Lighter but stiffer shafts... anyone try them?

nobmontana

So this trend of lighter but stiffer shafts.....  I am starting to read more about it.    There is a club builder in Japan who has extensively experimented 44 to 43inch drivers using 40 to 55g shafts.    Swingweight is less than D0 in most cases.    users are getting distances near and sometimes more than their 45.5"  standard drivers.   " Light and Stiff "  is this where we are heading for wood shafts in general?  

I hope so. Every move I've made in this direction has bettered my wood play. Haven't tried anything less than 50g yet, but would in a heartbeat.

Examples include Speeder Platinum and Diamond models .... 

TRPX Feather ,  Crazy 9 Dia , Crazy Arrow and some of the Waccine models. 

I am sure there are others.   The new  MFUSION shaft from Mizuno got me thinking about trying the newer but lighter shafts. 

Might just go find a used Speeder PT or Dia and try it

I've got a UST Mamiya Helium Prototype HE5F5 if anyones interested.....used, but no grip or adapter fitted.

Edited by Ian-500

• 2 months later...

I gamed my TRPX 1st messenger which for me is lightweight. First I had it in my driver - it played pretty well - after a couple of swings you get the feel for a lighter shaft.. Then I also gamed it as a long 3 wood shaft and it didnt really outperform or play worse than my p9003x or any other shaft that im gaming.. 

I find that you always get used to a clubs weight.. I dont play worse with light or heavy.. everything works just fine.. If you dont think SW is the most important part then it will be a problem as you say :) 

Dont forget to buy my TRPX and Rombax type S - (45 grams version)..  ;) 

Regarding iron shafts, I'm now playing Dynamic Gold X100 SL (108g)rather than the usual 120g - 130g range in x flex. So far so good.

Ive tried a few in woods more recently and still its a lottery what i prefer , 6x  as oppsed to an80s , as long as  the ligjter one is pretty tight like the diamana  x is  , its an excellent  choice in a  head that is sub 198  gram but a 202 gram head and the shaft gets lost and wiggly , doesnt work well at all , heavier heads with shoter heavier shafts is awonderfull match 

80gram shaft@ a max of 44.5 inch with a 202 gram head coming in at330 grams build is super.

equaly a193gram syard t388 with a diamana b 60x tipped is virtualy unbeatable for very differnt reasons

if u have a transition like fowler go the syard route if ur more like  maruyama then the heavier build will be great, wont miss amny fairways!

I picked up a used Diamond Speeder in 5X. And this thing is not your typical 50g series!!  

Very controlled tightness to it.   

I initially tried it with a Modart head at 200g but flight was too high so I’m gonna try it with a different head.