Putter head materials

supo

sus 303

gss

css

sm490a

the list continues

anyone  know WHAT the difference actually is  , if any ?

the one thing im 100% sure  of is milling differnces, the deeoper   the softer the feel  at impact with the same ball.

Edited by supo

my putter collection currently consists of:

SEVEN Limited Edition SH (SM490A)

Epon i-33 (s20c)

Yamada Borzov (premium soft carbon steel with double platinum boron plating [all the info I could find on its material])

SeeMore Tour FGPss (SUS303) 

Piretti Rev2.0 Cortino 2 (11L17 carbon steel)

I can't elaborate on any specific differences between the different types of steel and what benefits each might provide, but I can offer a description of my personal experiences with each if it's helpuful :/ i'm sure that's not what you're looking for though

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not a connoisseur of stainless steel varietals, but here is my collection of handmade Xenons, all made to my precise specs and design preferences.  It would be hard to find a favorite as each had its nuance.  I will say, though, that face thickness probably has the greatest impact on feel.

Copper with Mokume Gane sight line

Stainless Damascus with Copper sight line

Niobium

Brass

Stainless with Mokume Gane insert

Aluminum Bronze

Copper Nickel

IMG_3119.JPG

wow those are some beauties there fellas. when I get a chance i'll snap a few pics of mine too and post them with comparisons on the feel of each 

6 hours ago, kaaayelll said:

I'm not a connoisseur of stainless steel varietals, but here is my collection of handmade Xenons, all made to my precise specs and design preferences.  It would be hard to find a favorite as each had its nuance.  I will say, though, that face thickness probably has the greatest impact on feel.

Copper with Mokume Gane sight line

Stainless Damascus with Copper sight line

Niobium

Brass

Stainless with Mokume Gane insert

Aluminum Bronze

Copper Nickel

IMG_3119.JPG

Wow! Impressive. So what's your favorite feel metal out of all of these? What's the softest? Hardest?

Best feeling putter I've ever used, by far, was a Bettinardi BB2 DASS with a copper plating and 3 sound slots. I've never rolled anything that felt like that thing. SM490 is also very addicting, especially with the Muziik putter shaft. 

That's a beauty, S!!  Lump's work is awesome. If you haven't gone the route of having one designed from scratch, I highly recommend it.  Reach out if you ever want to see some inspiration, but the range of possibilities is staggering!

Rob, brass, if the face was a little thicker on mine might have the most incredible combination of softness, density, and resonance.  I love copper, so a solid billet milled to my specs is pretty special.  The SS Dama is surprisingly soft, but this particular version is actually fairly ferrous, though won't rust.  The copper nickel and niobium are incredible in their own right, but whether they are worth the significant upcharge (especially niobium, which is still below or well-below a Gold's or Benock) is certainly subjective.  One can't go wrong with the metals that fit into base pricing: SS, carbon steel, copper, brass, aluminum bronze.  A handmade Xenon, in my opinion, is the best value in putters.  A custom BPUTTERS is phenomenal, too - fabulous Italian design and craftsmanship!

Beautiful putters, K, just beautiful! Can almost feel them through the pics...!