Benock Questions Thread

5 hours ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Please support TSG in helping the spread of misinformation on the web about Japanese golf clubs.

We are all simply placing an order with the same finishing factory:  TSG Club Works,  Gold's,  Miura, Itobori and a dozen or more brands all do the same.  So I want to give credit to those who are actually doing the finishing work.  Just as I would like to give credit to engineers, factories, and designers over brand names.

I constantly compare brands,  materials, tech, manufacturing... It is very useful because the majority of my customers are looking for the best or better and comparing clubs and want to know how they square off against each other.  Those are the types of questions we receive most.  Golf clubs are just products.  It's ok to judge them subjectively.

Gold's blanks have not been made by Kitada for many years.  I know Kitada well he has made the Seven SM490A series putters and still does the CNC back face and logos for the Seven MB before Shinagawa hand grinds it.  While Kitada-san is my good friend his work does not come close to Benock.  Kitada uses mostly sus303,  then carbon.  The material is not the only reason carbon feels softer.  You are also feeling a finish on top of the carbon,  you are feeling the loft, cg and the face milling.   The general rule of thumb is stainless is firm and carbon is soft but it goes way beyond that as you can make carbon feel firmer and stainless feel softer.

I have always said that Gold's Factory does not make putters.  They modify other brand's putters.  They do exquisite work.  Remember I introduced gold's first post Gauge JPN. We have shared staff with them and still employ the person who did their paint fill,  polishing, and assembly for many years ( TSG Club Works ).  Gold's best work is making weights,  making holes,  sight lines,  hand controlled milling, etc..  I repeat they are not a putter head manufacturer and that is precicely why I said I could not compare them to Benock.  Nobody can and we can discuss that in detail if you have interest.

So we’re saying the same thing really Chris. That from a tech perspective - as far as we know, there is no comparison to Benock - however from a user perspective one might fancy a Gold’s; Armsgain; Gauge; Yamada or whatever. They all do great work but the precision and capabilities that Benock have a far and above the others. Again, I have a Benock that is not right for me, but the face with the 3d milling, the feel and the craftsmanship is awesome. As it is not right for me it will not move my Gold’s out of the bag. Had I had a Benock done for me I’m sure it would spend more time in the bag than any of my other putters.

14 hours ago, supo said:

can they do a face like this?

this is my persinal fave feeling face.A

20180610_095800.jpg

They can do anything bud.  This is very light milling then they polished it off by hand a bit.   Less side spin that others,  firmer feel and some would say better for fast rolling greens.

exactly,  the ball definitely  seems to pop  off he face faster  than my deep milled putters, or rather , it appears to me it does, but that ends up the same result anyway bec I adjust me speed accordingly, and  the shaft although its just steel feels GREAT, better than my doggatis    at times ,   this one  and my yamada ( same mill) are my preferred  faces.

slowly working up towards   getting a full custom benock done and .......... the wait for it..........new odyssey 2 ball gold/black. that shud do me for the season