Seven MC-Bliss

RLL33

Okay, I've had these Seven MCB's in the bag for a couple of weeks' worth of rounds now. I wanted to wait before posting to be sure I wasn't over-the-top-honeymoon-insane (which I was from hitting just the 6-iron demo...). And I can now say I am just over-the-top golf insane. With these irons, I risk a claim of having found Nirvana... the Holy Grail... my hardware soulmate... or f**k it, all of the above.

I've played JDM blades, musclebacks, cavitybacks, forged, cast, any and all combinations... and I've never felt anything like these Seven's. Look, feel, sound, length, precision, workability -- every aspect of the iron game is not only superb, it's unique.

Every now and then I come across a club that amazes from the first hit. Not just because it sends the ball out in a streamer that matches the image in my head of the shot I would hit if I were able to hit the shot I want to hit. But because there is something surprising, or even shocking about the feel of the contact. It happened when I hit my first drive with Kobayashi's S-Yard T355. And years later when I rolled a putt with the Ryoma P3. And now with these MCB's.

In fact, mentioning the P3 putter is appropriate here. The feel of these MCB's is, for me, the iron version of what that putter produces -- a feel unlike anything else I'm aware of in a golf club. Soft? Absolutely. But with a sticky rebound effect that effortlessly jumps the ball out there and yet allows varying control with ease. I think it was Mikey who first said of the demo that it's like a player's club that legitimately cheats for you. Perfect way to describe it. This iron is a tool that jumps everything I've learned about the golf swing to a level of consistent repeats of hitting my shots true. And with an enormous sweet spot and forgiveness all around it, that goosebumpy "nailed it" feeling gets repeated (for me) an unheard of number of times all through a round.

Some specifics include the shaped leading edge that finally has allowed me to put the Special-K kikuya on my course out of mind. I haven't experienced the dreaded stuck in the ground wrist wrencher that takes several holes to recover from even once. The club glides through that stuff like it's actually grass... <g>  And out of rough -- which on our course is sometimes like US Open rough -- I finally can hit a 5-iron or a wedge that I don't have to worry will kill off the worm population in the 50 yards in front of my angry face... 

Which brings me to the added wedge in the set, the AW. I've always played three wedges (four if you count the pitching wedge). But I've never had an AW as part of my iron set. This introduces another surprising variable with no jump to a new feel, different sole width, and shaft flex, etc, when it's time to go to a wedge beyond the pitching wedge. The result? More of that consistency that feels the way I've always imagined a perfectly tuned iron set ought to offer up and the confidence that inspires from all distances. Not to mention the reduction of the flyer effect out of gnarly s**t.

Maybe the marriage of the Modus3 shaft with the MCB is part of the equation (along with the new Pro V1 ball). All I can say is the feel this combination produces has given me what I've long been searching for through all the different trials of graphite, steel, carbon, and composite shafts. Smooth beyond smooth. Power, length, control. For me, especially enjoyable is the knock-down traj that links golf taught me is my best scoring shot from 6-iron length. The MCB shoots those out with ease. And then launches a high 9-iron to the sky with a soft thwack that prepares you for the upcoming thump on the green that you wish could give you more of those GIR's on your card.

Damn, I'm going to stop here at the risk of the golf gods descending on me this week with lightning bolts or something. But to anyone wondering if this club is worth the cost, I can only smile and hope that everyone's answer is no, as that will leave me with the unique advantage that this club gives. I offer congrats to Chris one more time. You've designed something truly special here and deserve grand kudos. You certainly have this golfer's big time thanks!

Some quick pics:

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

...and of course...  <g>

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

--RL
   Seven-Seventeen-Seventeen

Edited by RLL33

Very nice. Would definitely like to try these one day. Great post.

Lordy Lordy Lordy that's a tempting review. Even the cat looks intrigued. 

Thanks, Ian.

And, Chuck, nothing goes to the course without Pi's approval... 

Ooof truly gorgeous looking clubs!

I will have a set as soon as I can beef up my PayPal account. :)

Thanks, Mikey. Your original comment on the demo's was a big part of whetting my appetite on these irons. Glad I listened and got on the demo list.

Great to hear!  Thank you for this review.

All SEVEN MCB's are sold out as of today 7/18/17.

It will be another 2 months before we get more and during those 2 months the back order will grow.   It is likely we will be sold out before they arrive.

This direct to consumer stuff is working.  I doubt we would be selling as many if the head price was $600 ea.

Great review!!   I am so tempted to get these!!  I love my Seven x Shinagawa MBs but from a real life scoring perspective,  I know I should be using these MCBs or CBs.    During my last trip to Japan,  I went to Victoria Golf in Shinjuku to check out the latest lineup of all the major JDM brands. 

While it was nice to see all the newest irons including flagship products from PRGR, OnOff, Yamaha Honma and Mizuno in person,  after seeing the Seven CBs and MCBs in real life,   it seems that I have lost appetite for the major JDM brands!!!        They just don't match up with the Seven CNC irons.   Not even close! 

Then Seven MCB and CBs are waaay up HERE! _____

Epon and Miura here _____

There is JDM here _____

There is USDM here _____

Congrats to those who made the wise decision to own these very very special irons.  

I will soon order a set as well! 

Edited by nobmontana

I agree, Nob, and if/when you do get your hands on them, I don't think you'll be sorry. 

I decided this year to be honest with myself about my scoring issues, too. Started with the experiment to replace my driver with the Ryoma 2-wd. And I haven't looked back since. I hit the 2-wd often as far as I used to hit my driver, but I'm hitting many more fairways now. Add this set of MCB's in, and last week I had my personal best scoring round ever on my (tough) home course. With these irons feeling as sweet, or even sweeter, than my blades and MB's, it seems like a no brainer. Worth the cost? To me, no question.

