Off the rack Mizuno brand golf clubs in Japan are going away?

nobmontana

Mizuno Japan just announced their next line of products for their Mizuno Pro line of irons to be released in September. 

http://products.mizuno.jp/c/category/golf/club/iron

However,  they are all "Custom Order Only"  models.    which  if I am not mistaken can only be purchased and ordered thru a custom fitting!!  

Perhaps Chris can shed some light on this?    Are these Mizuno Pro irons completely off the table now for international buyers? 

On a positive note,  the 118 and 518 now both come with multi layered finish   Nickel  > Copper > Nickel > Chrome 

The 118 is a pure blade which they claim will have smaller head size specifically for the short irons compared to the already compact MP4s

518 uses multi material construction ( Tungsten and Titanium ) by strategically placing them where it counts.   

There is also a 918 model which is a Pocket cavity iron made with 1025 Boron which I am assuming is a replacement of their JPX900 forged irons. 

Not sure about the intent of the "Custom Order Only"  deal but sure hope we can still buy these from overseas!!  

Edited by nobmontana

Additional notables:  They have come up with a more advanced Grain Flow Forging process called  "Grain Flow Forging HD"  in which they were able to create a higher density grain flow specifically around the hitting area.     The result is an even longer lasting impact harmonics/sound and better feel.   

One more!! :)     they now officially call the sole design as "Luke Sole"     after Luke Donald of course! 

And a copper under plating........ Will the MP-18 have this?

21 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Mizuno Japan just announced their next line of products for their Mizuno Pro line of irons to be released in September. 

http://products.mizuno.jp/c/category/golf/club/iron

However,  they are all "Custom Order Only"  models.    which  if I am not mistaken can only be purchased and ordered thru a custom fitting!!  

Perhaps Chris can shed some light on this?    Are these Mizuno Pro irons completely off the table now for international buyers? 

On a positive note,  the 118 and 518 now both come with multi layered finish   Nickel  > Copper > Nickel > Chrome 

The 118 is a pure blade which they claim will have smaller head size specifically for the short irons compared to the already compact MP4s

518 uses multi material construction ( Tungsten and Titanium ) by strategically placing them where it counts.   

There is also a 918 model which is a Pocket cavity iron made with 1025 Boron which I am assuming is a replacement of their JPX900 forged irons. 

Not sure about the intent of the "Custom Order Only"  deal but sure hope we can still buy these from overseas!!  

Yes that is correct they plan to only sell through in person fitting dealers.  TSG will be selling these as well not a problem.

Mizuno does not sell well in Japan.  The shoes yes but clubs not really.

I find it funny that some brands are moving toward the past instead of the future.  Doubling down on the retail sales model and pulling back from the web is very cave man.  The exact opposite is happening in nearly all industries as malls are closing,  brick and mortar anything can't compete, golf shops can only do volume at a huge expense while the brands that they bow to also deal directly to the customer now...

btw multi layer finish is like NICR Satin like a seven putter.

Here is where the 118's sit.  Nob's care to explain this chart? 

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 8.52.13 AM.png

This is a chart that compares the size of the sweet spot of the different models (5iron) 

horizontal axis is the toe to heel length of the 5 iron head.   the vertical axis is the calculated sweet area value where the 

sweet area value = toe·heel moi x up·down moi x 3.14 / 100,000 

Wow! Just wow! Thanks, Nob!!

PS.  Would love to see an interactive version of this chart that would insert any (or even just most) irons. Would also bet the MCB would be WAY in the upper right. 

MP-5 shorter heel to toe that the MP-4??? Can't be.........

MCB should be Middle High in the chart.   Toe to heel as I recall is not that long.

If the MOI numbers are available,  the numbers can be calculated.

I am a bit skeptical of the formula though...

size of sweet spot is only dependent on moi and nothing else?