SP700 face drivers

gregoire56

looking for a list of good JDM drivers that have SP700 face material. let's see what you've got

My favorite face material by far!! 

1. Modart MA01D+R 
  2. Modart MA01DS
  3. Grandista RS-001  Version S
  4. Grandista RS-D  
  5. Mizuno MP Craft 2014
  6. Mizuno MP Craft H4 
  7. Mizuno MP Craft 513
  8. Mizuno GX
  9. Mizuno MP Type 1 and Type 2 
  10. Astro Tour V III
  11. TRPX D-016 

I am sure I have missed a few but this is what I have in my head as of now. 

Not JDM but Titleist C16 driver also uses SP700. 

Came across a thread about 8 -1-1 Ti but not sure it’s face or crown. Non San, do you know whether 8 1 1 is any good? 

8 hours ago, nobmontana said:

My favorite face material by far!! 

1. Modart MA01D+R 
  2. Modart MA01DS
  3. Grandista RS-001  Version S
  4. Grandista RS-D  
  5. Mizuno MP Craft 2014
  6. Mizuno MP Craft H4 
  7. Mizuno MP Craft 513
  8. Mizuno GX
  9. Mizuno MP Type 1 and Type 2 
  10. Astro Tour V III
  11. TRPX D-016 

I am sure I have missed a few but this is what I have in my head as of now. 

Not JDM but Titleist C16 driver also uses SP700. 

Great list! I think at least one of the Titleist VG3 drivers has SP700 in addition to the C16

Keep em coming! Yonex i-EZONE TX driver is another one 

5 hours ago, Duffer19 said:

Came across a thread about 8 -1-1 Ti but not sure it’s face or crown. Non San, do you know whether 8 1 1 is any good? 

811 today is used primarily for body / crown but I have seen 8-1-1 being used on the face before. 

In fact,  I believe my trusty Ping G20 uses 8-1-1 entirely. 

G20 still does quite well compared to other Ping drivers in the last 5 years.  https://youtu.be/cOVYMHhF7So

So maybe that says something about 8-1-1 Ti. 

37 minutes ago, gregoire56 said:

Keep em coming! Yonex i-EZONE TX driver is another one 

Yonex Tri-G are SP700 as well 

Again not a JDM company but these guys have a driver that is entirely made of SP700 and made in Japan. 

http://www.traditionalgolf.com/driver.html

19 minutes ago, nobmontana said:

Again not a JDM company but these guys have a driver that is entirely made of SP700 and made in Japan. 

http://www.traditionalgolf.com/driver.html

hmm isn't that interesting.. 

Zodia Z921CC is another

The newest Romaro Type R ( previous gen used SAT2041)  

5 hours ago, nobmontana said:

The newest Romaro Type R ( previous gen used SAT2041)  

oo really? I thought the Romaro drivers were using forged 15-3-3-3

It's SP700 cup face,    15-3-3-3 used on the crown. 

https://www.tourspecgolf.com/romaro-ray-type-r-driver-2017.html 

15 hours ago, nobmontana said:

It's SP700 cup face,    15-3-3-3 used on the crown. 

https://www.tourspecgolf.com/romaro-ray-type-r-driver-2017.html 

Ah I see.. the last Romario Ray V was forged 15-3-3-3 face so I guess they switched over starting with this one.. hopefully the next Ray V is SP700 too

Real SP700 will soon be no more.  Only one company in japan makes it and they have just gone under.  There are variants used from China that are not SP700.  China does some funny shit in the golf industry.  DAT55 vs DAT55G.  they both sound familiar but the two are like different metals.  Same goes with many materials including original and japan sourced SP700 vs what other factories consider SP700.

Personally I love 8-11Ti i the body with SP700 face.   Now as far as original japan materials a new version of KS120 has been testing well and of course true DAT55G from Daido Steel.

China makes good noodles - but when it comes to metals, they suck.

7 hours ago, dickyfowler said:

China makes good noodles - but when it comes to metals, they suck.

I think some are good but what bugs me is they create materials and name it similar to some really good ones from Japan.  Its really shady and hurts the original metal more than anything. 

11 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Real SP700 will soon be no more.  Only one company in japan makes it and they have just gone under.  There are variants used from China that are not SP700.  China does some funny s**t in the golf industry.  DAT55 vs DAT55G.  they both sound familiar but the two are like different metals.  Same goes with many materials including original and japan sourced SP700 vs what other factories consider SP700.

Personally I love 8-11Ti i the body with SP700 face.   Now as far as original japan materials a new version of KS120 has been testing well and of course true DAT55G from Daido Steel.

Chris - firstly, I very much appreciate you being so candid and transparent about facts like that.. 

secondly, just out of curiosity, I'm guessing then that Endo doesn't/wasn't producing its own sp700 material, or maybe they are but aren't creating the "real" version, although doubtful since they probably aren't the ones who just went under or else it'd have been big news? I ask because some of the (subjectively) best drivers/woods have had forged sp700 faces and were Endo made. I'm wondering if no such new clubs will be able to get produced anymore as a result of this manufacturer going under? 

Edited by gregoire56

Endo was using the good Japanese suppliers for their face materials.  They never produced materials on their own.  From what I am told they do not fully produce Epon drivers on their own anymore either.  

Factories  can work on a bulk order with a material that is co-developed but that is a serious financial commitment.  Endo used KS-120 most of the time in their Epon faces.  Great material,  a little soft but what that same material supplier is working on next has me excited.  I just need our factories to pony up and drop big coin in buying it in bulk.  50/50 chance.

We need to be real though.   SP700 and DAT55G do not translate into a great performing club.  Its the culmination of every detail in its design and who its designed for that matters most.

6 hours ago, supo said:

Gimme  a  super hyten  face  any day of the week .

Super Hyten is only made by Kasco.  Its a cast maraging stainless steel face of the past.   By today's standard its like a fairway woods face on a driver.   So spin is lower but its ball speeds, launch height and repulsion is lower than Titanium.