2017 JDM Utility Shaft Thread!

TourSpecGolfer

Time for a post to help others decide on what UT shaft they should consider.   I don't want this to be a post where people just shout out shafts they like,  we should look at the top options that are made in Japan and post both any positives and negatives about the shaft based on personal use.

Here is a list of my suggestions based on my opinion, customer feedback and quality.

Fujikura MCH - reliable yet numb,  tight dispersion and lower trajectory.  I play one in my A-Grind DST 21* the 80 Stiff.  Fantastic results.  mid trajectory and does not get squirly unless the swing is really bad.

Crazy STP UT - Awesome feel when the flex and weight are correct for the player,  very stable and straight.  I wish their were heavier iron shafts that felt like this.  They need to make heavier weights for softer flexes.  we can have custom factory tipping to help soften heavier weights.

Diamana Thump 90 & 100 hybrids - Very good shaft,  feels better than MCH to me.  result is not as tight or consistent but it has a good medium high trajectory.

Mamiya ATTAS ( not made in Japan )  -  The HY has many weights to choose from.  I have tried this shaft in driving irons and hybrid woods.  They are very good with nice feel,  higher trajectory depending on weight and flex you choose for your tempo.  

Basileus UT - good weights to choose from,  really nice feel,  not the tightest dispersion,  launches higher but ideal for a soft landing with most woods.  Go up to a heavier weight if you need more roll or have a more aggressive tempo.

WACCINE compo GR-560 UT - This is one of my favorite shafts in a UT because oddly I could hit a repeatable draw where I aimed the easiest with this.  That is because it matches my swings attributes and flaws but it feels lighter,  softer yet has stability.  I would suggest for someone who hits a slice as a bad shot or has a smoother tempo.  for more aggressive tempos consider going up in weight and flex.    The 75 Stiff model is perfect for someone with a 90-95mph swing speed.

I used to play steel for accuracy and the lower flight but feel was not good nor was distance.  heavy carbon is the ticket.

I currently own and have preference to:  Fujikura MCH w/ A-Grind DST,  Crazy STP w/ JBeam TF-UT,  and Waccine Compo w/ Baldo 568 UT.  

So what is your thoughts or favorite UT shaft?

being a huge fan of quadra shaft, I really tried a lot on my UTs and ended with the same shaft as my irons , with same lenght as my irons . 

but lately I discovered the beyond power shaft and this is my revolution , so easy , this is the shaft for me 

Only had two JDM shafts in a hybrid/driving iron, and that was a Quadra 100i stiff and a Crazy Black UT 7.4. Loved the Quadra more than the Crazy. Fantastic feel and ball flight. Sold it of course..........

id like to add as much as  i love crazy ut(best shaft they make imo) and the quadra. i find that steel for its dislike is  in all tests ive done.so far prob superior to any/all carbon. its def not as long  but i find  never get as great a varience on miss**ts as with  carbon .

im using ns130 and950 depending in club andnhave no plans.on going to carbon any time soon.

steel is def shorter than the ubers but thats  ok for me .

Edited by supo

Quadra 100 grams in stiff is the best feeling shaft ever. Goes miles and just is amazing. If I could find fairway and even driver shaft with the same feeling i'd buy them straight away..

Just simply amazing. But too light weight for my preference of gaming shorter driving irons / utilities.. :( 

I've played a number including:

- Tour AD-ut. Dead in 95-x as I don't swing hard enough anymore. Straight and low launch.

-Oban Kyioshi 100-s is smooth. Mid launch. Great feel.

-Basileus UT in 80-s also anamazing shaft. Not as smooth as the Oban but a bit tighter.

-Matrix ozik 8h Tour in strong is like the Oban very smooth. Not nearly as tight though and frankly not an option anymore.

I have a Crazy STP Iron 85 in my RC SFD X7 Hybrid and then a KBS Graphite Prototype Hybrid 65g  in a Ping G Hybrid, 

Both work pretty nicely but I think the 65g in the Ping is a tad too light.   Would Opt for a 75 or 85g if I had to redo.

STP feels sturdy and a bit dead ,  but the shots are mid-high straight shots in most cases which I want with UTs.  

Previous favorites have been Diamana Thump 95 as well as Crazy Black UT.      Both are too heavy for me now.  :( 

I do want to try UT shafts from 7 Dreamers as well as the new Roddio Stella .   

The one thing I would say about UT heads is "make up your mind on hosel size!! "     They still have .350, .355 and .370"  

I think USDM heads are now pretty much .370 all across, but JDM heads are still scattered between three sizes.   

Nothing that a shim or a reamer can't fix ... but it's just annoying sometimes.  

I've tried pretty much the full gamut, and the Crazy STP really jumped out as exceptional for me. It's long and explosive for a guy with a smooth tempo swing like me. And maybe it's the stepped structure, I don't know, but I find it very workable and accurate -- especially off the tee when I'm using it with my A-Grind DI's. Not that nuts about the all black finish, but I've gotten used to it.

Interestingly, when I recently switched to Modus-3 shafts in my new irons, the STP-50 I was using suddenly seemed too light and it was throwing me off when I went to my driving iron. I seemed to get too far ahead of the club that I had previously been loving, resulting in pushes. So I decided to try and put a Modus-3 in the DI. Didn't work for me. The weight felt better, but the explosiveness of the STP was immediately missed.

After talking it over with Chris, I'm going to try the STP-70 tipped slightly differently to make it a little softer, but more in line with the rest of my irons at the moment. Hoping that does the trick. When this shaft is the right matched weight for a bag, it's just tremendous.

I am trying to stay away from Oban and Matrix for a few reasons.

1.  Not sure where, how, who makes them and what they are made and the tech used.

2. The way both brands list their tech descriptions is as if they don't want people to know what it is.

Compo-T Fire Express UT  70/85/100 I forgot to add.  I have not tried these ever but like Compo-T's work and have sold many with no negative reviews.

I want TSGers  to understand that some shafts cost $10 to make while others $300 at the factory level.   What they are made of and how they are made are totally different yet the result can be very similar for the average player.  For the scratch or pro player they see big differences.  

I know what shafts are cheaply made and I still see glowing reviews on TSG and especially other websites.  Any shaft can be great if you know what works for you and take time to consider what you need.

5 hours ago, Spoon said:

Don't forget the  TRPX UT shafts the 7 and 8 3 star are amazing and the 7 is one of my all time favorite shafts. Love them!

Yup great shaft.  customer feedback has been that they play too stiff.  Once I started suggesting going a flex down people were pretty happy.

CRAZY STP UT tops JDM utility shaft for me. Nice feel, easy, and accurate. Its a magic UT shaft.

Other shafts that performs very well are Basileus utility and TRPX UT shafts

I've used TourAD DI Hybrid 105x in a ut and loved it. also used a matrix ozik hm3 105x hybrid shaft in a ut and loved it, it was a tour issue shaft though with "NOT FOR RESALE" and tour serial num laser etched onto it. 

would love to try a Crazy STP, either UT or PROTO, as a ut shaft because I haven't gotten the chance to try one of those yet but they sound awesome