Brief Intro on the new Egg 2017 Series

TourSpecGolfer

20747014_10209672282220913_716167700_o.j

Introducing the new PRGR EGG Series!  New Driver, fairway woods, utilities, irons, and even golf balls are scheduled to release mid September.  I have had demos for weeks now and have hit them we will be posting individual club reviews this and next week.  Needless to say I was very impressed and know these will fit a wide segment of amateur players who prioritize distance, forgiveness and technology over all else.

PRGR has been doing the EGG series for many years known as super long,  higher launching and forgiving golf clubs.  PRGR as a brand really pushes the envelope when it comes to design beating to a different drum compared to other golf companies,  they measure information differently and use unexpected solutions to solve problems for the player.  From measuring grip speed over club head speed to using open faces on most of their clubs (measured differently) PRGR also seems to patent a lot of their technology and sometimes feature multiple patents in a single product.  The parent co. of PRGR also known as Pro Gear in Japan is the Yokohama Rubber Co.  They make tires,  hoses,  industrial materials for all types of craft.   

prgr-super-egg-clubs-for-blog.jpg

Let’s start with the woods first thing to note is that anything “SUPER” in PRGR is Non-Conforming.  The SUPER’s theme is black and gold.  That means a little more distance I would say at 100mph center of the face you can gain 5-10 yards.  The actual COR is 0.86 where as conforming clubs have a maximum COR of 0.83.  TourSpecGolf has the most experience in selling non-conforming clubs and we also receive the most post purchase feedback from our customers and people do report the occasional freak +15-20 yd pops but face breakage at 100mph is an actual risk.  The Fairway wood and utility are both non-conforming as well.  You see that’s PRGR pushing the envelope again,  making non conforming fairway woods are even today rare and only found in Japan now making a non-conforming utility wood,  that’s pretty much unheard of.

prgr-egg-clubs-for-blog.jpg

PRGR also has a 2 conforming Egg drivers both have a black and red theme.  The first is the EGG IMPACT SPEC made with a heavy 202g head and short 44.5″ length.   The next conforming model is simply known as EGG Driver (no super) and it comes at 45.5″ with a 195g head.  There are other differences between the SUPER vs the CONFORMING versions.  The super has that sole channel and no exterior weight visible.

prgr-egg-irons-for-blog.jpg

Next we have 2 new iron designs one geared to big distance and forgiveness the other for a touch more player yet still really long and easy to hit.  This is the new Egg iron folks.  We will sell a lot of these to those who want to hit the ball a lot farther.   The models are the PC & PF.  PC is the larger head and the pitching wedge is 37*!  Thats 10 degrees stronger than my blades!  The last PRGR Super Egg Iron released I could hit the #7 iron almost 200 yards straight,  high and easy thats the type of loft we are talking about here.  The FORGED version isn’t much different.  It’s PW comes in at 38* It’s still a multi piece head with a stainless face and forged body that utilizes both S20C and S45C.  People who get these really should invest in the optional clubs because few other products will align well with these.

We have pictures and reviews coming later this week.  I hope you enjoyed the introduction. 

I like the silver color scheme they adopted for these new PC and PF irons.  

Looks much cleaner and classier! 

With 37 and 38* for PW, how do you fill in the gap?  My 703 is 43* PW and I have to use a 48* and a 54* GW.

2 hours ago, hardboiled said:

With 6 wedges!

And your 2-iron will be 8°. That would be fun :-)

11 hours ago, Duffer19 said:

With 37 and 38* for PW, how do you fill in the gap?  My 703 is 43* PW and I have to use a 48* and a 54* GW.

Best thing would be to use their set matching wedges and maybe add a lob of your choice.   

these are clubs designed for ease of use and good distance so there should be no need to jack up the lofts like they have - senseless.

There are 2 reasons why this works.

1.  If you want mega distance of course you will make super strong lofts.

2. If you want super mega distance you will use multi piece,  super thin high cor steel faced,  almost wood like designs.

1 + 2 = distance unlike anything else.  

If your missing one of those things it's not nearly as long.

Only 3 irons I know of are in this category:

PRGR Super Egg & Egg irons
 Yamaha UD+2
Maruman Shuttle NX

Also understand that for a stronger player who can handle the look lead tape + stout steel shafts frankenstiened into these literally gives you super powers. 

Now that I have a 9 iron that is actually a #6-- I'm suddenly a really long hitter!    In the good old days all you had to do was turn the #9 upside down and it was a #6. 

