Nippon modus3 Tour120 stiff .355" taper shaft question

gregoire56

IMPORTANT QUESTION:

I just bought a set of mint condition irons that were built for someone else's specs, and am trying to work out how I am going to alter them to meet my own specs. These irons have Nippon modus3 Tour120 stiff shafts that I would like to keep, if possible. My problem is that I do not have enough practical knowledge about the modus3 Tour120 shaft, and there's not enough info on its webpage.
So.. since I bought a set that was built for someone else, it is +1.0" longer than I need it to be, although it is the proper weight and bend profile; however I was fit to 6.5 iron shaft frequency (which can be achieved by hard stepping a Tour120 stiff shaft 1x) which is perfect for the X or TX flex, but not the S flex which needs to be hard stepped once to achieve a 6.5 frequency. My plan is to remove the heads and take -0.5" from the tip and also -0.5" from the butt.. but here is my problem: since I am going to be pulling these shafts, I do not know if they will THEN be able to be tipped -0.5" and still fit the iron heads. If these were 0.370" parallel shafts I know this wouldn't matter at all and I could do exactly that, but since they're 0.355" taper tip shafts and they've already been installed once I'm not sure if they'd still be able to be tipped -0.5" more, or even at all, and still fit the iron heads.

So...…… my question is whether or not anyone has any knowledge that could be relevant to helping me get this set built to my specific specs: 6.5 iron shaft frequency, -0.5" from std length, std lie/loft. I am trying to achieve that result from the spec of the current set: standard Tour120 stiff flex frequency (unknown), +0.5" length from std.

If anyone can offer any sage advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks very much.

Drew G

120 S are very weak to flex.  

CPM wise  a Modus 120 S standard 7 iron measures 316 CPM 

For comparison,  DG R300 are 321 CPM   and   Project X 6.5 362 CPM 

I currently use Modus 125 S which is 339CPM  but but also use a set with Modus 120 X which measures 327 CPM and the 120 X definitely feels softer than the 125 S.   I've used 120 S in the past but felt  that my dispersion was greater with the 120 S and it just felt a bit whippy.   

Only Modus model that comes close to the Project X  6.5 would be the Modus 130 X at 376 CPM

While CPM is not the entire story to shaft fitting, stiffness wise,  I don't think the 120S will be stiff enough even with the hard step + tipping for someone who is fit to a 6.5.      I don't recommend tipping a taper tip shaft.  

Edited by nobmontana

Nobs report on feel is spot  on in my book as well

ive got a cpl of sets of 120X and they don't feel at all ike an x. more like a semi stiff  at best.....

modus 125s  are  much tighter than 120x I have  found  and  a totally different flight.

soft step modus 130x are a GREAT shaft, I have a cpl of them in play at the moment. love them

Thanks for the info, fellas. That's pretty much what I was thinking, but this is my first time using this shaft so I don't actually know, and I couldn't find the data. As always, I very much appreciate the shared wisdom of the masters. 

I'm just going to snag a new set of shafts and fix em up right; thinking either Tour120 TX or Tour125 X. 

...actually, in addition to the Tour120 TX and Tour125 X, I'm also giving serious consideration to the Shimada K's Tour X iron shafts - anyone have any experience or input on these shafts? thanks  

For reference. 

K's Tour X is 368 CPM  but K's Tour S is 361 which is closest to the PX 6.5 (362) 

Modus 120 TX is 342  and   125 X is 351    

3 hours ago, nobmontana said:

For reference. 

K's Tour X is 368 CPM  but K's Tour S is 361 which is closest to the PX 6.5 (362) 

Modus 120 TX is 342  and   125 X is 351    

You always know just what to say.. 

11 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

You always know just what to say.. 

He's the mac daddy!

shimada x are VERY stiff/boardy. if u have soft heads  .then awsome. kyoei haeds might not feel as good as we can build. miz/epon/ onoff. ohhyea, even miura sb01s were ..... thouhjt provoking with shim  x shafs...

think well

That's what I've heard about Shimada Tour shafts.   

I think the Modus vs Shimada K's Tour comparison is similar to the  DG vs PX comparison. 

I'm more of a Modus & DG person ... but I know that there are some out there who prefer the ( boardy/stable? ) feel of PX and K's Tour   

My interpretation is that Modus 125 and 120 as well as DG are more tip stiff and allows flex on the mid and butt sections. 

Whereas , PX and K's tour are more stiffer on the butt and mid sections with less stiffer tip sections.  i.e. Active tip. 

In terms of JDM Shaft terminology,   these two opposing characteristics are called   "Nebari"   which can be translated as stickiness, or viscous which has a more thicker consistency when talking about liquid substance and the other is "Hajiki"  which means to pop or spring back rapidly.    

"Nebari" type shafts are DG ,  Modus 120 and 125 and the term refers to the rather mild movement of the tip section.  

typically these shafts match people with swings that do not create a lot of lag.   The softer butt and mid section will help create that lag for these players. 

"Hajiki" type shafts are PX ,  Shimada Tour  

"Hajiki" type shafts are normally a good match with people who have rapid transitions and tempo ( "aggressive" )  and also able to create a lot of lag in their swing,     

Getting back to Drew's questions.    If PX 6.5 works best for you,   perhaps Shimada Tours would also work well.   But you would not know for certain until you try.   From the Modus line up,  I am thinking the Modus 130 would be the closer to a PX 6.5 type characteristic.   

From a CPM perspective,  Modus 130 may be a but too stiff ... but a Modus 130 S hard stepped once may be right up around the same CPM as a PX 6.5.