Longest 3 wood

TK3

I find Ti fairway heads tend to launch higher loft for loft compared to steel counterparts.   Possibily due to the lower CG on the Titanium heads. 

Not necessarily a bad thing but I'd prefer a mid flight launch off the deck with fairway shots. 

Many of the titanium heads I have tried in the past,  I had to pair up to a low launch tip stiff shaft to bring the flight down. 

Also, many of the "mini-driver" type driving fairway woods tend to be too big in size in my opinion.   For me 165cc to 175cc would be the ideal size for a balance of usability off the deck and off the tee.    When it gets bigger than that,  it looks too bulky for off the deck shots. 

• 1 month later...

What did Mickelson use to win the British Open in 2013? Callaway's Frankenwood, which turned out to be the original 3 Deep Pro as a retail product.  That's my longest 3wd and honestly is even distance with my driver.  3 Deep Pro 14.5 with a Fubuki Alpha shaft, my choice for the longest 3 wd.

i find these two FWs to be VERY long with the shafts I have in them:

-Grandista RS-F (DAT55G face) with Aldila Rogue Silver 125msi 70TX

-Epon AF-203 (forged SP700 face) with Graphite Design TourAD P9003x 

both heads are great for feel and control and distance in my opinion, but they also both have smaller volume head sizes and i know the AF-203 especially is a little more difficult to hit, but if you can hit it properly then it is a bomber. the shafts are both low launch/low spin too so i'm sure that helps with distance. FYI though I have no experience with any of the other bombers that're listed here most frequently (ie. Ryoma, PRGR Egg, Maruman Shuttle, Baldo, A-Grind, etc.) so unfortunately i cannot compare these two with any of the others

honestly................

idont think u can say which is the longet , bec thers 2 factors .

from the  tee  or from the fairway.

id never use the egg from a tee box. it scares the s**tttt  outtta me being that sleek and low profile top it immediately  springs to my mind 

From the tee box its hammer time. for me, no just putting it into play , hit w3aqht ever club is in hand hard!

so . the egg  isn't the  best  idea   from a tee and conversely for say the tour edge exotics its horrendously poor from the fairway in comparison.

as a fairway wood................ the egg and the ryoma

from the tee box   the Tour edge exotics maraging  face,  2016 model egg (very high thick  face),crazy fw!,

id say are  close to the best ive ever hit. they jumped to mind.

Edited by supo

I know I’m a one trick pony but I haven’t wanted anything since the special Tourstage X-FW Type T came out. It was longer with a more piecing trajectory for me than the original Ryoma or Egg. I never use a tee with woods but I’d say for most people the later two were both a bit easier to hit off the deck...but neither felt as good and I couldn’t stand the size of the Ryoma or the sound of the Egg. Also tried a jBeam and a few others and nothing came close for distance. The most recent Tour Edge Exotics and some damn thing that I can never remember the name of that Stew let me use in Japan a few years ago felt better anything I’ve ever played.

I wouldn’t mind trying the new Ryoma but the Tourstage is so good I bought a second as back up for pretty cheap.

Edited by chiromikey

The Muziik DF FW is supposed to be a monster long fairway wood. Love the looks and would love to try one, but damn they are price. And that is the club that I hit the least throughout a whole round.

• 6 months later...

JBEAM Glorious seems pretty long at the moment. Sits lovely and square. 

After trying many , the best combo for me is the new ryoma shafted with the beyond power long , straight , forgiving and an average of 220 yards on and off the deck 

Played the Jbeam GFW today and I believe this is my longest ever 3 wood for me.   Pretty easy to launch for a 13 deg 

8 minutes ago, nobmontana said:

Played the Jbeam GFW today and I believe this is my longest ever 3 wood for me.   Pretty easy to launch for a 13 deg 

How’s the face angle? As closed as all their drivers?

1 hour ago, chiromikey said:

How’s the face angle? As closed as all their drivers?

Ordered mine with face open and it actually looks slightly open. 

If we remove loft from the equation it goes to Titanium faces if the shaft and heads characteristics match the player.

Ryoma hit off a tee is my personal longest

Used a couple that stand out for distance. I agree the F3 is long but just too big. I got great distance out of the Syard XV...very good off of the T, the common denominator in both these was the FW80 7.4.....One of those shafts that compliments just about any FW.