My SP700 Tee box heros!

nobmontana

After getting the Grandista RS-D earlier this year,  I've gone down the path of seeking additional driver heads that have SP700 faces.  

I wanted to share my experiences with these three SP700 heads that I settled with. 

P1150199.thumb.JPG.a9575fe66c3a57d365db5c16c806ac55.JPG

Grandista RS-D 9 deg 

Low launch / mid to low spin,  slightly draw biased with open face.    Mid shallow face - mid shallow back profile. 

I love the shape of this head.   I mean all Grandista heads of the past had really nice traditional shapes and this one is no exception.  really beautiful to look at.    The one improvement to the shape in my opinion is the bulging crown.  With the previous models,  since they were carbon crown,  it looks a lot flatter,  ( not sexy ? )   I believe the bulged crown used in the RS-D also has functional benefits to help with launching the ball higher and faster. 

The sound and feel of this head is perfect in my opinion.  This is why I love SP700 faced heads.   Slightly muted but not completely dead and my opinion is that it has a soft and springy feeling off the face.  Sound and feel will vary greatly with the type of ball you use.   As an FYI,  I use Tour B XS, Srixon Z Star or Titleist Pro V1  and they all produce different sound at impact. 

The low launch of this particular head may be because of the loft I chose.  I typically go for 9.5 deg loft on most of my drivers but I think the real loft that I need is like 10 deg..  Boutique brands can use real loft measurements.  so 9 deg may actually be 9 deg.     I am thinking about designating this driver for Summer use.   Because of the lower piercing trajectory,  I get tons of roll with this driver on harder fairways.   The slightly draw bias helps me hit baby draws all day long.   I can hit it straight or a slight fade as well.   It's a very workable head. 

While workability is good.   It seems like Grandista did a really good job in building in a lot of forgiveness in this head as well.  With the right shaft,  wild misses are kept to a minimum and dispersion is really good.   Obviously, results will vary from one player to another. 

As for shaft selection , I have gone through a few shafts in this already.    Basi AAA 2015 60S,  Diamond Speeder 5X and Diamond Speeder 5S.  Out of these shafts, I felt that the Diamond Speeder in 5X worked well for my swing.   However, after learning that the used shaft that I bought actually had a butt extension by the previous owner I wanted to replace it with one that is not extended ( fine,  call me anal!  cuz I am wit my clubs )  .  I took the opportunity to try a Diamond Speeder in 5S thinking that 5S would get me more distance because I'd be able to load the shaft more.   BIG MISTAKE!!   I haven't made this big of a mistake in shaft selection in a while.   Arrrrgh!   I guess the flex in the 5X vs the flex in 5S is very very different.   With the 5S my ball has been all over the place with big big duck hooks and block shots etc....   The timing is waaaay off.   

Time for more experiments!!   Since I know that I need a tip stiff shaft based on the swing analysis at Seven Dreamers I'll be trying a few tip stiff shafts soon.  Just picked up a used Fujikura Atmos TS Black, a used Miyazaki Kusala Black and used Miyazaki Kaula Black...  Hopefully I can find a shaft that will maximize my distance with this head.  

P1150196.thumb.JPG.efd45dde71ad006cdc892a8c2bd7107e.JPG

Modart MA01D+R 8.5 deg 

Mid to High Launch, mid spin,  just a tad of draw bias with a straight face.   Mid-deep face, deep back profile    

So this is my second MA01D+R head,  I first had a 9.5 deg which I thought launched a bit high for my preference.  So I got this 8.5 head hoping for a lower launch.  Unfortunately, this 8.5 still launched like a 10 deg head.   However I have a Diamana W in this head now and the launch is well in check.   

Feel and sound are exquisite.   When you hit the middle you get sort of a sensation like dropping your face into a very fluffy pillow.  "Puff!"    Though the head shape is very playeresque,  this head is still very forgiving.     Overall shape of the head as viewed at address seem to emphasize anti left.  After playing the head a while,  I've learned that striking the ball in the middle of the face or lower will generally produce very piercing flight that I am accustomed to with my other drivers,  but when I strike it higher on the face,   it launches like a 10.5 deg head with a high boring trajectory.   for maximum carry, I just need to tee a bit higher than normal.      Though I generally like low piercing flights with my drives,  I think this Modart head gives me the versatility I need for actual course play and it provides forgiveness that I can rely on.    

