Hybrids

nobmontana

So I currently have 3 Hybrids in the three sets that I rotate through. 

Modart MA01H 19 deg / Crazy STP Iron 85,  Romaro Type R 2017 18deg / Crazy STP Iron 85,  Romaro I-Brid Chapter 2 19 deg / Fujikura MCH 80,

The Romaro I-Brid is still very new to me and after yesterday's round,  I am thinking about possibly getting another STP shaft to put in it. 

P1150219.thumb.JPG.fc41247bcb9c43265d8f58f5bfb9f735.JPGP1150220.thumb.JPG.15185684b68a176f2782b8f9351e859e.JPG

Modart MA01H 19 deg / Crazy STP Iron 85

I've had this combo the longest and it is very trusty.   I can work the ball both ways on demand,  ( easier to draw than fade with my skill level )   but I feel most comfortable with this combo than the other two in that I know that the natural ball will be either straight or baby draw which will safely land in the intended vicinity.   The head has a shape that reminds me of the old 2007 Taylomade TP Resucue hybrid and appears to have quite an offset and looks like a hook machine.    Not sure what the guys at Modart did to this head design but a hook machine it is not.   Not at all.   Perhaps the STP shaft is contributing to how straight it wants to go.  The STP is known to go very straight.   Back to the head.... the feel off the face is solid yet spongy just like their FWs  and provides a really pleasant sound doing so.    Trajectory is mid trajectory but again I can hit both high trajectory and lower trajectory with this hybrid... extremely versatile.   Looks is a bit deceiving as mentioned above and may take a while to get a sense of trust that it is not a hook machine.  but once you get to the point where you can just point and shoot it will not disappoint.   Highly recommended! 

P1150221.thumb.JPG.0de90efcbec724aa80848c3030b374cc.JPG

Romaro Type R 2017 18deg / Crazy STP Iron 85

I got this head late in the Summer to match it up with the Type R 2017 driver head which I fell in love with.   This Hybrid is mid sized and looks very forgiving and once you swing it you will know that it's not just looks.   Combo'd again with the STP Iron shaft,  this hybrid is very very straight.  it really does not want to move left or right.  If I tried hard,  it will draw a bit and that is it.   Mid to high trajectory flight is what you would want on most situations.   With a moderately receptive green condition,  the ball will stop with a couple of hops.   Distance performance is really good on these.  It uses 15-3-3-3 Ti cup face ...   I mean that's how the best drivers and fairways are constructed.   No wonder it is long.   I was expecting to get about 215 yards total with this hybrid,  but I think I am getting around 225 total and sometimes 230 total.    That nears my typical 3 wood distance and so  I do not have a 3W for the set.   this 18 deg Hybrid does it all.    Feel off the face is really nice and springy, just like their driver but obviously more solid feeling and sound due to the size difference.     With how much distance I am getting at times,  I start to wonder why I even need a 3W in my other bags!!  ? 

P1150222.thumb.JPG.5f0f691bf379838e716c4a1ad2e9684b.JPG

Romaro I-Brid Chapter 2 19 deg / Fujikura MCH 80,

And last but not least,  my latest acquisition.  I got this from another member on BST and originally had an ATTAS EZ 75 which I kind of thought that it was going to be a bit too light.   First couple of range sessions,  while I was hitting it pretty good,  as soon as I stepped on it a bit,  I started to get hooks.    Found a reasonably priced used MCH 80 and so I decided to give it a try.  Much better feel from a weight perspective and the feel at impact is a bt more solid now.    The shape of the I-Brid Chpt 2 reminded me of my old Adams A12 Pro hybrid which I had in the bag for a long time.   Adams hybrids were so popular everyone had them.  Too bad the brand got dissolved under TM.     Anyway,  the I-brid is compact and what would be considered more iron like than wood.    The top line design also contributes to the iron look.   From looks alone,  the head looks anti left.   but it is small and so it does not look like it is overly forgiving.    The feel at impact is different from any Hybrid I have had in the past.   While it is stainless steel,  it sure does not sound or feel like a 455 steel .    They use  steel called CH-1 which supposedly has similar physical properties as Titanium.   it also uses a cup face construction with this CH-1 steel.   So I guess it is not a surprise when I think the feel and sound are similar to that of a Titanium utility.   Distance performance is pretty much on par with other 19 deg heads.   The forgiveness of mis hits are actually really good compared to a hybrid of a similar size.   I think this is where this head shines is because it is forgiving but with player preferred looks.  I'm liking it.    trajectory is a bit on the high side for my liking and similar flight as the Type R.   To match the looks,  I would actually prefer to get a lower flight than this...  perhaps another STP 85 is the solution here.    Overall the high praise reviews by other members on these hybrids were validated and aside from the high trajectory issue,   I think this I-Brid will stay in my bag for a long time. 

P1150223.thumb.JPG.ac3979499e677fd0d3d877bfd412b48b.JPG

From a confidence at address perspective I'd go with the Type R 18 and then a ibrid in 22 and 25. 

ill add another cpl of flames to the  inferno.. SAQRA  and FOURTEEN

saqra,--------

A  little known ,less loved brand that SO FAR  from what ive hit bats a long way above its (supposed) weight.

17*....NSpro  125s shafted. insanely straight  VERY easy  to hit, NO offset, NON hookmatron  utility.

it BLEW the modart  m019 ut out of my bag spectacularly....

doenst fell better,   doesn't sound better but boy this thing just performs, think as much to do with the 125 shaft in it. but it offers a degree of simplicity  that so far ive found hard to match.

I don't use it for disatance 9 see 125 shaft for explaianation...) I use it as a long chaser to par 5s where a pw lay up is better. and  from the tee box on sneaky par 4s it does the job admirably.

this has been the best  ALL ROUND ute ive encountered to date.

