Anyone ever hear of Wood Bros Putters? Japanese Hand Forged.

Mjr. D

I came across a thread about Wood Bros putters and the guy had this to say: Some 

"Wood Bros Bench Mark 60s putters (5 models) - hand forged by Japanese Samurai sword maker.

You can see the layers of metal used to make the heads with very close examination. Like persimmon woods, the edges of the multiple layers are stacked up the face of the putter - creating the strongest head and also best feel.

There's a discussion of the Japanese sword maker, Mr. Takagi, now near 100 yrs old and still playing golf, who hand made them on Page 9 of my Wood Bros collection thread.

Maybe 20 examples of 5 different styles were made. Most sold in Japan and almost never seen. I've been collecting them for 30 years and have bought every one I've ever found. Dave Wood doesn't even own any.

BTW - the putters are grooveless faced - don't need grooves - super soft and instant roll off the face.

Anyone ever hear about or try one of these?

you say you have a couple of these? can you post any pics?

I once had a Wood Bros mallet putter that was made from some kind of ceramic and it was extremely good - wanted to buy more but Wood Bros went out of business. This particular putter had a DaVinci sketch on the head.  Would pay good money if I could ever find another.

No I don't have any, I just read about some guy who does and said they're incredible putters.

21 hours ago, Mjr. D said:

No I don't have any, I just read about some guy who does and said they're incredible putters.

oo my mistake, I misunderstood 

hand forged by a sword maker?  I'm not sure I buy that.

Hand forged club right here - http://blog.tourspecgolf.com/seven-hizukuri-proto-l/

16 pages of info about Dave Wood here:  http://bsg/Invision/index.php?/topic/11954-wood-bros-golf-collecti/page-1

Edited by donnieu

I see 2 putters on that link.   I know where both are made.

In Ichikawa japan - sample place that made our Hizukuri.  In fact, that is a version of the Hizukuri in one of his photos.

Billet is heated and Crafter bends it to shape

There is no actual layer folding being done like a sword and these guys have never made a sword before.

That solves that.

Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. The Wood Bros putters were made 30 years ago, by the former Mizuno master club maker, whose family were sword makers and the gentleman himself is now nearly 100 years old. WWII ended Samuri sword making.

These putters have nothing to do with a modern 2017 company, and were hand forged by 1 person.

You are asking about my posts on Wood Bros Golf Company, and all my information comes directly from my friend of 40 years, and the founder/owner of Wood Bros Golf, Dave Woods. After he sold Wood Bros Dave worked for years as the V P of Design and Club Development for MacGregor Golf.

Regarding the sword making reference.

The Mizuno Golf website still claims Japanese expertise in sword making, and that the sword making expertise is used in making Mizuno golf clubs.

The Mizuno forging process video

https://www.youtube.com/embed/O9rVM4-QwiY?rel=0&autoplay=1

Texsport

Edited by Texsport

Takagi and Benchmark 60s putters are described on pages 9/10/12/13 of the link I posted:

http://bsg/Invision/index.php?/topic/11954-wood-bros-golf-collecti/page-9

Ben Crenshaw bought his entire shop supply of 8802 style putters.

Edited by donnieu

18 hours ago, donnieu said:

Takagi and Benchmark 60s putters are described on pages 9/10/12/13 of the link I posted:

http://bsg/Invision/index.php?/topic/11954-wood-bros-golf-collecti/page-9

Ben Crenshaw bought his entire shop supply of 8802 style putters.

That is correct. Ben Crenshaw bought the entire U S stock of the BenchMark 60s 8802 styled putters from the Wood Bros shop in Humble, Texas. Few of these putters were ever made. Dave Wood's estimate is no more than 20 of each model, due to the time required to hand forge them. Dave indicated to me that any remaining 8802 models are likely in Japan. The 8802 model featured a Dave Wood patented cork grip allowing individual putter swing weight and putter balance adjustments.One of the 8802 putters is pictured in my original posts/threat. The Wood Bros thread continues with new information from me and other Wood Bros collectors.

Ben is also a great friend of Dave Wood - the craftsman who sold and modified Ben's MacGregor M85 driver used to win the 1984 Masters.

Texsport

if anyone finds their mallet putter called BALANCE with a Da Vinci motif on the top of the mallet - please let me know.  

