SP700 face drivers

gregoire56

Have had a few DAT55G faced drivers in the past. Did not find any of those to be special in terms of distance and feel. Now gaming a DAT55G faced 3W and that is something different. Long and feels awesome. Very different to any of the drivers I have hit with the same face material. 

Oh by the way, I think the new Mizuno line up has a SP700 face.

Edited by shacco

6 hours ago, shacco said:

Have had a few DAT55G faced drivers in the past. Did not find any of those to be special in terms of distance and feel. Now gaming a DAT55G faced 3W and that is something different. Long and feels awesome. Very different to any of the drivers I have hit with the same face material. 

Oh by the way, I think the new Mizuno line up has a SP700 face.

I totally agree with your statement about DAT55G on FW faces, the Grandista RS-F is the best wood I've ever hit, its long and its straight and the feel off the face is sublime. However, I also just got a Grandista RS-001 w the DAT55G face, and I'm absolutely  a believer 10000%. The very first time I used it I hit every single fairway which I used it for, and that is saying something quite significant, I cant remember the last time I even came close, because my driver is by and far my most inconsistent club so I use it less than my 3w off the tee because I'm very consistent with my 3w. But this round it was the reverse, I used the RS-001 a lot off the tee and the 3w only a couple times. Between those two clubs I didn't miss one fairway, and my driver is never ever as consistent as my most consistent club, that's unheard of for me. I saw no distance loss with the RS-001 from my jBEAM ZY-11 (which also helps me significantly with finding the fairway, but I still usually don't use it as much as I used the RS-001 during that round). 

And yes, I also believe both new Mizuno MPs are forged SP700, and I actually am picking up the2015 Mizuno MP Craft driver today from my builder, and that one is Endo made and also has forged SP700 face, I'm quite excited to try it out. 

The new Grandista RS-D is a must for SP700 fans!!!   Especially now that proper SP700 will be disappear from the universe!!!   

I might need to get another head as backup!! 

18 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Grandista makes very good anything!

based on my experience I couldn't agree more!

11 hours ago, nobmontana said:

The new Grandista RS-D is a must for SP700 fans!!!   Especially now that proper SP700 will be disappear from the universe!!!   

That RS-D looks awesome and I've heard nothing except players raving about it, so it won't be a stretch to think that I might have to get my hands on one at some point. and I've just played my first round this weekend with my new Mizuno '15 MP Craft driver with a real forged SP700 face, and I must admit it's bitter-sweet because I LOVE it, the performance and feel are incredible, however it's quite upsetting to know that this real SP700 titanium will soon be a material of the past :'( 

On 5/14/2018 at 11:34 PM, nobmontana said:

When will this driver be released?

Went to play 9 holes after work last night with my RS-D 9 deg / Basileus AAA '15 combo 

This is a low spin head .... and combined with the AAA '15  which is a rather low launching shaft,   it gives me a trajectory that I would normally consider a bit too low to be honest .....  but I did manage to hit a few nice ones with mid trajectory that also ran like crazy!!     The longer par 4s felt shorter and did manage to get a tap in Birdie with one of the part 5's.    

My standard loft is 9.5 with most manufacturers.      Modart 9.5 was too high for me and previous Grandistas were also high launching with their 9.5 lofts.   So I ordered the 9 deg based on my previous experience with  Grandista heads.    

I'm likely better off with a 10 deg head but I do enjoy the crazy amount of run that I'm getting with his combo.    I might just designate it as my dry weather driver. 

The head does have a tendency to go left on mis-hits.  That is possibly exacerbated by the 8g screw I have in the heel together with the 2g back weight.    but this configuration does produce lower spin.      I did try swapping the weights around,,, but the swing felt awkward at that point. 

Perhaps I need to try different weight combos to optimize flight and spin with less draw bias. 

I can say with confidence that this RS-D is the best release to date for Grandista!

My RS-D 10* just arrived!

Got it paired with the 18 AAA 50 SR flex at 45.5" D2.

Mine had the 8g in the heel and 2g in the toe as well.  

On 5/17/2018 at 11:42 AM, nobmontana said:

...The head does have a tendency to go left on mis-hits.  That is possibly exacerbated by the 8g screw I have in the heel together with the 2g back weight.    but this configuration does produce lower spin.      I did try swapping the weights around,,, but the swing felt awkward at that point. 

Perhaps I need to try different weight combos to optimize flight and spin with less draw bias. 

