SOLID GATE by Benock

TourSpecGolfer

DSC1270.jpg

SOLID GATE by Benock – You are looking at one of the coolest and most sadistic putting trainers the golf market has ever seen. Oh and by the way it’s better made than just about any putter on the market, pure quality micro-milled of A5052 (JIS) manufactured in Kyoto Japan at the Benock HQ.

The Solid Gate putting trainer allows practicing of repeatable putting with focus on aim and distance control. The emotion of nailing a put perfectly and getting the ball to stop on one of the two notches will make you ecstatic. By requiring perfect distance control and aim it really helps in creating a zeroed in focus which ultimately makes the cup seem huge when you are on the golf course. 

DSC1271.jpg

The Solid Gate comes with a guide that features 3 lessons. After taking those lessons you pretty much understand the idea of why this putting aid is genius. There are two dimples one on each level and the ultimate goal is to putt the ball to rest and stop on one of them.

It starts with establishing your baseline which helps you assess your ability by measuring your current dispersion. One must understand that putts that pass the target do not count as a putt made.

DSC1274.jpg

The first lesson is to stand at a distance you are comfortable putting from. Then try to hit the ball firmly with the strength to reach 1m ( approx. 39 inches ) beyond the front edge of Solid Gate and aim to the right or left of the center dimple.

Untitled-1.jpg

If you are able to get the ball to roll off to the right or to the left from the 2nd level channel shown in light blue, this indicates that you are putting with the right speed.

Next, try and hit the ball with the speed to reach 1.5m ( approx. 59inches ) beyond the front edge of Solid Gate and stop it at the dimpled section at the center of the 2nd level channel. This requires you to putt with a side deviation of less than 1mm from the center line. This concludes Lesson 1.

DSC1264.jpg

Lesson 2 – Practice putting 50cm (approx. 20 inches) beyond the front edge of Solid Gate. Practice putting with the speed to reach 50cm ( approx. 20 inches ) beyond the front edge of Solid Gate and aim to the right or left of the center dimple.

Unt33itled-2.jpg

If you are able to get the ball to roll off to the right or to the left from the 1st level channel shown in pink, this indicates that you are putting with the right speed.

Next, try and hit the ball with the speed to reach 50cm ( approx. 20 inches ) beyond the front edge and stop it at the dimpled section at the center of the 1st level channel. This requires you to putt with a side deviation of less than 1mm from the center line. This concludes Lesson 2.

DSC0958-Edit-Edit.jpg

When you have finished Lessons 1 And 2, try stopping the ball at both the 1st level and 2nd level channels respectively at the center dimpled sections. Your practice is now complete!

Untitled-2.jpg

DSC0964-Edit-Edit.jpg

You can continue to go through the lessons over and over which is what I suggest if you want to improve faster or you can simply hone your skills by trying to get the ball to stop on one of the dimples. Its rather difficult to do but very rewarding when it happens. The Solid Gate by Benock is something every golf maniac should have in their office or home if they have a synthetic green to put on. I enjoy keeping one in my tour bag and letting golfers on the practice green experience it for themselves.

DSC0949.jpg

Interesting. Will TSG be offering it?

Yes should be up in the next 48 hours.  It does cost $350 bucks though due to how its made.

Im not sure if people will actually follow the lessons.  I had one before I had the lesson guide translated and simply loved it because it was so difficult.

I got to use it during my fitting session.    During the 60 min session,   I did not get a single putt to settle on the dimple.  The put was from 2.5m away ....   It is extremely hard to get the ball to climb up the slope on a straight line. 

But if you can master this, pretty sure you'd be able to aim and putt the ball to where you actually want it to go.

Pretty slick. Let's get a video up!

I think the designer was watching Star Trek when designing this :)    

so cool! 

I’m in the market for a putting aid. This looks sweet. However, I’m not convinced that trying to putt the ball 1.5 meters passed the target I’m aiming at is a good thing. That means thinking of a target somewhere else, and not looking at it. Anyway, it is probably awesome and unfortunately, I will not get to find out..

21 hours ago, bngolfer said:

I’m in the market for a putting aid. This looks sweet. However, I’m not convinced that trying to putt the ball 1.5 meters passed the target I’m aiming at is a good thing. That means thinking of a target somewhere else, and not looking at it. Anyway, it is probably awesome and unfortunately, I will not get to find out..

I do not use the lessons.  I just have this setup to have fun with and it has helped my putting.

Yeah, it looks like kind of a fun tool for the office or something, a novelty item to make practice challenging or an actual game. 

I agree with you, B, about questioning the speed issue. I guess it depends on the greens you play, but putting at +1.5m to a hole on my course would-be enough to send a lip out completely off a green...  Our greens often run at 12+... 

Re: the focus concept though, I think that's sound. A simpler thing to do there is what a lot of pros do to warm up: just put to a ballmarker instead of a hole, especially a hole with a mini flag in it. If you hit the marker a few times from 3' before you start playing, the hole on the first green looks huge when you get there. 

My guess is it helps to simulate the concentration/focus factor that you encounter when putting for a real score.