CGS Orion Closer MB

TourSpecGolfer

CGS-Orion-Golf-Clubs-MB-Irons1.png

You are looking at the new CGS Orion Closer Muscle Back Iron. For those who have never heard of this brand it is a Japanese botique golf brand located in Tsubame Sanjo, Tsubame Sanjo is famous for it’s polishing and the company that handles the CGS Orion wedges in the past has been well known for the polishing the screens of Apple’s first generation Ipod’s. This combination of Himeji handcrafting and Tsubame Sanjo’s polishing creates a stunning effect. 

CGS-Orion-Golf-Clubs-MB-Irons6.png

HIMEJI X TSUBAME SANJO – Himeji in the small town of Ichikawa has been known as the heart of Japanese Golf Club manufacturing, and CGS Orion has combined the best of hand ground wedges in Japan with the absolute best polishing house in Japan located in Niigata prefecture.

The CGS Closer series consists of a muscle back and a cavity black which can both be ordered separately or as a combo set. CGS-Orion has specifically designed these to flow as a combo for more forgiveness in the long irons.

CGS-Orion-Golf-Clubs-MB-Irons2.png

Forged of S20C these feel soft and add to that the copper underlay below the nickel chromium finish. The forging, molding, grinding and plating is all done in Hyogo ken while the finishing and polishing in Niigata Prefecture.

The lofts are a little stronger on these the PW comes in at 45* The sole shape of the #3 thru #7 have a constant center of gravity positioned lower on the face for an easier time launching the ball for more distance. The longer irons also have a 3 cut sole while #8 thru PW has a 2 cut sole grind with a higher center of gravity location of optimum spin and accuracy on approach shots. How they did this was by having a progressive weight bump that is narrow in long irons, medium in mid irons and spread wider in the short irons.

In the photo below you can see the gorgeous shape at address.

CGS-Orion-Golf-Clubs-MB-Irons5.png

So it is my opinion that CGS Orion has the best polishing skills of any of the Japanese brands, second place would be Miura. It really helps with the overall luster and looks of the final product when experts at polishing put their touch on the product making the end result a higher quality appearance.

CGS-Orion-Golf-Clubs-MB-Irons4.png

above you have some subtle trail edge relief and the same goes for the lead edge. TourSpecGolf is offering the CGS Orion closer series in MB, CB, and Combo. Available 3-PW heads only or with your choice of the worlds best selection of exotic shafts and grips from Japan.

We can also add custom blast art of your choosing to any area of the club head for an extra fee. please contact [email protected] if you have customization questions or feel free to order as is from our online proshop! Thanks for reading!

CGS-Orion-Golf-Clubs-MB-Irons3.png

Loving the sharp toe and the lack of paintfill. Absolute beauties. Great photography as always Chris.

2 hours ago, bngolfer said:

You wrote my comment Ian.

Great minds and all that....

It's interesting that they combined a stronger loft with an MB. 

I guess more people are used to playing strong lofted cavity irons before they make their way to use MBs, so it does makes sense. 

Are these also the work of Shinagawa grinding?   the overall profile and the leading edge relief look very similar to the Seven X Shinagawa  as well as the Himeji X Tsubame irons.  

Very sharp looking irons! 

I will post the CB soon!

The CB is the same Oichi head I was talking about that original S15C Seven CB was made out of and Fujimoto CB and others.

Same goes for this MB this is the same Oichi head as Fuji MB and Proto Seven MB etc..

Seven used S15C and SS400.  

Fuji MB is SS400

Not sure why CGS is claiming this is S20C I believe that to be false.   The grind is Shinagawa but then CGS takes it a step further by polishing the edges and finish better than any brand does.

The 2-D cad of the closer series is based on my design as well.

44 minutes ago, TourSpecGolfer said:

The 2-D cad of the closer series is based on my design as well.

Aha!!  I recognized the back cavity design similarity with the original  Seven CB!  

Great design! 

Regardless of who does what and where.....I'd love to give them a whack!!!