The first and most important thing I'd recommend worrying about is making sure your swing weight is spot-on... I see you're playing it with a AAA shaft, which should be pretty stout and a straight/low shooter, so I'd suggest (if you have the ability) that you have the club frequency measured with the head on, and then add weight to the head to get it around a D3-D4 (depending how high the frequency is). My experience with all the JDM driver heads I've had (so far) is that their stock weight is typically too low, usually around 200g, and I've personally also been fit into stout and low launching shafts, which necessitates that I add weight to the heads when building the clubs to compensate for the higher cpm of my shafts. Example: I'm fit to a 7.2 driver shaft frequency, which is around mid-range of x-stiff, and my driver builds are usually D5-D5.5 at 45", approx. 209-211g head weight, always standard l/l/l because I'm not a fan of adjustable hosels. If you play your driver at a longer length then maybe you don't need to add weight because SW increases as shaft length increases, but believe me when I say that proper length and SW make all the difference in the world.

JDM driver heads I've had: Grandista RS-001, Epon AF-105, jBEAM ZY-11, Mizuno '15 MP Craft, Vega RAD-04, Fourteen GelongD CT-214; the only one of them I was able to get to the proper SW using only weights and no hot melt is the ZY-11, and only because I got lucky that there's spots for three 8g weights since I didn't have much choice being that it's factory foamed

so, in short, swapping the weight positions might help get better results by compensating for certain faults in your swing, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.. but unless your club has a proper SW then it doesn't make much difference because it's much more difficult to put a consistent swing on the ball, and thus you could start dealing with inconsistent misses 

Edited by gregoire56

6 hours ago, supo said:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. finally a thread on a driver that doesn't  say M1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9  what ever  or , is green!!!

Ya when I started this thread I wasn't expecting it to take-off so much.. I'm happy it did though because I think it's generating a lot of quality info 

8 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

The first and most important thing I'd recommend worrying about is making sure your swing weight is spot-on... I see you're playing it with a AAA shaft, which should be pretty stout and a straight/low shooter, so I'd suggest (if you have the ability) that you have the club frequency measured with the head on, and then add weight to the head to get it around a D3-D4 (depending how high the frequency is). My experience with all the JDM driver heads I've had (so far) is that their stock weight is typically too low, usually around 200g, and I've personally also been fit into stout and low launching shafts, which necessitates that I add weight to the heads when building the clubs to compensate for the higher cpm of my shafts. Example: I'm fit to a 7.2 driver shaft frequency, which is around mid-range of x-stiff, and my driver builds are usually D5-D5.5 at 45", approx. 209-211g head weight, always standard l/l/l because I'm not a fan of adjustable hosels. If you play your driver at a longer length then maybe you don't need to add weight because SW increases as shaft length increases, but believe me when I say that proper length and SW make all the difference in the world.

JDM driver heads I've had: Grandista RS-001, Epon AF-105, jBEAM ZY-11, Mizuno '15 MP Craft, Vega RAD-04, Fourteen GelongD CT-214; the only one of them I was able to get to the proper SW using only weights and no hot melt is the ZY-11, and only because I got lucky that there's spots for three 8g weights since I didn't have much choice being that it's factory foamed

so, in short, swapping the weight positions might help get better results by compensating for certain faults in your swing, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.. but unless your club has a proper SW then it doesn't make much difference because it's much more difficult to put a consistent swing on the ball, and thus you could start dealing with inconsistent misses 

I have it built to 45.25"  320g D3 at the moment.  Head weight is 200g.   

With my 100 mph or so SS  I don't think I can handle the additional weight.     I have a back up driver aan old Ping G20 at 207g head weight and while it provides good consistent straight drives,  my SS suffers from the additional weight.   

I would like to lessen the effects of the weight being draw biased.   I'll order a couple of weight screws to play around with and see if I can get a more neutral bias to the head. 

AAA '15 in 60g is not that stout.  but it is a tip stiff shaft just the way I need it.  Based on the swing analysis at Seven Dreamers a couple of years ago, I don't create a lot of lag in my down swing.  thus I need a softer butt section to help create that lag with the shaft.      

Edited by nobmontana

18 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

My RS-D 10* just arrived!

Got it paired with the 18 AAA 50 SR flex at 45.5" D2.

Mine had the 8g in the heel and 2g in the toe as well.  

Do tell us how it works out for you!! 

Edited by nobmontana

• 2 months later...

I picked up a couple of SP700 faced driver heads recently.    Romaro Type R 2017 9.5 and  a Callaway Epic Forged 9.5.  

I've put my Seven Dreamers in the Type R.    Waiting on a Speeder TR 661 shaft for the Epic Forged.  

