Srixon Z585 and Z785 drivers

nobmontana

No golf today so I dropped off my wife and kids at a shopping mall and headed to a nearby golf shop to try the new Srixon Z785 and Z585 drivers. 

They are both 460cc but one is fully adjustable and the other is a bonded hosel.    Being a bonded hosel fan,  I started testing out the 585 first. 

Stock shaft was a HZRDUS Red in 65g 6.0 flex...  Somehow these HZRDUS shafts have never worked with my swing.   They feel heavy and kind of loose.     I was hitting everything left and high with this combo....  averaging 250 yds total.   

Moved on to the 785 ... I wanted to try a different shaft but the guy there said they did not have any other shafts to try...    "but what are these things?"  Duh.. I pointed at a bunch of fitting shafts from the previous Z765 fitting bag ..  they have the same adapters as the current ones.   One of the things I hate about these golf shops is that I know way more about the products than they do.   They know nothing.    Oh well. 

In the fitting bag I found an Atmos TS Black 6X,  Miyazaki Kaula Black 6S, Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S that I would consider mid or low launch that could work for me.   

The Atmos Black 6X was going to be too much shaft but wanted to try anyway.    Started with the Miyazaki Kaula Black at 9.5 ....  but 

still going a bit high.   Went down to 8.5 deg setting and now the club started singing!!   

Miyazaki felt the best and gave god numbers but I actually had the longest shot with the Atmos ...  280 yards. 

And that was the distance with my 98 mph or so swing speed and 143 mph ball speed.  

The head is really good with a carbon crown now.  I believe the new face material is the same as what they used for the XXIO 10 driver.  

The sound and feel were really dialed in well.   Reminded me of the soft yet lively feel of the Titleist 913 drivers.   An explosive metallic sound that is pleasing to the ears.   seems like Srixon has caught up with the other drivers in the market form a performance perspective. 

The dislike of this driver for me is the alignment mark on the crown.    They really didn't need one. 

I like this Srixon more than the M3 , Rogue or G400 ... 

If you are in the market for a new driver, definitely take a look at these.   Srixon did something really good on these! 

On the contrary, the FW and UT looked hideous because of the Cleveland High Bore step crown that Srixon used on the FW and UT. 

Why did they do that!?   ?    

Edited by nobmontana

1 hour ago, nobmontana said:

No golf today so I dropped off my wife and kids at a shopping mall and headed to a nearby golf shop to try the new Srixon Z785 and Z585 drivers. 

They are both 460cc but one is fully adjustable and the other is a bonded hosel.    Being a bonded hosel fan,  I started testing out the 585 first. 

Stock shaft was a HZRDUS Red in 65g 6.0 flex...  Somehow these HZRDUS shafts have never worked with my swing.   They feel heavy and kind of loose.     I was hitting everything left and high with this combo....  averaging 250 yds total.   

Moved on to the 785 ... I wanted to try a different shaft but the guy there said they did not have any other shafts to try...    "but what are these things?"  Duh.. I pointed at a bunch of fitting shafts from the previous Z765 fitting bag ..  they have the same adapters as the current ones.   One of the things I hate about these golf shops is that I know way more about the products than they do.   They know nothing.    Oh well. 

In the fitting bag I found an Atmos TS Black 6X,  Miyazaki Kaula Black 6S, Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S that I would consider mid or low launch that could work for me.   

The Atmos Black 6X was going to be too much shaft but wanted to try anyway.    Started with the Miyazaki Kaula Black at 9.5 ....  but 

still going a bit high.   Went down to 8.5 deg setting and now the club started singing!!   

Miyazaki felt the best and gave god numbers but I actually had the longest shot with the Atmos ...  280 yards. 

And that was the distance with my 98 mph or so swing speed and 143 mph ball speed.  

The head is really good with a carbon crown now.  I believe the new face material is the same as what they used for the XXIO 10 driver.  

The sound and feel were really dialed in well.   Reminded me of the soft yet lively feel of the Titleist 913 drivers.   An explosive metallic sound that is pleasing to the ears.   seems like Srixon has caught up with the other drivers in the market form a performance perspective. 

The dislike of this driver for me is the alignment mark on the crown.    They really didn't need one. 

I like this Srixon more than the M3 , Rogue or G400 ... 

If you are in the market for a new driver, definitely take a look at these.   Srixon did something really good on these! 

On the contrary, the FW and UT looked hideous because of the Cleveland High Bore step crown that Srixon used on the FW and UT. 

Why did they do that!?   ?    

Great write up Nobs....

Thx for this write up.  My issue with Srixon is those Miyazaki shafts.  I have not hit them but the reviews from the many we have sold are not well.  Kind of like Honma vizard reviews.  

That's very interesting.   The stock Miyazaki shaft are supposedly no good but the aftermarket Miyazaki shafts, I think, are actually pretty good.  I had the first Kusala Black in a ZR30 head for a while and it was a great combo.  

I notice the Miyazaki aftermarket shafts have better feedback for stronger players.  average or slow swingers tell us they feel boardy or too stiff.  This is just me generalizing what customers say.  

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a lightly used 785 and reshafted it using an Atmos 5TX shaft.   It goes nearly 10 yards more carry than anything else I own.   

Faster ball speeds resulting from lighter but stiffer shaft and seemingly hotter face.   The sound was a bit more high pitched than originally experienced indoors with the launch monitor but the off center vs center hits sound different which can act as a good feedback mechanism.    I’ll keep it in my rotation for now.

Hhhhmmmmmm, need to find a shop to test one out.

Just bought Z585 with Miyazaki Mahina stock shaft. Surprised by the word “tour issue” on the shaft but overall performance of whole club is pretty good so far. Like this driver more than D-1 Ryoma. Will experiment with some of the shafts I have

My HS is senior speed at 87MPH but I picked this instead of XXIO X. Srixon feels much better

Nice!!  I was actually debating between the 585 and 785 since I actually prefer a bonded hosel.   But at the end 785 was straighter for me with the slightly opened face.    I’m waiting on a heavier weight to get my SW up a bit.   Whatever new material they are using for the face is hot feeling without being harsh like some of the USDM drivers.   

Played my 785 today and I noticed that shots made low on the face pretty much goes as long as ones hit in the middle. 

This is a very good head! 

What is Ti51AF cup face? Never heard of that - something new/proprietary Srixon?

3 hours ago, bngolfer said:

What is Ti51AF cup face? Never heard of that - something new/proprietary Srixon?

Could be proprietary or they took a particular material made a small adjustment to it and changed the name so no one could pin point what it was.

Looking back at their older drivers,  it looks like they have been on and off with this Super TiX 51AF material produced by  Shin Nihon Steel Co.      It's been around for a while. 

The ZT-X drivers (1st gen and 2nd gen) as well as Z725 series used the same material but it was not a cup face design back then.  

Z745 and 765 series went with 6-4 Ti Cup face and then they are back to Super TiX 51AF but in a cup face form this time which I believe are also used in XXIO 10 drivers.   

My very first Srixon driver was a 403 AD driver ...  have tried many of their older drivers.  the Japan market stuff often had DAT55G face up to about the 505 (non-conforming model)     

2008 ZR30 (Matsuyama's driver until 2 years ago) did not use any of the above material.  it was a cold rolled Ti 9    Still one of my favorite Srixon drivers to date.   When I tested it against other 6 or 7 other drivers back around in 2014, it came close to the top.   If you can control a 430cc head,  you don't have much to lose in terms of performance against newer drivers and I think Hideki Matsuyama proved that.    

AND the ZR30 looks cool too ?