I look at my bag at the moment and am really happy with the unique setup I've found my way to. Has upped the fun level and lowered my scores at the same time. I'll def take that.

I guess one could argue ... you could achieve the same level of scoring with a set of clunky looking Super GI clubs .. 

but you know....  looking at beautiful clubs is part of the game for us club nerds,  right!?    

Happy to hear you found your ultimate set up...  but we both know this is not the end of it especially if Chris keeps on producing new products that exceeds the current ones!!  :)    

1 minute ago, nobmontana said:

looking at beautiful clubs is part of the game for us club nerds,  right!?

No question about that!! And ain't no way no "clunky GI club" is going to feel like even part of the same species as these... 

And since Chris is basically responsible for introducing me to everything in my bag (except the copper Cally-64... <g>), I have no doubt that the future holds more splendid surprises, too.

Cheers!

Thanks, Victor.

fwys & greens, my friend!

--RL

And BTW, not even Cally makes my forged copper 64 anymore. So what do I do? I've sent my spare to Chris and TSGworks to refinish in their Smoked Copper to match my A-Grinds.

:tsg_smiley_japanese:

Top Line Photos and Sole Pics.

While the M stands for Medium this iron has a thin top line with offset is like a blade.  The cavity is very deep for its size.

The leading edge is pronounced.   The sole and the shape are the reason why the MCB is so easy to hit. 

DSC09056-Edit.jpg

DSC09041-Edit.jpg

DSC06108-Edit.png

Hit a green from gnarly rough with the 5-iron yesterday 180 out. Would have normally used my hybrid from there. Shot went straight and true. Too much...

16 minutes ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Top Line Photos and Sole Pics.

While the M stands for Medium this iron has a thin top line with offset is like a blade.  The cavity is very deep for its size.

The leading edge is pronounced.   The sole and the shape are the reason why the MCB is so easy to hit. 

DSC09056-Edit.jpg

DSC09041-Edit.jpg

DSC06108-Edit.png

From address it looks similar to an MP-5

10 minutes ago, Ian-500 said:

From address it looks similar to an MP-5

It is, Ian. Maybe a tad longer heel to toe. But the way it launches just gives more confidence. Sweet spot is way larger.

So I'm thinking, these in 4, 5, the CBs in 6, 7, 8, and whatever MB Chris comes up with to compliment these irons in 9, PW, GW.

No pressure Chris...just saying ;)

Edited by chiromikey

Ultimate combo set.

I'd go for a 4-mcb. (This is actually the first set of irons in a long time where I'd go for a 3 as well. )

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick follow-up on the MCB's.

If I'm still in the honeymoon phase with these irons, it's the longest honeymoon I've ever known. They just keep growing on me, and I find myself looking forward to hitting them the next day when I go to sleep at night. I've also posted a new personal best round with them at my club, and my handicap has come down a full point. The sweet spot on these just seems to get bigger... 

Also re: the finish, another big thumbs up that verifies what Chris describes as unusually durable. We have multiple holes at my club with waste bunkers lining one side of the fairway, and the surface down in these baranca's is very harsh with sand, sticks, small stones, and whatever else God and the red-tail hawks care to deposit down there. Some of my other sets -- i.e., black or copper -- have taken a beating in surface scratches from these valleys of sin, but the MCB's show barely a mark so far.

Also have to say, I'm glad I seem to have provoked several discussions relating to putting ego aside in favor of scoring via more forgiving clubs. The difference, I'd still add, is that these MCB's give up nothing, nada, zip, to the blades that I'm still super fond of in terms of both look and feel. A rare, rare set of irons, these.

Next up in my experiment is a very unusual configuration of one of the new Maxima drivers that Chris and I have attempted to get close(r) to the F2 2-wd experiment I've been running than any driver I've tried before. Will report back on that, too... 

One question I have is about the straight neck ....   Does the MCB offer workability compared to other GI heads that have significant offset? 

I ask this because I recently picked up a set of Mystery WNC-710  Game Improvement forged irons that have significant offset.  ( Yes it is quite the ugly duckling.  I bought it for the shafts that came with them )       

I read that article on WRX about a low handicapper using Rapture irons and scoring low so I decided to give these a try. 

My stock iron shots are draws with any typical players irons.   With these Mysteries, they are pretty much straight to a very very mild draw. 

While they offer almost no workability,  I pretty much get point and shoot straight shots with them and NOT hooks.        

After gaming the Shinagawa blades for a while,  using these GI irons are totally a refreshing experience....  I feel like I can shoot under par with them!! ( Never done this yet!! ) 

Anyway,  if I can add workability to the mix with these GI irons,  I feel that those would be the "Ultimate" score making irons.  And perhaps the MCBs are just that?!!  

GO LOW!! 

Yes, absolutely workable, nob. I not only find that I can hit nice draws with all of them right through the AW, but that I'm even having some luck with baby fades -- a shot I've always been reluctant to use in any pressure situation. (Don't know why exactly, except for undying memories of ugly wipes that take longer for me to erase from memory than hook mistakes, for some reason... I feel an odd pride sometimes in a hook, but nothing but embarrassment with a wipe... <g>)  

Anyway, i find I'm more versatile working the MCB's than I was with the last CB I truly liked -- the A-Grind R1 CB. I could draw the longer irons in that set, but starting at the 8-iron, not so much. Maybe it's just the confidence that the MCB's seem to have inspired in me, I don't know. But even if it's just that, I'll take it.

Also meant to mention that I'm really liking the Iomic grips I put on these, too. They're the Art Series Sticky Opus. I think they add to the overall feel that I'm enjoying. (Used to always stick with Tour Velvets...)