I tried both heads already with random shafts already to see how they sound and feel.    Well,  I have to say,  it scored very well in my taste test.    The Romaro has some type of sound/harmonics optimization built in and the sound is very pleasing that makes you want to hit more and more balls.   The head is highly forgiving ( perhaps Grandista LS-001 level forgiveness ).  For a 9.5 I think the trajectory is true to loft or perhaps a bit lower.   I am hitting it more consistently than the other SP700 drivers I have.   Not the longest driver but it'll be easy to keep the ball on the fairway for sure.    Epic forged had a less muted sound but still can be considered very pleasing for sure.  Perhaps because of  the Jailbreak Technology, I felt that I was getting more carry than the Romaro.   This one too has a trajectory that is true to loft.   Looking forward to hitting it more with the Speeder TR shaft.   With my SP700 collection I'd use them in this way:

1.  Grandista RS-D 9 deg / Diamond Speeder ->  Low Launch / Mid to low spin 

Best on Summer conditions with fast fairways.  Very long total distance. 

Wider fairways on courses that you are familiar with would be referred   

2. Modart MA01D+R  8.5 deg / Diamana W -> Mid Launch / Mid to low spin

I'd use this in wet conditions during the winter months.   Max carry and very good forgiveness. 

3. Romaro Ray Type R 9.5 deg / Seven Dreamers -> Mid launch Mid spin 

Shines on narrow courses that may not require big distances so much.  Most forgiving out of the bunch. 

I'd take this on a first visit to a new course in any type of condition.   Easy swing will keep it on the fairway.  

4.  Epic Forged 9.5 deg / Speeder TR 

I'm hoping this can become an all rounder with good distance and good forgiveness.  

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:29 AM, nobmontana said:

I picked up a couple of SP700 faced driver heads recently.    Romaro Type R 2017 9.5 and  a Callaway Epic Forged 9.5.  

I've put my Seven Dreamers in the Type R.    Waiting on a Speeder TR 661 shaft for the Epic Forged.  

I tried both heads already with random shafts already to see how they sound and feel.    Well,  I have to say,  it scored very well in my taste test.    The Romaro has some type of sound/harmonics optimization built in and the sound is very pleasing that makes you want to hit more and more balls.   The head is highly forgiving ( perhaps Grandista LS-001 level forgiveness ).  For a 9.5 I think the trajectory is true to loft or perhaps a bit lower.   I am hitting it more consistently than the other SP700 drivers I have.   Not the longest driver but it'll be easy to keep the ball on the fairway for sure.    Epic forged had a less muted sound but still can be considered very pleasing for sure.  Perhaps because of  the Jailbreak Technology, I felt that I was getting more carry than the Romaro.   This one too has a trajectory that is true to loft.   Looking forward to hitting it more with the Speeder TR shaft.   With my SP700 collection I'd use them in this way:

1.  Grandista RS-D 9 deg / Diamond Speeder ->  Low Launch / Mid to low spin 

Best on Summer conditions with fast fairways.  Very long total distance. 

Wider fairways on courses that you are familiar with would be referred   

2. Modart MA01D+R  8.5 deg / Diamana W -> Mid Launch / Mid to low spin

I'd use this in wet conditions during the winter months.   Max carry and very good forgiveness. 

3. Romaro Ray Type R 9.5 deg / Seven Dreamers -> Mid launch Mid spin 

Shines on narrow courses that may not require big distances so much.  Most forgiving out of the bunch. 

I'd take this on a first visit to a new course in any type of condition.   Easy swing will keep it on the fairway.  

4.  Epic Forged 9.5 deg / Speeder TR 

I'm hoping this can become an all rounder with good distance and good forgiveness.  

I like to think that I have a pretty good collection of quality clubs... but I always get jealous when I read your newest gear posts. I've very much wanted to get my hands on one of the MA01D+R's and either a Romaro '17 Type R or a '16 Ray V , and I really like my RS-001 with DAT55G but the new RS-D with SP700 looks aaaaaawesome. Also, by the way, the MP-Craft you gave me is still working out fantastically, and you were spot-on in every way you described it. I'm having no trouble with the 9.5* loft, it really doesn't look like a 9.5 at address so I have plenty of confidence with just putting a good swing on it. Love the shape and profile. And the performance.. well, as you know, seems second to none

Glad to hear the MP Craft is working out for you.   The MP Craft 513 in 9.5P loft may suit you as well.  9.5P was the forward weighted low spin version.   Another awesome Mizzy driver that I’d recommend to power hitters.    Not as forgiving as the 2014 MP Craft you have but perhaps even better feel.    You would also do well with the MP Type 1 as well.    They are all SP700 faced heads!!  

The Romaro ‘17 Type R is a shallower head than I originally thought.   I hit it more straighter than the other three drivers.   While shallower profile, launch is not that high.  Which is what I like.   

Modart MA01D+R is one of those drivers that have a higher loft than the stated especially on the higher part of the face.  The middle of the face is true to the stated loft.    For a deeper profile head, it launches pretty high.  

• 2 years later...