Callaway Epic Forged driver

Vegaman

I've seen a photo of this show up on TSG's Facebook page, but so far nothing more detailed? Is that a forged cup face? What ti material is used? Etc etc, when is more info coming

Edited by Vegaman

SP700 is the face material.  This club is also limited edition for shop sales I am told.  TSG will be able to get some.  

The premise around this thing is feel.  It feels and sounds much better.  

There is a natural draw bias to the head and that can be tuned down with a lighter weight in the heel

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 1.15.20 PM.png

Callaway needs to ditch the arrow and the face graphics IMO.

9 hours ago, Mjr. D said:

Callaway needs to ditch the arrow and the face graphics IMO.

+1  and unfortunately this is what sells now days.  I was talking with some random gear enthusiasts at a golf shop younger gentlemen and all wanted red taylormade putters.  

• 2 weeks later...

On the GBB EPIC FORGED ...

What lofts are available? 9? 9.5? 10? 10.5? 11?

Is it Japan only or is this a US launch too?

On the sole of the club, are there THREE moveable weights (heel, neutral, toe) or TWO moveable weights (heel, neutral)?

Thank you for the information!

Please excuse, from my previous post, my first and third question.

I just got the information from the USGA Conforming List. 

9.5° & 10.5° with 2 Moveable Weights

BUT .... Anymore info on whether or not it's Japan only? Or both Japan and US?

THANK YOU!

http://callawaygolf.jp/products/クラブ/ドライバー/drivers-2017-gbb-epic-forged-jv.html

The weights are just screw in type weights and not movable like the normal Epic.

From what I have read,  these are a Japan only release because Japanese users are more particular about sound and feel.  

This is why they chose to use all Titanium including the crown. 

Also, hosel is not adjustable. 

On 9/10/2017 at 11:32 PM, nobmontana said:

http://callawaygolf.jp/products/クラブ/ドライバー/drivers-2017-gbb-epic-forged-jv.html

The weights are just screw in type weights and not movable like the normal Epic.

From what I have read,  these are a Japan only release because Japanese users are more particular about sound and feel.  

This is why they chose to use all Titanium including the crown. 

Also, hosel is not adjustable. 

Poor choice of word on my part. You are correct, they don't move, but can be swapped/fined tuned.

I'm beginning to get excited about the Epic Forged. I'm getting everything I could ask for. The only thing the Epic Forged doesn't offer is my desire for a sub 400cc head. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, TourSpecGolfer said:

SP700 is the face material.  This club is also limited edition for shop sales I am told.  TSG will be able to get some.  

The premise around this thing is feel.  It feels and sounds much better.  

There is a natural draw bias to the head and that can be tuned down with a lighter weight in the heel

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 1.15.20 PM.png

I think the forged looks WAY better at address 

We ordered 50. rep is telling us we will be lucky to get 5.

Pre orders are close to 20 soon.   Not looking easy to get.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a mid OCTOBER release with a limited product run.

GBB EPIC FORGED Driver
New appearance from the EPIC series!
Limited novelty gift campaign on hold!
Scheduled release We will deliver it from mid-October in order.

On 2017-09-18 at 6:33 AM, gregoire56 said:

I think the forged looks WAY better at address 

I agree. It does look way better. Still ugly though. Not only the graphics - horrid - but also the shape. I don't get it.

Today I gripped my old Epon 460zr and concluded that for a 460cc driver it is close to perfection. 

Read a review of this driver on the " Golf Club Shidanikki "     He says the feel is waaay better than the standard Epic Star and Sub Zero models sold in Japan.   He also mentions that the distance performance is similar to the other two.   I am thinking that the forged head has a bit more spin because its not as low CG due to the TI Crown being slightly heavier than Carbon?    

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody? ... Anything more? .... Mid October has come and gone .... Anybody swinging one of these yet?

24 minutes ago, RaidersGolf99 said:

Anybody? ... Anything more? .... Mid October has come and gone .... Anybody swinging one of these yet?

check the blog Chris did a pretty thorough write-up about it like last week where he goes over personal experience, customer feedback, etc

1 minute ago, gregoire56 said:

check the blog Chris did a pretty thorough write-up about it like last week where he goes over personal experience, customer feedback, etc

Missed that. Will have to find now. 

Performs like most drivers.  feels better than other EPIC drivers.

I would choose it for the feel alone if it was against the Star and Sub Zero.

• 2 months later...

Are Callaway JPGA Staffers playing the Epic Forged Driver out on Tour this Season?

13 hours ago, RaidersGolf99 said:

Are Callaway JPGA Staffers playing the Epic Forged Driver out on Tour this Season?

Yes quite a few,  women and men.  

Ive played a few rounds with it and I like it alot.  its an EPIC with better feel.  I would not say the feel is amazing but it definitely is good.  I tried both IZ and Fuji EVO IV.   Up against the Modart MA01D+R with the same EVO IV shaft it was not as good though in both feel and distance but the Forged Epic had the tighter dispersion.

Now that the global model Rogue will be released next week,  I am now wondering if Callaway Japan will also do a Rogue Forged Driver?

Rogue looks to be a bit more forgiving in general compared to the Epic. 

The Rogue FW is one that caught my attention. The driver not so much as I don't think it will be an improvement over the Epic. I also prefer th looks of the Epic. For the FW, bonded hosel and Jailbreak... what's not to like. To be honest, not sure how effective Jailbreak is on a FW and I assume it is more marketing than actual performance, but still intrigued to try. In a driver I am a "believer" of Jailbreak. For me, I have seen significant ball speed increase over any other driver incl. JDM DAT55G cupface driver.

4 hours ago, shacco said:

The Rogue FW is one that caught my attention. The driver not so much as I don't think it will be an improvement over the Epic. I also prefer th looks of the Epic. For the FW, bonded hosel and Jailbreak... what's not to like. To be honest, not sure how effective Jailbreak is on a FW and I assume it is more marketing than actual performance, but still intrigued to try. In a driver I am a "believer" of Jailbreak. For me, I have seen significant ball speed increase over any other driver incl. JDM DAT55G cupface driver.

I'm not sure its the jailbreak giving you more distance.  More likely its everything else.  CG locations,  face material,  shaft, basic head design.  

19 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

I'm not sure its the jailbreak giving you more distance.  More likely its everything else.  CG locations,  face material,  shaft, basic head design.  

Of course I also don't really know what it is, but it was just intriguing to see that ball speed was better than with other driver while maintaining similar launch conditions. So, my conclusion would be it's jailbreak, but I could be wrong. Whatever it is, it works FOR ME and that is all I care about. 

Edited by shacco