As for shaft, I have had my 7D shaft in it but it just launched too high.   I have since switched to a Diamana W 60 S tipped 0.5"  to keep the flight lower.    Depending on how my  shaft test goes with the Grandista,  I may try other shafts in this Modart as well.   

I initially thought Modart was a brand that was all about fancy looks designed for rich people who can spend endless amount of money for their golf equipment.   Not so.... not at all.   Their stuff is generally designed for mid to low handicappers who like to play in competitions.    I have Modart driver, fairway and hybrid in my main bag now.  

P1150195.thumb.JPG.735f7acccdb865cb97caa6d6409aeb1f.JPG

Romaro Type R 2017 9.5 deg

Mid launch, mid spin, slightly closed face , shallow face mid-shallow back profile

I've always liked Romaro's products but unfortunately nothing actually have stayed in my bag for longer than 3 months. The original Type R driver had SAT or TVC faces (can't remember which now) and Romaro drivers somehow were not known for distance performance. For me, their drivers were not the best sounding or feeling. Luckily the 2017 version Type R came out with an SP700 face. I had to try it.   

First impression was that the shallow profile kind of reminded me of the Epon AF-153 that I used to play and loved.   I tend to do better with shallow faced heads.  This head has a nice pleasing metallic sound that is very well behaved,  feel is soft but has good pop off the face.  

I paired this head with my Seven Dreamers shaft which is my second one from them.  The first shaft was a bit too stout for me and felt dead so on the second one,  I had them mimic the profile of a Kurokage Prototype 2013 60S which is probably on the softer side of stiff flex from a CPM perspective.  Result is the straightest easy swinging driver I've built to date.   Only issue is that I do need to swing this club rather quietly and not too aggressively.    With easy swings, I am confident that I can put the ball on the fairway 80 to 90% of the time.   Trajectory wise,  surprisingly  this combo has a mid trajectory that will not go that high.   Distance is pretty good,  but since I need to swing easy with this shaft,  I can't quite get to my max distance.   I personally don't feel like these Romaro's are inferior to other drivers from a distance perspective. 

I use this driver when I just want to do an easy walking 9 hole round on a warm summer evening.   The sound, feel and the controlled quiet flight is perfect for those occasions.  

P1150197.thumb.JPG.c10a0dced50cced9fed0a62b05cae46a.JPG

Great review, Nobs! I really appreciate this kind of article -- I've missed them. So wanted to really say THANK YOU!

Thanks!!  Just trying to share my experience to see if others may join me in sharing about their toys!!   We want to knooooow !!    right?  ? 

Glad I can contribute!!  

Next are reviews of my two fairway woods and three hybrids.  ? 

Awesome review nob. Keep 'em coming. 

I got to try my new shaft for the Grandista today.   Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 5 TX .... yes  5  "TX".....   

I was concerned that it was potentially going to be too stiff and unusable.....  not so at all!! .  

Similar feel to the Diamond Speeder 5X not too stout but it swings very sharply!!   and how straight it goes!!   I love it!   

Baby fades during the entire range session today.  I'm able to hit draws with it too but the baby fades are just so nice to watch!     

The launch was actually a bit higher than anticipated but according to the Top Tracer launch monitor the launch angle was around 14 to 15 deg  which is actually ideal.    240 to 250 carry was what I was getting with fade shots.     With draws,  pretty sure I can get another 5 to 10 yards.   This shaft is really good!   For a 5 TX it feels very smooth and stable.   Light weight shaft technology just keeps getting better!!   

P1150213.thumb.JPG.c82a340b9296e277c5bde5912345b026.JPG

Edited by nobmontana

• 3 weeks later...

After some shuffling and trying shafts of different flexes etc...  I have settled with the following: 

1. Grandsita RS-D 9 deg / Diamond Speeder 6X / 45" / D4 SW
  2. Modart MA01D+R 8.5 deg / Diamond Speeder 5X / 45.25" / D3 SW
  3. Srixon Z785 8.5 deg / Atmos TS Black 5TX / 45.5" / D2 SW

Unfortunately, I am letting the Romaro go ... such a good forgiving head but rotating 3 drivers feels enough right now.  ?

