Putting Aids

bngolfer

Gents,

I wonder what putting aids you are using indoors and why you like them. I’m looking to outfit my new house with a Trackman and a putting area but not just for fun - I want to get better at the game within the game. 

If I go back to my college days, 20 years ago, I had two coaches who claimed I was the worst putter in the game. For averaging 73.7 with 13.5 GIR in my junior year, they were quite right. 12 years later I found a teacher in my native Sweden that tought me to keep my left upper arm tight to my body. I practiced with a towel between my arm and side to make sure there was always contact. I’m a much better putter these days but unfortunately not as good a ball striker.

Anyway, I want a good tool to work on alignment and line primarily. What are your suggestions?

Happy New Year 

I'm going to pickup the Eyeline Putting Mirror as soon as I get back home. I think it has everything anyone could possibly need all in one package. There's a bigger one and a smaller, more portable one. Thing I like about them is you can nail your setup perfectly every time. Will really help with consistency in the setup, which for me, is half the battle. 

Thanks mate,

Set-up is my main issue too. I tend to aim to the right with all clubs in the bag and pull the ball nicely every time. Would be easier to just aim where I’m supposed to. I’ll check it out!

Ok, I’ll take a look at that too. Thanks Stew!

I had the Yamada one for a while....  the one issue I had with that trainer was the fact that it forced you to stroke in an actual straight stroke. 

Unless you have a lie angle of 90 deg,  making a natural stroke  with a putter with 70 deg lie angle should inevitably result in a slight arc movement.   The Yamada trainer unfortunately does not take that into account.    Still,  I do think the DVD that came with the trainer provided some good thoughts about putting posture and rhythm.      Also read Yamada's biography book that came with the trainer pretty interesting.  :) 

I currently have a Ryoma "Umakunaru Cup"  ( Umakunaru means "Will Improve you" )       

https://www.ryomagolf.co.jp/webshop/index.php?_page2=detail&c=04&i=0017

- The size of the cup itself is 10% smaller than a real hole.     

- The side slope forces you to aim at the middle of the cup. 

- The shallow cup profile forces you to putt with just the right speed.   

If too weak , the ball will deflect to the side ,  if too strong the ball will come right out of the back side.   

Simple yet very effective in my opinion.  

Currently, I am really wanting to try the Pelz putting tutor that Matsuyama uses. 

Thanks Noboru! I bought a Wellputt mat for starters. I do have an arcand an open/shut stroke so not interested in anything that messes eith my stroke. Consistency though. So a gate would be good. Anything that focuses on sweetspot is interesting too. I do think I hit the sweetspot a lot more than most but it can aleays be improved. After I align and get the distance feel, I focus on hitting a specific dimple. It has helped me with distance a lot.

• 1 month later...

I don't want to advertise for other companies on here.. but SeeMore has a great putter aid for alignment (which is their specialty) and getting the ball rolling along your desired line: http://www.seemore.com/accessories/triangulator.html 

I have one, and if you take the time to go to the green and practice it's a fantastic accessory to have, and for only $10

Thanks mate - that makes a lot of sense. The only non JDM putters I have these days are SeeMore and Tad Moore. It is something with always wanting more..

ya i actually game my SeeMore TourFGP a lot, especially when I'm having putting problems. that's one club i'll never ever let go of

• 5 months later...

Hottest golf coach right now..... Search YouTube "George Gankas IMPROVE YOUR PUTTING STROKE"