Is Ryoma still the king of distance for average player?

Calvin

From time to time, all manufacturers will claim have come up with the longest driver ever but it seemed only Ryoma  did give people a wow factor at that time. Now many years have gone by and Ryoma has their own latest model - Maxima, other makers as well. I wonder the new Maxima can still duplicate that wow among these new comer. Compare to Jbeam Galpha, which will make the most of it  for a mid-caper and swing around 94-96 mph.

Aside the distance , what I love with the ryomas is the forgiveness ,

and don’t forget their really great beyond power shaft 

I would not say king.  I think as long as the heads characteristics and the shaft and specs are ideal for your particular swing that is what makes a long driver.

For me, Ryoma makes the best combination of distance with forgiveness that I've ever used. There may be longer (not sure what) and there might be more forgiving (not sure what) but I haven't seen anything that has both of these qualities, to this level.

21 minutes ago, Mjr. D said:

For me, Ryoma makes the best combination of distance with forgiveness that I've ever used. There may be longer (not sure what) and there might be more forgiving (not sure what) but I haven't seen anything that has both of these qualities, to this level.

Any particular model ? Or the whole line up?

6 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

I would not say king.  I think as long as the heads characteristics and the shaft and specs are ideal for your particular swing that is what makes a long driver.

As a 95mph SS, mid-handicapper, could I assume that Ryoma stands more chance to create freaky long shot than Jbeam Galpha does?

14 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

I agree with Chris. The profile of both head & shaft should match your swing. I had a Ryoma driver before but the distance was shorter compared to my current driver.

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

Any particular model ? Or the whole line up?

I have the 2015? Type V driver. Other than a slightly closed "looking" face, it's a phenomenal driver. Only other small criticism would be it tends to spin a little too much into a head wind. Long and straight and forgiving though. Had the last model 3 wood too. Long and super forgiving. Spun too much for me though.

Driver plus right fitting shaft equal performance and distance. As much as I like certain drivers, I am always seeking the perfect shaft to match. I think its an endless search but I keep looking!!!!

Ryoma faces are thinner in general so the driver is a little hotter.   They do have a little more spin and we must remember they are going after the XXIO crowd.

The entire body flexes more than other drivers for example on the new driver with strong force using my hands I can bend the sole in and out.  

Head vs head I feel they have a little more distance but any gains are lost somewhere in the gazillion of variables that are taking place in the swing or build.

long means consistently long..  not just a one off right ?

in that caase.

the  ryoma maxima I found to  be so,  but not the d1, the d1 was straighter the maxima  longer but more wayward

the jbeam l 435   and the kamui pro  tp 07   awlayg gets max distance.

prgr egg 7  as well witht the longer length  shaft.

I think the multiple kick-point shaft which might benefit my inconsistent swing speed is another selling point of Ryoma . They did explain how it works to increase more yardage but by how much? Does the extra yardage match up the extra cost?

The extra yardage not really but the consistency yes ! 

• 8 months later...

Any thoughts on the updated Ryoma Maxima Type D driver?  I have the older model and still play it.  It is a great combination of length and forgiveness.  I want to know if upgrading to the newer version would be any better/longer than the previous model?  As a lefty, my options are limited.  Previously had a jBeam 435, and I did not care for the way it felt at impact.  Thanks for your thoughts.

I’ve had the type v and currently game the maxima. Absolutely love their drivers but am much more impressed by their fairway woods. I own the 3w and 5w. I’m not biased because I own them though. I owned their hybrid as well and got rid of it as soon as possible. It was crap

I really think Ryoma is all about the feeling. You have to get used to the feeling. I’ve bought and sold its driver and FW 3-4 times. I mean the first couple of times I knew it went long, but I just felt so weird at the impact. Well, finally over the years, I found out the Type-G driver head ( can pair with any shafts) and F3 with Crazy FW80 7.4 flex, also F5 with the stock shaft fit me the best! I have 4 F2 and F3 all shafted with Crazy FW80 6.9 to 7.4 now.