Edited by nobmontana

Should that be Z785?

D4 sw at 45". Fantastic. How did you achieve that wit a 60g shaft?

Added a 6g tip weight.    overall weight is 327g.    Diamond Speeder is also 68.5g raw so it's on the heavier side of 60g. 

I am waiting on a heavier adjustable weight for the Srixon as well so I should be able to get D4 to D5 with the heavier weight.  

For me it seems that D3 to D5 is my sweet spot for swing weight. 

On 11/14/2018 at 10:57 AM, nobmontana said:

After some shuffling and trying shafts of different flexes etc...  I have settled with the following: 

1. Grandsita RS-D 9 deg / Diamond Speeder 6X / 45" / D4 SW
  2. Modart MA01D+R 8.5 deg / Diamond Speeder 5X / 45.25" / D3 SW
  3. Srixon Z785 8.5 deg / Atmos TS Black 5TX / 45.5" / D2 SW

Unfortunately, I am letting the Romaro go ... such a good forgiving head but rotating 3 drivers feels enough right now.  ?

Gonna give the Romaro Type R one more go using a Diamond Speeder 5S.   If it can carry longer than the Srixon,  I will try it on the course this weekend.     Build is  45.75" / 312g / D3   

I’m glad I gave it another shot!!   This Romaro / Diamond Speeder combo is really long!!  A tad too flexy but as long as I don’t go after it too hard,  it goes straight.  Just loving the Diamond Speeder Series!!  Might need to stock up on them!! 

I played the Romaro / Diamond Speeder 5S combo yesterday and I had a couple of wild shots especially when I tried to swing a bit fast.   These Diamond Speeders I think are slightly weak to flex.   I’m gonna try a Speeder TR next to see if it gives me better results.   Anyone have experience with Speeder TR? 

Had a good session at the range last night with my Grandista RS-D / Diamond Speeder combo. 

While I am not sure how accurate the read is on the Top Tracer things...  I was trying to see what kind of distance I can get with this combo. 

As I started pounding the ball with everything I had...  I was starting to see 150mph+ ball speeds which I hadn't seen much in the last year...  

I've been hovering around 143 to 145 as of late.    

On a couple of the shots with 151 or 153 mph ball speeds,   I got around 285 yards with roll..  which might be the longest measure that I have ever seen since I moved to Washington ( sea level )    I was able to reach 300 back in Montana where we got 10% more distance due to high elevation.  but I'm actually pretty happy with 285 at sea level.   Perhaps my swing isn't slowing down with age (51 y.o. ) as much as I thought!       Provided that the ball speed I saw was with range balls,  I think a real ball would give me slightly more speed. 

I should be getting the Speeder TR today so I might hit the range again with the Romaro later this evening. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2018 at 11:06 AM, nobmontana said:

Had a good session at the range last night with my Grandista RS-D / Diamond Speeder combo. 

While I am not sure how accurate the read is on the Top Tracer things...  I was trying to see what kind of distance I can get with this combo. 

As I started pounding the ball with everything I had...  I was starting to see 150mph+ ball speeds which I hadn't seen much in the last year...  

I've been hovering around 143 to 145 as of late.    

On a couple of the shots with 151 or 153 mph ball speeds,   I got around 285 yards with roll..  which might be the longest measure that I have ever seen since I moved to Washington ( sea level )    I was able to reach 300 back in Montana where we got 10% more distance due to high elevation.  but I'm actually pretty happy with 285 at sea level.   Perhaps my swing isn't slowing down with age (51 y.o. ) as much as I thought!       Provided that the ball speed I saw was with range balls,  I think a real ball would give me slightly more speed. 

I should be getting the Speeder TR today so I might hit the range again with the Romaro later this evening. 

Wow Nobs, 285yd massive with range balls right? 

Yup ... again not sure how accurate these are but with the same balls I don’t get as long of a read with my other drivers.   So at least I can say relatively speaking,  Grandista RS-D/ Diamond Speeder combo is longest for me.   Oh and my recent acquisition,  Srixon Z785 / Atmos is a close second but not as good looking or sounding as the Grandista just more forgiving.