Epon SUS316 & Miura CB 1008 LTD comparos

nobmontana

Yup Maru's were a black dye.  heads were super light.  

I had every set of Maru's.  best feeling ones were after I changed it to satin finish.

1 hour ago, coops1967 said:

Nice review....

But that stuff above...

?

You could check the Wiki for steel or this to fill your boots on info on metals and steels...

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/types-of-steel/

but basically

"All steel is composed of iron and carbon. It is the amount of carbon, and the additional alloys that determine the properties of each grade."

take away all that carbon 'impurity' (?!!!) from steel and you'd end up with the raw material, iron - definitely not softer.

Just very weird - maybe poor translations or who knows... grades of steels may have unwanted impurities, or its alloying components may not be controlled as closely perhaps... but carbon is necessary and 'good'.

I don't think you can generalize that "carbon is good"    It makes it sound like "the more carbon the better"  which is simply not the case for producing golf club heads.   Otherwise they'd use High carbon steel to produce iron heads.   

Miura says it takes 4 months for the material manufacturer to remove the impurities to their specs.  

I'm not trying to be a metallurgy expert on carbon steel.   Simply put, Miura decided to use this material to claim better feel. I jumped on the bandwagon and confirmed that it is in fact pretty darn soft.    that's all.  

And no translation issues here.  I got the info from Miura's website untranslated in Japanese.  ?  

7 minutes ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

Yup Maru's were a black dye.  heads were super light.  

I had every set of Maru's.  best feeling ones were after I changed it to satin finish.

Aha!!  culprit found!   

2 hours ago, nobmontana said:

I have two sets of the Miura S-01 FE wedges now and they are also soft.

Feel is subjective but I wouldn't ever classify these Miura Irons or the S-01 wedges as harsh feeling. 

I've owned a couple of Tourstage irons and wedges in smoke finish and they were not the best feeling.   

Weren't  Marus also in a dark finish?   Perhaps that has to do with feel?  

If the Marus did have an actual finish, mine is long gone. Even so, and as you said, they’re not the best feeling.

Played the Epon SUS / Modus 125 Combo yesterday at a Turkey shoot competition where we were eligible for winning prizes to donate to the food bank for Thanksgivings.   Criteria to win was to shoot  net score under par.   My current handicap is a 5.8 (course hcp 6). So I needed to shoot 78 gross or better.    First 9 ended up being a disaster where I put my drive in to the trees on the 4th hole and could not really recover from that and posted a triple bogey on that hole.   Ended up with a 41 on the front 9.   Back 9 was completely different with one birdy and one bogey 36 for a total 77!!  Close but mission accomplished.    The biggest contributors were the iron shots especially 7 thru PW.   I did not miss greens from 160 yards and in.     And some were within 8 to 10 ft but my putter was dead cold most of the round.   I need to take putting lessons. ?     Anyway,  I feel that the Modus 125s are really matching well with my current swing.   Very accurate and I am getting good distances as well.   I think I am carrying my 8 iron near 150 yards....  which is  7 to 8 yard more than my other sets.   Not sure what the differences are... may need to get on a LM to check the differences.  Maybe the Modus 125 are lower spin?  

For sure modus 125 is lower spin,  lower trajectory,  very accurate and straigth for me.   Where they failed was in feel because I likely can't unload the shaft and also it has a bit much roll.  

I should try a 1 or 2 x soft stepping to see if that works in another set.

• 2 months later...

So I picked up another pre-owned set of Modus 125 S shafts and re-shafted my Miura 1008 Fe with them. Had my first range session yesterday and they are as good as my Epon SUS316s now.  Very accurate and long!   Miuras are a degree or two stronger lofted than the Epons so I did get a few more yards on each club. Now I have two excellent iron sets that I can rotate without major playability differences!!!