2015 Onoff Kuro Driver Re-shaft

gus

Quick question for anyone who has done work on this model. If I would like to reshaft this driver do I need to remove he entire sleeve or is it possible to pull shaft only? If I do indeed need to remove entirely any suggestions for best results? Thanks, BB 

Edited by gus

20180326_085537.thumb.jpg.ba2f447f44cd55f3a458a77bfabe630b.jpg 

id recommend getting someone that knows what hes doing to do it, I had this  onoff type s  redone fairly recently   and he left the ferrule on and had the shaft pulled.  worth the hassel , bec its a good head....the driver on the rightt obvuously

20180216_162920.jpg

Edited by supo

Thanks, yes I will have a master club builder do the work. There is a sleeve that I assume is epoxied into the actual head. Inside that sleeve the shaft then is expoxed. Will I need to remove this entire unit? I believe you are saying the shaft can be pulled without compete unit removal correct? Meaning in your picture it would be the silver part. Did he remove that? Thanks, BB

Edited by gus

I had an older one of these heads that was no good so I mucked around to see how it all works and yes you can remove the aluminium sleeve it is epoxyed in, but like stu said you don’t need to the shaft will come out without removing it.

tell me if I am wrong but I think the sleeve does have some adjustment if installed in a different position.

No it was left on  but I presume he slid the new shaft in to  it without pulling he ferrule or he wud have removed it in the beginning when I took the old shaft out.  sorry I cant offer more bec I don't have his methods to call on . thought I had an old photo of it   withjout the shaft but been deleted since.

Technically,  these epoxied aluminium sleeves need to be removed and replaced with a new one....  says OnOff.  ( same with Roddio ) 

Since the sleeve is epoxied into the hosel probably using the same epoxy used to bond the shaft to the sleeve,  shaft removal will inevitably heat up the bond between the hosel and the sleeve and thus weaken the bond between the hosel and sleeve.    

Personally,  I'd be hesitant to leave the sleeve in there for a reshaft.     

OnOff and Roddio also makes sure these replacement parts are not available in the market.   They don't want hobby builders and shaft tinkerers mess around with this.     In my opinion,  I think this is making matters worse where incorrect reshafting is being done anyway and elevating the risk of potential failure with their products.     

One thing I would consider doing would be to cut the old shaft off and step drill out the sleeve. We did this a lot on the old Titleist 905r drivers. They also had this type of sleeve inserted into the head. 

Edited by gus

• 2 weeks later...

There is actually a better way.   

The sleeve made of aluminium can be carefully pulled out using the bigger screw extractors along with a heat gun.   

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Screw-Extractor-Set/999957791?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-MechanicsTools-_-999957791:Kobalt&CAWELAID=&kpid=999957791&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1573&k_clickID=4cddd4aa-0783-4ea7-b752-f289de7e40b6&gclid=CjwKCAjwwbHWBRBWEiwAMIV7ExUFBs-3I-laum5c1XzrqCuxzOQq67eyRz7tSqEQZMwy9wdcQyoUFxoCqg4QAvD_BwE

You will be left with some small marks on the inner portion of the sleeve from the extractor catching the edges.

Make sure sharp edges are filed down afterwards.    DO NOT USE PLIERS to pull or rotate the sleeve as you are trying to extract it.  

Only rely on the screw extractor to pull the sleeve out of the head. 

I have done this a couple of times on Roddio heads and it worked well.  

Having said that,   I still hate Roddio ( and OnOff ) for not providing replacement sleeves and parts for us hobby club builders.     

Edited by nobmontana

Nobs  u tried calling them  ?

ive always found  them to be extremely helpful  with nay thing ive asked of them.

im pretty sure they sent me a few of these a long while ago .....http://roddio.com/concierge/

the fella,  bottom middle is they guy I  use for  my roddio stuff at Ebisu  golf , hes a lovely guy,   errrrr  definitely not cheap. but nothing is here... he does a top job.

Edited by supo

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update picked up a brand new Kuro and we where able to easily step drill the hossle out. It was really very simple with little to no heat. We used a small drill bit and continued to increase size until able to clean up the inner walls of the sleeve. Turned out perfect without any stress or a mark on the original sleeve. The only downside is you cut off and sacrifice the current shaft. For me didn't matter the stock shaft was to light, soft and had to go anyway.  My advice go very slow and take your time the key is generating very low heat so epoxied sleeve stays safe and fully intact. 

Edited by gus

• 3 months later...
On 5/11/2018 at 8:19 PM, gus said:

Quick update, driver turned out amazing! I'm playing it for the first time this wknd I will snap a few pics to show the final product. 

Pics please....