the original. Macgregor certainly captured the beauty of the originals with its new release. Simply amazing.