Miura ICL-601 Driving Irons

They are cast,  made in taiwan yet perform really nicely.

DSC08590-Edit-1.jpg

The ICL-601 by Miura Golf was just announced and released in Japan.  Its a driving iron with a hollow cavity and weight screw located on the sole.   Miura designed this club as an optional replacement to the long irons in their forged iron sets creating a club easy to hit 200 yards and beyond.

DSC08565-Edit.jpg

First thing to note is that its a driving iron and how that differs from a hybrid is the DI is basically a really forgiving long iron and in this case it is a hollow structure made of SUS304 in the body with a 455 carpenter steel face which is commonly used in fairway woods.  The standard weight screw is 8g but Miura does offer optional 4/6/10/12g weights to help you dial it in.  TSG can also custom order the weight you desire already installed at the factory.

DSC08578-Edit.jpg

This head does have a good amount of offset but that is usually necessary to help square the club face up and hit straighter shots.  If they went ahead and made this a straight neck it would be so much harder to hit than it is.  The top line and shape is very attractive from its wide flatter sole to its clear blade top line all done in brushed satin to reduce glare.

DSC08562-Edit.jpg

The CG is of course deep considering the weight location but also this head when hit was very tolerant of mistakes.  On the grass range the consistent straight and medium / high ball flight was evident.  I feel many Miura forged iron players should drop their long irons for one of these.   Those who hit long irons better than hybrid woods should use a driving iron.

DSC08582.jpg

Its flat sole with little bounce and camber makes perfect entry in dry or wet conditions.   A little camber may be needed if you play in soggy conditions but its light years easier to hit than most 3 & 4 irons.   Miura did not make this in Japan and they were very transparent about it being made at their Taiwan supplier.   Because this head is made of steel there is no finish or plating its brushed as a SUS putter would be.  Miura is offering 3 lofts 18/20/23 all 3 are heavy with the base weight of 8g at 232/238/244 grams.

DSC08559-Edit.jpg

The Miura ICL-601 comes with a nice carbon look cover.  The 23* is now shipping to customers while 18/20 will be released at the end of July 2017.

DSC08598-Edit.jpg

Looks just like Callaway's prototype driving iron of five or so years ago that Callaway never should have abandoned in favor of their current offerings. If it hits like it, it will be a winner.

Definitely like it.

Really wish there was a 26° option. 

Would snatch up a 26° in a heartbeat, no thought involved.

39 minutes ago, magpies said:

Bring on the Epon 905 driving iron :tsg_smiley_muscle:

that unfortunately is not going into production anytime soon.

1 hour ago, magpies said:

Bring on the Epon 905 driving iron :tsg_smiley_muscle:

I don´t understand why they stopped manufacture the Epon 901???

Best driving iron ever!!!

Edited by Leffe

I don't understand why most di's are so chunky. Makes them look ugly and uninspiring. I want the Honma MA. I again offer a reward for anyone who "borrows" it from Tanihara's bag and ships it off to me. ?

37 minutes ago, bngolfer said:

I don't understand why most di's are so chunky. Makes them look ugly and uninspiring. I want the Honma MA. I again offer a reward for anyone who "borrows" it from Tanihara's bag and ships it off to me. ?

37 minutes ago, bngolfer said:

I am told that he uses one that performs very similar to the new TW-U.

https://www.tourspecgolf.com/japanese-golf-clubs/honma-tw-u-forged-utility-iron.html

It looks like it in the pictures. Close. And I will probably get the bew TW-U when I can play golf again. First 4-5 years of shoulder pain, then surgery and the shoulder is all good. Now thump pain. Have not hit a ball since August. MR, CT and standard x-ray show nothing. Boring.

23 hours ago, bngolfer said:

It looks like it in the pictures. Close. And I will probably get the bew TW-U when I can play golf again. First 4-5 years of shoulder pain, then surgery and the shoulder is all good. Now thump pain. Have not hit a ball since August. MR, CT and standard x-ray show nothing. Boring.

You and I are in the same boat.

Left shoulder injury took almost a year to heal,  then I got chronic plantar fasciitis and bicep tendonitis...  after rehab, shots, steroids and plenty of time off..  I finally got better and I was cleared to work out again.  Hurt my other shoulder 2 weeks later.   My sport hobbies do not help.   I am slowing the swing and playing lighter softer shafts now days.  

It sucks to sum things up.. for both of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there going to be any custom requests on these? Ex. 26° or 27°?

I know in the past they were able to accommodate some custom requests. Curious if that is still an option.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, RaidersGolf99 said:

Are there going to be any custom requests on these? Ex. 26° or 27°?

I know in the past they were able to accommodate some custom requests. Curious if that is still an option.

Thank you!

There is the same custom bending TSG offers on it's irons I believe.  2* either way loft and lie.

On 7/30/2017 at 11:06 AM, TourSpecGolfer said:

There is the same custom bending TSG offers on it's irons I believe.  2* either way loft and lie.

That wasn't the question I was asking. 

A 26°/27° .... As in a custom head. NOT a 23° bent weak. 

Mr. Miura was known for accommodating special requests, for example 1 and 2 irons and the 64k come to mind. 

The question is, will those custom "one-offs" be available?

17 hours ago, RaidersGolf99 said:

That wasn't the question I was asking. 

A 26°/27° .... As in a custom head. NOT a 23° bent weak. 

Mr. Miura was known for accommodating special requests, for example 1 and 2 irons and the 64k come to mind. 

The question is, will those custom "one-offs" be available?

Miura does not manufacture this head.  It's made in Taiwan and finished in Japan so no I'm sorry.

10 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Miura does not manufacture this head.  It's made in Taiwan and finished in Japan so no I'm sorry.

Thank you.