Swing weight for wedges

nobmontana

What are the effects of too light of a swing weight in wedges? 

I'm redoing my Miura irons and wedges with Modus 125 shafts but upon calculation,  while the irons are coming out at around D5 without any additional tip weight,   the wedges are coming out a bit lighter at D2 to D3 ....  Do I add tip weight to get to D5 or perhaps higher? 

Maybe you'll get a bit 'flicky' or 'handsy' with a lighter swing weight, but having gamed irons in the c9 range, you get used to it and adapt.

Are the wedges shorter than the pw? If so just lengthen them to match the pw if you don't want to use tip weights.

Thanks.   To your point,  I do recognize you'd get used to it but I should at least be consistent within the set, right? 

I don't mind adding tip weights.  

So, my irons are D2.5 except the PW which is D1.5(?). Driver is D4.5 (when I bought it used from Japan), the Fourteen hybrids were advertised as D3, but my pro measured them as E8! I've since changed a few grips on these to mid-size and the 1i and 5i have dropped to D0, but the 3i has stayed at E8 (11g lighter grip than the other 2 grips changed), and you know what, I hit my best round ever of 78 this past weekend playing this set. What does this tell me? I'm confused. I've always thought I was a D2 woods and D3/D4 iron/wedge kind of guy but maybe I'm an anything kind of guy. Lol.

rebuilt my wedges to make them closer to my irons.    they calculate to about D5 or D5.5   

Range session yesterday seemed good.   no fat shots at least but that could be different tomorrow.... ?

How much tip weight did you use?

8g in my 52 and 10g.in my 58 ....   Was thinking about how it would affect the CG ... and I  think the CG is higher with the heavier tip weight since the weight sits high in the hosel.     Likely that trajectory will be lower and spin will be higher.    Similar to what Grandista did with their tungsten ferrule on their wedges and irons.    We'll see if this is true. 

• 2 weeks later...

I play my Irons D2-D3 Range and my wedges D3-D5.  I bought a Scratch 1018 wedge from a guy at WRX and at 35.25" the SW was C9 and it kinda freaked me out.  I decided to use Lead tape and got it to D3 and it's fantastic.  Tip weights are not my favorite solution. 

What are the disadvantages of a tip weight compared to lead tape aside from having to remove the shaft and reinstall?  

I would not want to put lead tape on a beautiful set of JDM wedges ? 

22 hours ago, nobmontana said:

What are the disadvantages of a tip weight compared to lead tape aside from having to remove the shaft and reinstall?  

Adding shaft length is another way to increase swingweight.

Well yes .. but it also makes it harder to catch the ball in the sweet spot.   

On 12/16/2018 at 11:09 PM, nobmontana said:

I know what you mean about putting lead tape on a beautiful JDM wedge....  The Scratch wedges are JDM  were mfg in Japan and gorgeous.  

Using lead tape positions the weight where it belongs , behind the impact area rather then in the hosel area that a Tip weight does. 

Lead tape can also be applied higher in the head to do basically what some newer designed wedges do. 

Edited by Tzoid08

Not trying to be picky here but Scratch wedges were not JDM ( Japan Domestic Market ) products.   I don’t recall Scratch products being sold in the Japanese market at least not through traditional retail routes.   Perhaps you meant to say they were “made in Japan? “    Anyway if aesthetics of having lead tape is not an issue for you, yeah it’s easiest to try different swing weights.  

18 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Not trying to be picky here but Scratch wedges were not JDM ( Japan Domestic Market ) products.   I don’t recall Scratch products being sold in the Japanese market at least not through traditional retail routes.   Perhaps you meant to say they were “made in Japan? “    Anyway if aesthetics of having lead tape is not an issue for you, yeah it’s easiest to try different swing weights.  

You're absolutely correct...    They sourced their heads in Japan.