TECH question re butt/tip altertation

taking 1-1.5 inch off the butt vs tipping a shaft will do what  exactly ??

ie driver  plays 46 to 46.5 inch  ,don't want to cut the tip bec is SO good as is ( 2010 shingo labospec)  but icant get the fookeeeen driver to work bec its only 310 grams @ 46 +   inch I keep hooking the bejesus out ofi t, I know its not made for me, shingo isn't a big fella.

but I  LOVE this shaft and want to just cut the butt  9* head. but not sure if I can, dot want  to waste a trip to the builder if its moot.

thoughts ??

Edited by supo

Tip cut: 

- Firms up the overall CPM as well as feel 

- ( typically speaking ) Slightly lowered flight, tighter dispersion if the change matches your swing. 

- Reduce swing weight 

Butt cut:

- Firms up overall CPM but not as much as tip cutting 

- usually does not affect overall feel or flight. 

- Reduce swing weight 

If you are wanting to reduce the hooks with your current set up...  I think tip cutting may help somewhat ... 

Having said that,  if the shaft is a low kick active tip shaft to start off with,  no reasonable tip cutting will change the shaft into a tip stiff shaft.     I don't have experience with the Shingo shafts so I am not sure about what to expect.   I have previously tipped some shafts up to 2" or so for a driver and while some tip cutting resulted in desired outcome,  others just made the shaft too boardy and practically became unusable.  It is somewhat of a risk when tip cutting.    Butt cutting will maintain feel and trajectory for the most part but also will not be effective in changing the hooking tendencies that you currently have with this combo.    Unfortunately it would be an "experiment."

• 2 weeks later...

Info I was given was that one inch shorter would increase 8.5 to 9 cpm stiffer.

But, that will reduce swingweight by about 5 points.

To get swingweight back to same as before, would need to add 5 * 1.6 = 8 grams tip weight.

Adding that tip weight would decrease the shaft stiffness about 6.5 cpm.

At 46 inches, I would only use that shaft on one of your lighter heads (also one

with an open clubface).

A lighter head would play stiffer than a heavier head.

Edited by donnieu