FOURTEEN-----

I have 2 of thee now so good has the 16* NS modus 105s   tee alternate been.  that I thought a  " proper" lofted ute might be  good idea as well. so I got the 21*

these are ONSET. they positively do not like to go left what so ever. even with the stock carbon shaft in regular........ yup.  its till prefers to fall right.

GOOD STOCK shaft btw , I have no idea who makes it  ,but I don't mind it   , but its going  bec im going steel in this one as well.

thought the 16* was too low to hit from the deck ,till last  weekend  where I hit 2 balls to the middle of the  fairway to the  short par 5 green from 230 ish  out  for eagles.   6 feet  from the pin  paid to the theory that they are one trick ponies!

still prefer to thit the saqra  fro mtyeh deck,  its shape lends it self to a mellower  piece ofmind, but the fourteen is a hammer.

from the tee box its unmatchable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the 16* is one club that comes with me to every game I play  along with a 5 wood and the 16.5* prgr egg MFD. I alternate depending on where im playing.

The  16* on the short tight links back home is ........well id prob prefer to not bring a driver than not bring this.

wont suit everyone I know, but if u pack a wee punch  and u don't mind utes that lok more like woods than irons.....

this is a 100% er!

20181029_073836.jpg

20181029_073808.jpg

20181029_073742.jpg

20181029_073808.jpg

Edited by supo

For sure, a 125g steel shaft in a 17deg hybrid is not something that you see everyday!! 

7 hours ago, supo said:

ill add another cpl of flames to the  inferno.. SAQRA  and FOURTEEN

saqra,--------

A  little known ,less loved brand that SO FAR  from what ive hit bats a long way above its (supposed) weight.

17*....NSpro  125s shafted. insanely straight  VERY easy  to hit, NO offset, NON hookmatron  utility.

it BLEW the modart  m019 ut out of my bag spectacularly....

doenst fell better,   doesn't sound better but boy this thing just performs, think as much to do with the 125 shaft in it. but it offers a degree of simplicity  that so far ive found hard to match.

I don't use it for disatance 9 see 125 shaft for explaianation...) I use it as a long chaser to par 5s where a pw lay up is better. and  from the tee box on sneaky par 4s it does the job admirably.

this has been the best  ALL ROUND ute ive encountered to date.

FOURTEEN-----

I have 2 of thee now so good has the 16* NS modus 105s   tee alternate been.  that I thought a  " proper" lofted ute might be  good idea as well. so I got the 21*

these are ONSET. they positively do not like to go left what so ever. even with the stock carbon shaft in regular........ yup.  its till prefers to fall right.

GOOD STOCK shaft btw , I have no idea who makes it  ,but I don't mind it   , but its going  bec im going steel in this one as well.

thought the 16* was too low to hit from the deck ,till last  weekend  where I hit 2 balls to the middle of the  fairway to the  short par 5 green from 230 ish  out  for eagles.   6 feet  from the pin  paid to the theory that they are one trick ponies!

still prefer to thit the saqra  fro mtyeh deck,  its shape lends it self to a mellower  piece ofmind, but the fourteen is a hammer.

from the tee box its unmatchable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the 16* is one club that comes with me to every game I play  along with a 5 wood and the 16.5* prgr egg MFD. I alternate depending on where im playing.

The  16* on the short tight links back home is ........well id prob prefer to not bring a driver than not bring this.

wont suit everyone I know, but if u pack a wee punch  and u don't mind utes that lok more like woods than irons.....

this is a 100% er!

20181029_073836.jpg

20181029_073808.jpg

20181029_073742.jpg

20181029_073808.jpg

I have 3 of the Fourteen 716's coming for review, hopefully later this week. Can't wait. 

1i has Diamana Thump h90x. 
3i has Diamana Thump h90x.
5i has Tour AD 105x.

Let the testing commence.... 

DSC_2230.JPG

Still love the original Miura HB3. Like you, Nobs, I almost never hit a 3-wd anymore. Off the deck, I'll either go for for the Miura hybrid or my 2-iron. I keep the Ryoma 2-wd in the bag, but use it only off the tee.

• 1 month later...

The Fourteen UT716 are fantastic hybrids. Easily the best hybrids I've hit. Aren't going anywhere soon. I even tested the 1i (16*) off the deck and yes, no problem to hit clean. Mine are swing weighted at, and get this, E8!
Have to give a mention to the Diamana Thump h90x shafts. Truly fantastic for my swing at the moment. Mid height and a flat penetrating flight. Seem to be low spinners in to wind. Looking at changing the Tour AD105x for the equivalent Thump. I have changed the grips to midsize which equals a straight to a slight fade for me. No good in a left to right wind but just drop your right leg back and Booooom!
Shot 78 today in terrible weather. My lowest is 77 so I'm on a charge......but I'm still off 16!! 
?

• 1 month later...

just an aside, I  shafted  the 21* with a diamana  stinger 70xs instead of the modus   , just to see ..

best decision  ive made. first game with it on sat.

200-220 yards not a problem.. in fact it was a bit longer than I  thought it was going to be  flew 2 bloody greens with it .

feel is a trillion times  better than with the steel, but it does  move about a bit more than with the steel.

wont change the steel bec its a lok for  the tees  on par 4s..  both serve a great purpose.

think these will/may.....  take over ALL my spots for woods this season.

As another aside, I am interested to find a Hybrid in a 15 degree or stronger loft. Do they exist? 

Proceed has one in 15 deg full Ti head with DAT55G face   

http://www.justick.co.jp/products/utility/15ut.html

latest ute I saw that id play over prob all these is the kamui, small  compact  head   flat lie!!!!!!!  nad no offset. its looks like an absolute hammer

Edited by supo