On 11/26/2017 at 1:35 PM, Texsport said:

Sorry, you don't know what you are talking about. The Wood Bros putters were made 30 years ago, by the former Mizuno master club maker, whose family were sword makers and the gentleman himself is now nearly 100 years old. WWII ended Samuri sword making.

These putters have nothing to do with a modern 2017 company, and were hand forged by 1 person.

You are asking about my posts on Wood Bros Golf Company, and all my information comes directly from my friend of 40 years, and the founder/owner of Wood Bros Golf, Dave Woods. After he sold Wood Bros Dave worked for years as the V P of Design and Club Development for MacGregor Golf.

Regarding the sword making reference.

The Mizuno Golf website still claims Japanese expertise in sword making, and that the sword making expertise is used in making Mizuno golf clubs.

The Mizuno forging process video

https://www.youtube.com/embed/O9rVM4-QwiY?rel=0&autoplay=1

Texsport

I've never heard of dave before, but once you mention swordmaker in Japanese golf, it's a red flag.  The sword thing is something I harp on.

Same deal with other U.S distributors of Japanese brands using the ancient sword angle.  It fools a lot of people but pots and pans would be more accurate when talking about Himeji.   These brands have nothing to do with swords,  yet it has been in their marketing for years.  Foreign distributors of many Japanese golf brands regurgitate this to others.

So yes It's a stretch to say Japanese swords are related to the golf industry.  

I am not browsing websites for my info or watching brand videos.  I lived in Japan 3 years,  have been back more than 20 times for 1-3 months at a time.  Every day I talk to multiple brands, we visit the best factories and are friends with golf historians.  We know people at Mizuno who have been there for about 30 years possibly more.  If you have a specific question, I can ask and get an answer.  I would be happy to learn something new if I am wrong.  My best guess is there is a disconnect between Dave and his colleagues in Japan.   

Also what is not explained is why these two hand bent putters are the same ones I can get.  The only two choices available for hand bent putters I have seen in Japan.  They are open model hand bent putters.  They are not made like a sword but they are heated and bent.  A tiny bit of hammering to move the metal.  I have watched and video'd these being made in Ichikawa Japan.  

If he is your buddy just ask him who made these?  Or what city they were made in?  

post-53-0-21957600-1409430461.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just to make a few things clear.

1.  Mizuno never forged its own clubs.  It is done by a separate company in Chuo that specializes in manufacturing train parts.  Today the majority has shifted to China.

2. Japan forged clubs are not made like Japanese swords.  Please slap anyone who uses the sword thing to market golf clubs.  

3. The 2 putters in the images shown in the link are the exact same 2 open model putter designs available for decades.

I have no skin in this game,  just letting ya fellas know.

• 2 years later...
On 11/17/2017 at 11:38 PM, Mjr. D said:

I came across a thread about Wood Bros putters and the guy had this to say: Some 

"Wood Bros Bench Mark 60s putters (5 models) - hand forged by Japanese Samurai sword maker.

You can see the layers of metal used to make the heads with very close examination. Like persimmon woods, the edges of the multiple layers are stacked up the face of the putter - creating the strongest head and also best feel.

There's a discussion of the Japanese sword maker, Mr. Takagi, now near 100 yrs old and still playing golf, who hand made them on Page 9 of my Wood Bros collection thread.

Maybe 20 examples of 5 different styles were made. Most sold in Japan and almost never seen. I've been collecting them for 30 years and have bought every one I've ever found. Dave Wood doesn't even own any.

BTW - the putters are grooveless faced - don't need grooves - super soft and instant roll off the face.

Anyone ever hear about or try one of these?

photos ???

This is a photo of an old mallet putter from the Wood Bros website. This is very similar to what I had - same materials and same cork grip...but mine was more of a light brown colour and it had the famous DaVinci human body drawing on the top of the mallet. Apparently these were available and popular in Asia in the early 1990's. I was given one and it was the best putter I ever had and I've owned 50 different putters if I've had one.  The problem was with the ceramic-like material and where the shaft went in - it would easily break. Mine snapped at that point during travel. I've never been able to find a replacement. Wood Bros stopped making them 25 years ago - around the time they went out of business. There is a push from that company in recent times to make a return of some kind - mainly concentrating on their popular persimmon wood clubs.

that clears it up nicely