Obviously these clubs aren't for the average guy around here but if it helps an aging golfer get some distance back and enjoy the game more then they've done their job. And that one on the right looks pretty damned good for a gi iron!

2 hours ago, chiromikey said:

Obviously these clubs aren't for the average guy around here but if it helps an aging golfer get some distance back and enjoy the game more then they've done their job. And that one on the right looks pretty damned good for a gi iron!

I am wondering what this average guy will use to hit a 50 yard pitch shot :)

I am no longer an aging golfer since I am already past that but still don't understand the need for super super super strong loft on irons.  If i need distance, I just change to a UT to hit that distance that I can no longer hit with a mid irons.  I don't carry a 5 irons but have 4 ut in my bag and could very well adding a 30* UT if I can no longer hit a 6 iron properly.  Changing the # on an iron so you could call the 6 a 9 makes no sense to me yet.

34 minutes ago, Duffer19 said:

I am no longer an aging golfer since I am already past that but still don't understand the need for super super super strong loft on irons.  If i need distance, I just change to a UT to hit that distance that I can no longer hit with a mid irons.  I don't carry a 5 irons but have 4 ut in my bag and could very well adding a 30* UT if I can no longer hit a 6 iron properly.  Changing the # on an iron so you could call the 6 a 9 makes no sense to me yet.

I think its more about catering to ego than anything else.

Edited by hardboiled

How is this different from modern "players"  irons having a 46 deg pitching wedge when 25 years ago everyone had 49 deg pitching wedges?  

I think its all about filling the distance gap.    If you can fill your distance gaps with these irons, they should work out fine.    

Egg series has been a very popular product line in Japan.   I look at them as the Japanese version of Ping G series.  

On social media the same opinion is often shared.  People are getting hung up on 2 things.   #1. Its non-conforming and #2. the # vs loft thing.

What I say is try hitting a #7 iron 200 yards then hit a 7 wood 200 yards and see which is more accurate with the better result.

Also people are not taking into account the design of the club.  It's not only about loft,  it's about the length,  the head design and shape that makes that loft easier to hit.  You want a strong lofted club that is easy to hit.  That is why it looks ugly by design because they can't do all that in a small package.

On 2017/8/16 at 5:48 AM, TourSpecGolfer said:

There are 2 reasons why this works.

1.  If you want mega distance of course you will make super strong lofts.

2. If you want super mega distance you will use multi piece,  super thin high cor steel faced,  almost wood like designs.

1 + 2 = distance unlike anything else.  

If your missing one of those things it's not nearly as long.

Only 3 irons I know of are in this category:

PRGR Super Egg & Egg irons
 Yamaha UD+2
Maruman Shuttle NX

Also understand that for a stronger player who can handle the look lead tape + stout steel shafts frankenstiened into these literally gives you super powers. 

Hi there, which iron it's more popular in Japan Yamaha Prgr or Maruman? 

I used to think the 46* pw thing  was mehhhhhhhhhhh  but I realsied  recently that I  much prefer  wedges that  are properly  geared for wedging, most PW  are awful to look at,. I now have a yururi  2010mb   pw that I had bent  to 49* and that is about a  billion times nicer to look at than a stock PW.

I have no iussue with distance on irons,  its irrelevant  IMO  just change up the  long irons to utes. makes the game SO much  easier

oh prgr  by   a ways id think, the shuttle was EXTREMELY popular however.

Edited by supo

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sunshine8 said:

Hmmmm....any way to get a single 4 iron to use as a driving iron?

Get the PRGR Egg UT instead.  Last years model makes a great driving iron.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 11:57 PM, Duffer19 said:

I just got a set of these.   I have used several models of EGG irons thru  the years.    The 2014 Super EGGS had the biggest wow factor, The 2015/2016 Red Egg irons had the most shot  control.   The 2017 PC EGG irons have the  wow factor distance of the 2014 Super Eggs,  and the shot control of the RED EGG irons.   The sole design has the best turf interaction of any Egg,  or any iron that I have hit.  As for the gap factor, I have the 7-A wedge.  The A wedge is 43 degrees (great for chipping BTW) .   50 54 AND 58  degree PXG wedges, and the transition is very smooth.

Edited by driverhead

9 hours ago, tmelton697 said:

Did you get the standard graphite shaft?

Yes.   Im an old school feel player. I have found the PRGR  shafts in irons, utilities,  fws and  drivers works well for me.