Recommend some JDM Drivers

Guest wowBOBwow

Guest wowBOBwow

I have no way to try before I buy with JDM stuff so want some suggestions for drivers to try out.

I've been playing a Dymo 380 for the last few years and love it but forgiveness is obviously not the best. My problem is I despise the pancake-on-stick look of modern drivers. 

So I'm looking for something 420-460cc that looks relatively compact at address and is reasonably forgiving (miss is high block/slice). 

Then you should try PRGR long-specs Super Egg

What is a Dymo?  Sounds like the name tag maker.  What is your handicap would likely dictate the club or makes.  I have many JDM drivers including eh 2016 Egg and so far the best one and most consistent has been the 2016 and 2017 M1 with EVO 2 shaft.  On a good day, I can shoot in the mid to high 80s but normally low 90s.  A good driver is a must and would makes the game much easier.  A good shaft would help since I am a senior player.  Fortunately my normal shot is a draw so it helps with the distance.  A block is normally a swing issue and not a club issue.

19 minutes ago, Duffer19 said:

What is a Dymo?  Sounds like the name tag maker.  What is your handicap would likely dictate the club or makes.  I have many JDM drivers including eh 2016 Egg and so far the best one and most consistent has been the 2016 and 2017 M1 with EVO 2 shaft.  On a good day, I can shoot in the mid to high 80s but normally low 90s.  A good driver is a must and would makes the game much easier.  A good shaft would help since I am a senior player.  Fortunately my normal shot is a draw so it helps with the distance.  A block is normally a swing issue and not a club issue.

I assume a 'Dymo' was the older Nike Dymo. The 380cc version was 'tour only' I think.

I've tried 6 jdm drivers or so - never got one to really work for me - until recently - Modart MA01D+R - so easy to hit.

For my game, the most important club in my bag is the driver. If it works, everything would fall into place.  I can basically putt with Any putter given some practice.  I need all the help I can get with the driver so 460 cc forgiving head would be the ticket.  Like everyone else, tried the S Yard T388 and it was a dismal failure.  I personally don’t care where it is made or how it looks as long as it gets me out there in the short stuff. 

JDM drivers are designed to hide their size.    

However,  even the most compact looking 460 may seem like a pancake relative to your 380 Dymo. 

based on pics i found of the Dymo ,  it has a relatively round profile (not pear shaped ) ,  semi-deep face,   semi shallow back. 

Some smaller JDM are :    Freiheit The G 415,   Epon Zero,  Epon Zero Kai,   Mizuno 611 The Craft,   Yamaha Inpres V203 Tour Model ,  Agrind Y-Proto,     Baldo 568   ,     Tourstage P02-6,  S-Yard T.388   ....      just to name some off the top of my head.         All listed here are 420cc or smaller.   Some are also older models...   

The definition of  forgiveness can be very different for each person too.    So shape and profile in addition to size should be considered.  

J-Beam Black

It would help if you let us know your handicap, ball launch, weight preference etc. Also where are you located? I think this group of FMs can recommend many drivers that may suit you.

I have tried a bunch of JDM drivers and currently have 9 to my name. I’ll never go back to USDM tbh. I started out with persommon Honmas back in the day, then alloy (I think) Honmas, then titanium Honmas. Now the best looking ones are Epon 460zr in my opinion. Super soft, not the longest and quite frankly, who cares? I have a 9.5 and a 10.5 on its way.

In terms of forgiveness I think the Grandista LS-001 is the easiest driver I’ve ever hit. I have two and will keep one for days when I can’t swing..

I'm sticking with my Mizuno 611, but a really good new option is the new Mizuno Mp drivers - the type 1 is 435cc and a good shape and should perform and feel/sound just as good.

http://blog.tourspecgolf.com/2017-mizuno-mp-driver-type-1-type-2/

2010 onoff type d  driver.

prob my most forging  unmissable  driver , they  get  no love bec guys cant change the shafts with ease but when u gte one done right theres no need!

Its easily   the nicest easy to hit driver ive ever hit and by a   mile  , it  just doesn't go overly long

Wth a set of XXIO  irons  id never miss a target............. ever...

oh wait, isn't that the ............. ?????